PDA

View Full Version : How competitive are PLC Law positions?

Jerubbaal
01-03-11, 10:59 PM
I'll be having my first interview with my OSO this Wednesday, and I'm nervous about my prospects for getting accepted into the program. I was wondering if anyone here had a notion of how many spots they tend to have available, how many people tend to apply for them, and what the average qualifications are of most accepted applicants.

To give you a better idea of where I stand, I have a decent GPA (3.59), a stellar LSAT score (169), and I'm working hard to get in shape for the physical requirements. I know I'll be able to do at least a 225 by then, if not a perfect score.

Any info to help a nervous (future) Marine?

Thank you!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-03-11, 11:12 PM
I think they access JAG's differently than they do everyone else, but I'm not 100 percent.

josephd
01-03-11, 11:24 PM
Even for Law slots, which are selected a bit differently than Ground and Air, your PFT is going to need to be MUCH higher than 225. Although 225 is considered 1st class, you are going to want to run a 275+ in order to be competitive.

Not as many potentials/candidates apply for Law contracts which will make it a bit less competitive but the standards are just as high.

Jerubbaal
01-03-11, 11:52 PM
Even for Law slots, which are selected a bit differently than Ground and Air, your PFT is going to need to be MUCH higher than 225. Although 225 is considered 1st class, you are going to want to run a 275+ in order to be competitive.

Not as many potentials/candidates apply for Law contracts which will make it a bit less competitive but the standards are just as high.

So then would you say that academics aren't considered quite as heavily as the PFT? If so, that's a bit of a relief, but I still need to work out quite a bit.

josephd
01-04-11, 01:19 AM
So then would you say that academics aren't considered quite as heavily as the PFT? If so, that's a bit of a relief, but I still need to work out quite a bit.

I would be willing to say that for a ground contract, but I don't know about law or air. My ground package was accepted with an even 3.0 and knew of others that were lower around 2.8. We were all 280-300 PFTr's. This was almost 6 years ago though now.

Academics, contract type, and everything else aside I don't see a selection board taking you very seriously at a 225pft. I am not trying to be negative, just want you to be prepared for what is expected of you. Even if you got selected with that 225, once at OCS you would be in for a rude awakening and be in a world of hurt trying to keep pace with most of the others.

03Mike
01-04-11, 08:05 AM
I can't comment on how competitive PLC Law is going to be - limited slots, no doubt. No idea how many candidates...

That being said, I want to focus on just a couple of items:

1. A 225 PFT is the minimum requirement for PLC / OCS. I stress "minimum" -- consider applying for law school with your GPA or LSAT score meeting the minimum necessary to apply to a particular school. How competitive do you think you'd be for admission. As others have mentioned, you need to crank up on the PFT.

2. Once you arrive at Quantico for PLC, well, they don't put the PLC Ground in one line, PLC Aviation in another, and PLC Law in another. There is no differentiation - you will be an officer candidate and you will be attempting to prove your leadership ability and your potential to lead Marines. You will be screened and evaluated against the same criteria as the other officer candidates there. OCS doesn't care about your LSAT scores or your ability to argue a case or your GPA - you'll be evaluated based upon your ability to lead a fire team or squad. You will be evaluated on your decision making abilities and your physical and mental toughness.

So, how competitive you are will depend on a couple of things - how do you compare to the other PLC Law candidates? How do you compare to the other candidates regardless of contract?

A first class PFT is required because you can't lead Marines if you're sucking wind. You don't need to run faster than all your Marines, and you don't need to be stronger - but you need to be fast enough and strong enough to be able to earn their respect in other areas. If you score under a 225 on a PFT at OCS, you may well be facing an administrative board to determine whether or not to send you home -- regardless of contract type.

So, not to be too negative - sounds like you have solid qualifications academically, you just need to crank up the PFT. Good luck!

Phantom Blooper
01-04-11, 08:53 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=22209

PM this Captain....he is a reserve JAG officer and I have sent many to him to answer questions that you may have.

Jerubbaal
01-17-11, 09:30 AM
Well, just to give everyone an update, I met with the recruiter and I've started going to PT. I've got a ways to go, but I'll be damned if I can't get up to at least a 270 by the time I submit my application to the February selection board. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-17-11, 05:40 PM
Keep us in the loop!