View Full Version : W eird News ~ The Eggs are falling,

Sparrowhawk
10-05-03, 11:30 AM
Frog eggs fall from the sky onto home in Berlin

http://busybee.aunz.com/~gardnlen/frog3.gif

By KATHRYN MASTERSON
Associated Press Writer

October 1, 2003, 7:18 PM EDT

BERLIN, Conn. -- In a scene that sounds more biblical than plausible, masses of amphibian eggs rained down on Primo D'Agata's porch last month as the remnants of Hurricane Isabel moved through the state.

At first, D'Agata thought the thumping noise he and his wife heard on the back deck Sept. 19 was hail. But when he went outside to take a look, D'Agata discovered tiny, gelatinous eggs with dark spots in the middle.

"I couldn't even pick them up with a spatula, they were so sticky," D'Agata said.

Biologists from nearby Central Connecticut State University say the eggs are likely from frogs. And because no frogs in Connecticut lay eggs this late in the year, scientists and naturalists speculate they may have come up from North Carolina or another warm location on the winds of Isabel.

D'Agata brought a bowl of his mysterious find to a nearby nature center, after the town's animal control officer couldn't identify what had arrived in his yard.

Nicolas Diaz, a naturalist and teacher at New Britain Youth Museum at Hungerford Park, took a look at D'Agata's bowl and told him it looked like amphibian eggs.

"It is quite possible the storm carried the eggs right up the coast and dropped them here in Connecticut," Diaz said. "If you had a strong wind and strong updraft, it could lift something right up," he said.

People often bring animals and plants to the center for identification, Diaz said. But D'Agata's eggs are among the stranger things he's seen.

"It was hard to get my mind around that these had traveled up from some subtropical area," he said.

Some of the eggs were brought to Central Connecticut State University for testing, but their origin could not be determined because whatever was inside them did not live long enough to hatch, said Ruth Rollin, chairwoman of the school's biology department.

Hatched eggs would allow scientists to identify the type of frog or other amphibian, and that identification would point to a region of the country where the animal lived, she said.

D'Agata is keeping two small, water-filled glass jars of the eggs to see if any of them will hatch. He said a few seem to have sprouted what looks like a tail.

"I'm going to let them sit and see what happens," D'Agata said.

http://busybee.aunz.com/~gardnlen/frog3.gif

Devildogg4ever
10-05-03, 01:14 PM
Hee, hee, I bet the people in Connecticut thought it was the end of the world, raining eggs on them!! To bad it didn't blow a couple of bank, night deposit bags my way. I wouldn't of complained!!

Sparrowhawk
10-07-03, 03:36 PM
I've often wondered what Jery does when he disappears and is gone for days, now we know. Heheheheeee <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
&lt;hr&gt; <br />
<br />
<br />
LONDON JOURNAL <br />
Car Owners' Hero Dresses for the Job