PDA

View Full Version : Overweight at MEPs

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 05:32 PM
Hello Marines,
I have another question, as some of you know I was disqualified a few weeks ago for being overweight at MEP's, I have since lost a few pounds. However, I am not going to make weight again, I am currently 166 which is below my max weight. The problem is I was 168 according to my recruiters scale last time but was over at MEPs.

What happens if you are overweight at MEPs for a second time? I am about 18% body fat. But BMI doesn't count, so what do I do?

Thank You in advance to all Marines that take the time to reply. Being a Marine is my dream and I am so scared that I wont make it again.

Warbyrd13
12-27-10, 05:52 PM
What is your max weight for your height and age?

The simple answer is to and loose weight with a proper diet and cardio work out designed to make you lean. Since in your profile it has as one of your likes as working out, get a coach at the gym and or do the research on a good diet and work out routine that will trim down your body mass but keep your physical strength. Differant work outs and diets are designed to bulk people up or trim people down. And in your case you need to trim down on your muscle mass but at the same time keep the strength you need so you can score high on the PFT.

As for what happens if you fail at Meps again, I would ask your recuiter.

Hope this helps and good luck.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 06:19 PM
The max weight for 69" is 169. I have talked to a trainer and they gave me a diet plan and that is what I have done but have not lost weight. Maybe I will look into a different trainer.

Thank You so much for your help.

Warbyrd13
12-27-10, 06:45 PM
Yes look for another trainer becuase they dont know what they are doing.

Bodybuilders have basicaly 2 workouts. 1 is to get bulk and alot of strength and the other one is to lean down and get cut.

Basicaly you want to get lean and cut. There should be several workouts on the web and people should know at the gym how to do the lean n cut work out.

I am currently at work on night shift. I will go home an see what I can find on the web for your on a lean n cut work out plan for you and see what diet is recomended for you so you can drops some mass an bulk but retain your strength.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 07:35 PM
Thank you so much for taking your time to help me. I will talk to another trainer when I get back on Wednesday. I only have a few more lbs to lose, and will do whatever it takes.

Marine3451
12-27-10, 08:40 PM
Why wont Meps do a bodyfat measurement. The order states that if your over the max weight they must do a body fat mesurement and if your under your good.

Quinbo
12-27-10, 09:02 PM
Are you sure you are 5 foot 9 inches tall? If you are then your max weight is not 169. They are not gonna tape you at MEPS. Lose the weight with the old mantra of diet and exercise.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 09:05 PM
Are you sure you are 5 foot 9 inches tall? If you are then your max weight is not 169. They are not gonna tape you at MEPS. Lose the weight with the old mantra of diet and exercise.

5' 9" is 69 inches tall and that weight requirement is 169 for females. Did you see something different? I have tried losing the weight and run 4-6 miles a day. My diet is the diet that I did for wrestling and was successful with my BMI being so low. I dont have a lot of weight to lose.

Thank you again Marines!!!

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 09:07 PM
Why wont Meps do a bodyfat measurement. The order states that if your over the max weight they must do a body fat mesurement and if your under your good.

Apparently for wannabes they dont do the tape test. They only do it for Marines once there are in the Corps. Thats what I was told, I don't understand it either but it is what it is. So I'll do whatever I have to in order to achieve my dream of becoming a Marine.

Quinbo
12-27-10, 09:38 PM
5' 9" is 69 inches tall and that weight requirement is 169 for females. Did you see something different? I have tried losing the weight and run 4-6 miles a day. My diet is the diet that I did for wrestling and was successful with my BMI being so low. I dont have a lot of weight to lose.

Thank you again Marines!!!

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/l/blrecweightfem.htm

I have also been led to believe that MEPS give about 5 lbs based on the theory that you'll lose it in boot camp. Awesome that you did wrestling. Long long ago I wrestled and we learned some tricks about making weight ;)

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure why theres a difference in weight standards both my recruiter and MEPs told me 169. Apparently they dont have any lenance because I was 3lbs over and I was d'qued.

I have tried a lot of the things we did for wresting and once I hit 167 I hit the "brick wall"

Thanks Again

Warbyrd13
12-27-10, 09:59 PM
Loosing the water weight wont work to make the weight she needs. Not for this. i used to wreslte also.

She needs to trim down an be under by 10 to 15 pounds so she has leway when she weighs in next time.

