PDA

View Full Version : Marine MP

bigbfoot
01-01-11, 03:24 AM
First off, I would like to thank all you Marines for everything you have done.

I was thinking of becoming an MP and I would like to go to Afghanistan or Iraq but I looked at marines.mil and I looked where all the units(forgive me if this is the wrong term) were stationed and I saw that only several were station in Iraq/Afghanistan. I was wondering if this is true or are there more units out in Iraq/Afghanistan. I know you guys probably get this a lot but, what are my chances of becoming a Field MP over a Garrison MP. I know that to be an MP you're contract needs to be at lease five years (I know on a case by case it's four). My next question is I am going to MEPS with in the next couple of days and my recruiter already put down I was going to do four years. Can I still change it to five?

Thanks again for everything

bigbfoot
01-01-11, 03:52 AM
http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/UnitDirectory.aspx

This shows the location of all the units. There is three in Afghanistan and Five in Iraq.
So does this mean I'll probably be a Garrison MP?

josephd
01-01-11, 04:27 AM
You won't get stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan, you get deployed there with a unit.

SGT7477
01-01-11, 09:04 AM
So you want to be a Mommies Pet,lol, like a former DI refers to, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Wood5831
01-02-11, 11:35 AM
It is tough to say. The Garrison MP side is getting smaller and smaller because the Corps has their on civilian police force. So that means more MP's will be going to the Combat Support side with the Divisions/FSSG, etc.

SSgt Lamie
01-06-11, 08:39 AM
Your term of enlistment can always be changed at MEPS. If your MOS requires a 5 year enlistment it will be changed for you. The paperwork you fill out with your recruiter is generated on the assumption that you will be on an open contract which requires a 4 year enlistment.

Your job can not be guaranteed to you until you complete the ASVAB and physical at MEPS since there are various factors that must be met.