PDA

View Full Version : Oakley M Frames

JimJ
12-27-10, 05:38 PM
Good Afternoon Gentlemen. I have a question that maybe one of you active duty Marines could answer.
My son's bootcamp graduation date is in a few weeks, and I was stuck on what to get him for a present. I was talking to a Marine friend of mine and along with some other things, he recommended some Oakley M Frame sunglasses. I was looking online to purchase some, and it seems that in some branches of the service these are standard issue. I was kind of surprised at that, and was wondering. Are these standard issue in the Marine Corps?
Thank you all for everything you do.:cool:

hussaf
12-27-10, 06:01 PM
There is a website call US Standard Issue that offers to sell Oakley products at a vastly reduced price to US military personnel. I believe you have to email them a scanned copy of a current military ID. The item selection is limited to those normally issued to US service members, which is a pretty robust selection. Not sure if this helps at all, since you don't have access to a military ID.

Sunglasses would be a good thing to get. Most guys end up getting a pair of Wiley X's or Oakley's at some point before they deploy. They just have to be non-eccentric looking; standard black or clear lenses with black frame. A little logo should be fine.

Take care, tell your son to stay safe.

josephd
12-27-10, 06:03 PM
Good Afternoon Gentlemen. I have a question that maybe one of you active duty Marines could answer.
My son's bootcamp graduation date is in a few weeks, and I was stuck on what to get him for a present. I was talking to a Marine friend of mine and along with some other things, he recommended some Oakley M Frame sunglasses. I was looking online to purchase some, and it seems that in some branches of the service these are standard issue. I was kind of surprised at that, and was wondering. Are these standard issue in the Marine Corps?
Thank you all for everything you do.:cool:

yes and no, they aren't standard issue as in everyone gets them but yes they are issued out as gear on deployment and such. I don't think they are actually M-Frames anymore though.

GunRun
12-27-10, 06:33 PM
No, we get some ESS glasses instead. They do a good job at what they do, but they don't look as good. M frames are better, though, they are capable to withstand a tremendous amount of shrapnel from my experience, and make you look sexy as ****. Definitely a buy, even at the standard price. Good bang for your buck, since you get 3 lenses: Clear, Dark, and Amber.

And also, depending on who is in your chain of command, the style don't matter. I wore white Gascans in AFghanistan. just depends on your command.

martinj
12-27-10, 07:56 PM
We still get issued M frames, but I don't know about the other MOS's. Regardless it's nice to have your own pair of glasses.

Old Marine
12-28-10, 10:35 AM
No, we get some ESS glasses instead. They do a good job at what they do, but they don't look as good. M frames are better, though, they are capable to withstand a tremendous amount of shrapnel from my experience, and make you look sexy as ****. Definitely a buy, even at the standard price. Good bang for your buck, since you get 3 lenses: Clear, Dark, and Amber.

And also, depending on who is in your chain of command, the style don't matter. I wore white Gascans in AFghanistan. just depends on your command.

Gotta make sure you look good while in deployment.

DrZ
12-28-10, 11:28 AM
yeah.... looking good was certainly the most important thing while I was in country. Didn't want the gooners seeing me in something as cheap as tinted aviators. lol.

SGT7477
12-28-10, 08:35 PM
yeah.... looking good was certainly the most important thing while I was in country. Didn't want the gooners seeing me in something as cheap as tinted aviators. lol.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,lol, Semper Fidelis.

JimJ
12-28-10, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll order up a pair for my son. He always wanted a pair of Oakleys even before he went to bootcamp. I'm sure he'd be happy with these. I noticed that US Standard Issue also offers discounts to law enforcement personnel, I have 3 brothers and 3 nephews that are police officers, so I'll have one of them order them for me. Thanks Again Marines, and Thank you all for all you do.
Have a Happy and Safe New Year.

AAV Crewchief
12-28-10, 10:14 PM
Gotta make sure you look good while in deployment.

Hell yeah you gotta look good, but you would be surprised to see what they look like at the end of the deployment (usually like hell). Imagine all those scratches and dinks of crap that could have flown in your eyes and did not. If they aren't all jacked up by the end of your trip, someone will steal them from you, I promise.

hussaf
12-28-10, 11:11 PM
Well there should be a distinction between CIF and CTAP issue....most people get a pretty basic issue from CIF, while CTAP and/or company purchase gear can vary quite a bit.