Its going to have to be find a workout that trims her down and reduces her body mass but ensures she keeps her strength and stamina.

I know cardio is part of it, like cardio kickboxing ect. those Semper fit ladies used to kill us in Cardio an they were very cut an had alot of endurance.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 10:06 PM
I will speak with a new personal trainer and see what they suggest. Problem is I am weighing in again in 1.5-2 weeks. So I know before boot I'm going to have to trim down my body mass, but I dont have a lot of time right now.

I am just so confused as to why the Marine Corps doesn't go by BMI, it just seems that with todays technology that they would.

Warbyrd13
12-27-10, 10:35 PM
This might help you out some becuase you are a little confused on where you are going to (Paris Island) and what you want to become (Marine). <br />
<br />
The standerd is you will meet wieght X at height Y. ...

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-27-10, 10:54 PM
Sir with no disrespect, I know EXACTLY what I want and that is to be a United States Marine. I understand that it is a standard and I am trying very dilagently to meet that standard and have reached out to the Marines that have gone before me and that I respect tremendously.

My father and brother are Marines and my grandfather wounded in World War 2 and Step mom was in the Navy, so I have seen first hand the risks that I am going to be taking and the things that I may miss.

I WILL do whatever it takes to get to P.I and to leave as a Marine. I was just simply asking why they dont go by BMI for wannabes but they do for Marines. I have already lost 15lbs to meet the standard the Corps has set for us to abide by.

Thank You for your service and all the sacrifices that you have made for this country!

DrZ
12-28-10, 07:12 AM
Destiny,
Just keep working out but don't follow any of the foolish weight loss plans. It is important to be in the height/weight specifications but to be healthy and strong as well.

Talk to your recruiter and tell him/her that you are working on getting under the maximum weight requirements and you would rather not weigh in until you are 10 or so pounds under your max weight. Tell him/her that you will do what you need to do to accomplish your goal of becoming a US Marine. Recruiters are human...well most are anyway...and they will work with you if they know you are serious about becoming a Marine.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch as you continue your path to enlistment.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-28-10, 07:17 AM
Destiny,
Just keep working out but don't follow any of the foolish weight loss plans. It is important to be in the height/weight specifications but to be healthy and strong as well.

Talk to your recruiter and tell him/her that you are working on getting under the maximum weight requirements and you would rather not weigh in until you are 10 or so pounds under your max weight. Tell him/her that you will do what you need to do to accomplish your goal of becoming a US Marine. Recruiters are human...well most are anyway...and they will work with you if they know you are serious about becoming a Marine.

Good luck to you. Stay in touch as you continue your path to enlistment.

Thank You Sir. I will definitely keep doing what I have to do and I WILL beccome a Marine. I have spoke with my recruiter and he has seen my motivation and dedication, however has no idea how to get me to lose weight as it is muscle mass. So I will turn to a personal trainer and hope for the best.

Once again thanks to all Marines that have helped me

03Mike
12-28-10, 08:28 AM
PM sent.

A couple of thoughts:

1 - stop lifting weights if you haven't already.
2 - shoot for 3 intense but short cardio workouts per day. 20 to 30 minutes each. Your first workout should be first thing in the morning, prior to breakfast. The goal is to get your metabolism up and running at a fairly high rate throughout the day. Going out and doing a marathon workout session isn't going to do you any good at this point. Getting a workout in before each meal is ideal - but regardless, three solid 20 to 30 minute workouts spread throughout the day is what is going to get it done.
3 - Big breakfast is okay - make that your protein meal - then focus on eating light throughout the day. Multiple small meals are ideal, with lots of fruits and veggies. Avoid processed food.
4 - Avoid energy drinks and sodas - Red Bull, sodas, Starbucks - all gotta go. Water, water, water.
5 - Sleep - lots of folks get this wrong, but the hours of sleep that you get prior to midnight are important because you still need to get up early and get in that first PT session before you do anything else. Staying up late and sleeping in will hurt your effort - hit the rack early and get up early.

Good luck.

Warbyrd13
12-28-10, 10:29 PM
PM sent.

