PDA

View Full Version : 29 Palms

Boot2010
12-25-10, 11:34 AM
Good Morning Marines,
Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic, but here goes. I just graduated from San Diego. I have Mct in a couple weeks, and after that i'm going to 29 Palms for my school. My mos is 0651 Data Networking. I was told 29 palms is not the best place to be at. What can i expect from my school, and what are the average day like? Does the weather/ Sand really kill your car? :usmc:

m14ed
12-25-10, 12:11 PM
Ponder the Nickname.......29 STUMPS.

NOW , the good news.
Some folks have survived the duty station.
Some have even liked it.
and Rumor has it , you get a good head start to the gambeling joints up the road.

SGT7477
12-25-10, 05:24 PM
29 Stumps says it all,lol, Semper Fidelis.

micarr57
12-25-10, 07:04 PM
29 not that bad you are about 2 hrs from anything
hot in the summer spring and fall cold in the winter come to think of it it did suck

Chadly
12-27-10, 09:52 AM
Its not that bad. The Single Marine Program does a lot of activities and trips to places like Vegas, Hollywood, disneyland, etc. and its very cheap for you. The base and town have everything you need, bowling alley, golf course, building a new huge PX right now, movie theater for $1, restaraunts, clubs, and so on. You will be here for less than 6 months so your car will be fine.

Average day is like anyother day in the Corps, only better. PT in the morning, go to work (class), get off at 1630, chow X 3, no deployments or time in the field. You will be with Bravo Co. and the 0651 course is one of the harder ones out there. You will earn alot of certifications for the course that will help you if you decide to get out after your time is up.

If you get anything from this, remember these words: No matter what you do, dont be stupid! Go out, have fun, but if you breaking a rule dont be stupid enough to get caught. The biggest problem is underage drinking. I would say 90% of the Marines here do it, the stupid ones get busted.

You have to have a decent GT score to get that MOS so your are intelligent, use your brain to stay out of trouble, and dont smoke spice.

Semper Fi

WKranz
12-28-10, 06:05 AM
It's gonna suck more because you're in the Marine Corps then its gonna suck because you're in 29 palms.

jrhd97
12-28-10, 11:28 AM
The two times I was there, I liked it better than Lejeune. It comes down to what you make of it. Stay away from the sh!tbirds that sit around b!tching and moaning all the time about how much it sucks and drink all the time.

Chadly
12-28-10, 12:08 PM
I couldnt agree more with jrhd97. My first unit was Marine Barracks Guantanamo Bay. Wanna talk about a sh!tty place to be? That was it, but the other Marines in that unit made it a great place. Made some of the best friends ever and had a wonderful tour of duty. Since we couldnt leave base we all hung out together every night and partied every weekend. It was the best duty station I ever had, and everyone told me it was gonna be terrible. Just surround yourself with good people and make the most of your time here.

Boot2010
12-28-10, 02:10 PM
Thank you Marines. I really appreciate it.

Trucrimsongold
12-28-10, 09:10 PM
I was in 1/7 both Weapons Platoon A CO and before that Heavy Gunns Patoon WPNS Company, It was way better than nasty Camp Lejunne. It's the dessert. Awesome weight room, awesome base swimming pool, base bowling alley good PX..Drive in movie theatre right off base Riverside an awesome party town only like one hour and half away and the best city in the United States San Diego three hours. You also get to blow up more stuff there than on any other base. I ended up loving the place, you just have to give it time. The first two weeks it'll blow your mind and you will be in shock..also the chow hall and the food was the best i ever had through out my entire time in the Corps and I was stationed on Navy bases a plenty. chin up you will be fine.

Casedizzy2821
12-28-10, 10:28 PM
Good Morning Marines,
Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic, but here goes. I just graduated from San Diego. I have Mct in a couple weeks, and after that i'm going to 29 Palms for my school. My mos is 0651 Data Networking. I was told 29 palms is not the best place to be at. What can i expect from my school, and what are the average day like? Does the weather/ Sand really kill your car? :usmc:

You can't bring your car or dependents to 29 palms as an 06 MOS. You can if you have a 28xx MOS because the school is longer. You have an 06xx MOS and will be put in Bravo Company, and don't rate a vehicle, nor can you ride with other Marines who do rate a vehicle. Welcome to walking and taxi cabs.

AAV Crewchief
12-29-10, 01:37 AM
Good Morning Marines,
Buy a crotch rocket and ride it as fast as you can.

AAV Crewchief
12-29-10, 01:39 AM
You can't bring your car or dependents to 29 palms as an 06 MOS. You can if you have a 28xx MOS because the school is longer. You have an 06xx MOS and will be put in Bravo Company, and don't rate a vehicle, nor can you ride with other Marines who do rate a vehicle. Welcome to walking and taxi cabs.

Is the commander taking kick backs from taxi companies or what?:mad:

sparkie
12-29-10, 08:23 AM
I was 18 at the stumps in 2800 school. Never even went off base. Brought my run time way down cause that was all there was to do.
We did have the scorpion thing going. You could own one, but you had to dig it up bare handed in front of witnesses. Then you were in the fight club.

