PDA

View Full Version : MSG school for DET COMMANDERS

passtheguard
12-29-10, 05:20 PM
Can anyone give me some information on what MSG school is like for Det Commanders. What is the most common reason for a student det cmdr being dropped from the program? What to expect during the first 2 weeks prior to the arrival of Sgt's and below. Roles and responsibilities during the course with Sgt's and below. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Anyone know how many student det cmdrs were dropped in 1-11?

Beltayn
12-30-10, 03:56 AM
Since we're starting a new thread, I'll copy over my answer from the other one.

4 out of 17 Det Cmdrs were dropped in my class (1-11), 3 in the first week before the junior Marines got there due to pre-requisites issues (probably security clearance related). The 4th was a couple weeks in because his wife failed the overseas screening because of long-term health issues that precluded her from deploying with him. All non-punitive drops.
I got the impression it's pretty difficult to get dropped from school as a student Det Cmdr, since there were ones that ALL the other student Det Cmdrs hated and thought were sh!t bags, but who got through the board. The real testing for Det Cmdrs comes out on post when they have their region 1st Sgt up their rear. More Det Cmdrs get relieved for cause out on post than get dropped from the school punitively.

The first week at the school you will get a crash course in many of the skills that will be taught to the watch standers later, allowing you to participate in their training on a small-group basis with your detachment.
Every working day (saturday is the only off day) there is normally After Hours training from 1800 to 2000, which is your time with your detachment. You use it to review skills, teach new ones, study as a group for the written tests, PT, practice response techniques, or whatever you desire. All the dets do it at the same time and equipment is limited so you will need to be good at scheduling time collectively between all the det cmdrs and making drug deals with each other to get access to the equipment for your det to use. Always have a plan B.

As a det cmdr, your hours will be long. There is a room upstairs with computers called the "Cave" which is your sanctum. You will spend most of your off time in the Cave typing and typing and typing. You write up much of the individual training records for the Marines in your student det that will actually be used as their file for their time on the program. You are responsible for writing written councilings for all your Marines every week, as well as giving written special councilings for any failures at an activity, disciplinary problems, or misdeeds. Your Marines have to write responses to all paperwork, as well as write confidential peer evaluations and ratings of all their fellow Marines in your det, all of which then need to be typed up by you.

Don't expect to get a lot of sleep, particularly in the early weeks. Expect to be challenged by a double-standard of being expected to lead the class but often not be given the tools or the knowledge to do so effectively, in a stressful and rapidly changing environment, and with 16 other "chiefs" running around trying to lead the indians too.
Focus on your det and take care of them, because if all the smaller pieces are squared away, the whole will be too. It is much more effective then trying to top-down. Delegate to your A/, the senior Marine in your det. Set your Marines up for success, if for no other reason than because their evaluations of you have a say in your own board, when you are up there standing in front of the man.

Work with your fellow student det commanders. This cannot be stressed enough. Act as a team, not as competitors, and all your lives will be easier. Don't burn bridges and don't stab each other in the back. You'd be surprised how juvenile some snco's can get in that environment.

That's all I can think of regarding school. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.

passtheguard
12-31-10, 02:20 AM
BELTAYN - I really appreciate the information. It's been a challenge getting any information on what school is like for Det Cmdrs. I'm heading to school sometime next year and will keep everything you've passed in the back of my mind. Thanks! Semper Fi!

Dark Knight
12-25-11, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be going to school in the summer of 2012. If there's anything else you can share or point me in the right direction that would be great. My wife is beating me up on how the family will live and the set up. But like I said any info you can pass would be great.

Tennessee Top
12-25-11, 06:03 PM
USMC88fan just graduated MSG school and is on his way to assume his post as Det Commander in Saudi Arabia. His class graduated 8 out of 13 student DetCmdrs and dropped 25 watchstanders. He and his...

Tennessee Top
12-25-11, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be going to school in the summer of 2012. If there's anything else you can share or point me in the right direction that would be great. My wife is beating me up on how the family will live and the set up. But like I said any info you can pass would be great.

Your profile indicates you are still a PVT...privates are not eligible for the program. Nice try.

Tennessee Top
12-25-11, 06:37 PM
Can anyone give me some information on what MSG school is like for Det Commanders. What is the most common reason for a student det cmdr being dropped from the program? What to expect during the first 2 weeks prior to the arrival of Sgt's and below. Roles and responsibilities during the course with Sgt's and below. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Anyone know how many student det cmdrs were dropped in 1-11?

You need to complete your profile Devil Dog...site rules.