A couple of thoughts:

1 - stop lifting weights if you haven't already.
2 - shoot for 3 intense but short cardio workouts per day. 20 to 30 minutes each. Your first workout should be first thing in the morning, prior to breakfast. The goal is to get your metabolism up and running at a fairly high rate throughout the day. Going out and doing a marathon workout session isn't going to do you any good at this point. Getting a workout in before each meal is ideal - but regardless, three solid 20 to 30 minute workouts spread throughout the day is what is going to get it done.
3 - Big breakfast is okay - make that your protein meal - then focus on eating light throughout the day. Multiple small meals are ideal, with lots of fruits and veggies. Avoid processed food.
4 - Avoid energy drinks and sodas - Red Bull, sodas, Starbucks - all gotta go. Water, water, water.
5 - Sleep - lots of folks get this wrong, but the hours of sleep that you get prior to midnight are important because you still need to get up early and get in that first PT session before you do anything else. Staying up late and sleeping in will hurt your effort - hit the rack early and get up early.

Good luck.
Good advice 03mike

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-29-10, 01:32 PM
So I weighed in at my rs today and was 167 max is 169. So my recruiter wants to send me to MEPs on Wednesday 20100105, I know I'll be 165 by then, but is that enough?
Should I go or tell my recruiter that I would rather wait until Im farther under my max weight?

I am just worried that four pounds under is not enough, what is your opinion? I dont want to risk my enlistment!

Warbyrd13
12-29-10, 03:06 PM
It would be better if you are close to 10 pounds under weight. You should know giving your wrestling background that your weight can shift giving on what ya ate and how much water you drank during the day an the night before.

An since your a female you weight might shift a little give or take how close you are to your cycle.

So there is several things to consider and you know your body the best.

My suggestion is 10 pounds under should be a goal an that would handle any weight gain or loss depending on the above factors.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-29-10, 03:33 PM
Yea I understand that however, my recruiter seemed very content on me being 4-5lbs under and he suggested no eating or drinking 24hrs before weighing in. Just as we do for wrestling.

I'll keep working on my weight and see were I am on Monday, and then decide with my recruiter. Because for wrestling I have lost 5-10 lbs for weigh ins but thats all water weight. So I can lose water weight and be at about 160ish.

Opinions?!?!

Warbyrd13
12-29-10, 04:23 PM
I would go for 10 pounds under and loos the weight over time.

It would be a bad idea not to eat for 24 hours considering you should have a blood test done at Meps so there is a good chance you would pass out when they take your blood, not to mention the fatgue ect from not eating all day.

usmcdjcs1ssy
12-29-10, 05:01 PM
I'll talk to my recruiter on Tuesday once we see where I'm at as far as my weight goes. I am just weighing in I had my physical 20101104 and was over, so its just for my weight. But I do agree that I need to be under by ten pounds.

Thanks again

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-05-11, 05:04 PM
Hello Marines,
I just wanted to inform you guys that I made weight, and will be having my consult in 2 weeks and then taking my oath of enlistment.

Thank You all so much for helping me and I plan on continuing to lose weight until I ship to boot camp!!!!

SSgt Lamie
01-06-11, 08:01 AM
From my experiences of working at MEPS over the past year the weight is not entirely an issue to stress out over too much. When you got DQ'd at MEPS they more than likely gave you a "RBJ" date. This is that date that the doctors deemed a safe time frame for you to lose the weight that you need to. Also depending on your weight at MEPS, and how much over the 169 you were, it would have required a Commanding General Waiver no matter your body fat % or BMI.

I would just suggest to do what you need to in order to lose the few pounds that you need to in order to enlist. Once you have enlisted you will be able to relax a little, but not much, because there is a different standard for you to ship to Parris Island.

Best of luck to you.

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-12-11, 09:49 PM
Hello Marines,
So I received word today that I will be going back to MEP's 20100120 for my consult. Then will be swearing in on the 1st on February. My recruiter says I will be a quick shipper so I should be shipping to Parris Island by the middle of April if not sooner.

Thank You so much to all of the Marines that helped me.

Current Weight: 162
F.A.H-86
Crunches- 87
1.5 Mi - 11:16

03Mike
01-13-11, 07:55 AM
Congrats Destiny - good luck! Be sure to come back to these boards as a Marine once you graduate boot camp.

usmcdjcs1ssy
01-13-11, 06:55 PM
Thank You so much Sir. I will make sure to do so, I still have a few more steps before its all official, but I'm almost there.

Tennessee Top
02-01-11, 05:36 PM
Good luck to you and let us know how your journey goes.

usmcdjcs1ssy
02-01-11, 07:11 PM
Yes Sir,
I will definitely do so, I am currently disqualified waiting and praying for a waiver while continueing to workout.