Marines always find things to do.

Barry O Free
12-29-10, 02:48 PM
I have attended the schools there for 3 summers and played many war games out there as well. My advice to you is:

If you're a good student, focus on your studies. I finished 1/22 and the rewards are great!

Try not to over-indulge in:

1. Drinking

2. Eating

3. Drugs

4. Women looking for husbands...

Find a hobby, befriend guys who share the same values as you. Try bowling, horse shoes, PT, etc. to be the sharpest you can before you report into your first duty station.

Save money!!!

Plan your college career if possible.

Semper Fi!~ ;)

CplFly
12-31-10, 06:08 AM
Good Morning Marines,
I was there for 3 years [78-81] I didn't mind the place. YES it get's hot!!, its the Mojave Dessert!! we didn't think it was hot till it was 105+. Nice weather most of the time,70-80's.saw snow once. You will get a nice tan. It gets cold at night in the field. Yes it will sand blast your windshield/bumper/hood[small pits all on the front of car] If you go the the field for a week and its real hot,when you come back your car might be stuck in the asphalt!!![been there!!] Go to Joshua Tree Monument, Big Bear is a nice place to get away[cooler,trees], the tram in Palm Springs, go to Parker,Az,Lake Havazu [sp], There used to be a floating bar,in Parker,that had wet tee-shirt contests:thumbup: You get out of it what you put in it, If your looking for Night life/action wrong place. I was there along time ago ,so the base has changed so can't speak about that. It sucks at times, but its also nice.

SgtThrasher
12-31-10, 09:34 AM
I was there 17 months in 66-67-68 before I went to Vietnam.When we arrived, it looked like the moonscape,but was the best duty station.You're 65 miles from Palm Springs,Big Bear, close to LA and the beaches,Las Vegas.We used to rent cars and go to San Luis,Mexico for the weekend,Probably too dangerous to go there now,but the place grows on you and was my favorite duty station ,Gitmo was the worst duty station of my era .It gets cold out in the field,don't forget the sleeping bag ,if you go afield.

SniperBait0621
01-07-11, 04:38 AM
I was Permanent at your MOS school, and believe me, it's no picnic at first. Once you finally settle into the place and start making friend, though, it gets a lot better. Hell, I miss the Stumps.

JoshLittle
01-10-11, 01:41 AM
Alright, most of the posts here, except a select few, are all talking about it as if it were going to be your duty station. I was there from November of 2009 to January of 2010. As a student, there are a lot of restrictions that they tell you, but you normally won't listen to... Not being able to ride with any of the Alpha or Charlie students. With you being Data, you'll be in the Bravo platoon when you first get there, it's not that bad... Working parties all the time, as well as firewatch and security events. 29 is not that bad of a place. You have the single marine program that will keep you entertained. You have a pretty big PX down there, not too bad, and your barracks, as a student, are close to the chow hall, it's nice. (29 has one of the nicest chow halls I've ever seen, honest) Since you are going to be there late winter, early spring time frame, and may not leave there until beginning of Summer. You'll enjoy it for the time you're there, there will be bad days, but just deal with them. Oh, and a lot of briefs, ALOT of briefs-.- Just enjoy it.

MintusMaximus
01-11-11, 05:28 AM
Good Morning Marines,

Sorry I'm a "johhny come lately' to this thread but...
Being a Sgt in the 0651 field and have been to the School house as a PFC and LCpl for the 0651 course, and again as a Cpl for the supervisors course... I've had my fair share of MCCES.

They'll bus you to 29 palms. There you will spend some time in SRC, then MAT(marine awaiting training) platoon. Eventually you'll pick up with a class and start your typical day. PT in the morning, chow, school time, break at lunch, more classes, and then get out around 1630 ish each day pending what is taught.

You won't have a car there. 29 is... interesting. I found being in the schoolhouse is kinda sucky over all. Was sort of fun though the second time around. Kids from Alpha company think they're special because they are in school so long they assume everyone in Bravo is a boot. Had a few times an Alpha Company guy tried to "devil dog" me in civvies... only to turn pale as a ghost when I asked for his ID and showed him mine >:)

Anyway as far as the fleet goes... our job is very very very different depending on where you go. Basically most elements of a unit are broken down into numbers.. 1 is your admin, 2 being your Intel, 3 training 4 supply...etc

We are the 6. S-6 at Bn lvl G6 at division and up ... J6 being joint.

I've worked in a Comm company Data Platoon, BN S6, and the highest echelon of Marfor.

In garrison your job is to be working party for your Bn's daily needs. You do 'training' sometimes in your bay, sit back and joke, PT... yaddi yadda. In the field on exercises, operations, and in country, that's when you actually have a job.

Now in our field it's all about WHAT YOU KNOW. You can be a **** hot LCpl and run stuff. In my first platoon whichever gear you worked on pretty defined our caste system. Boots worked the helpdesk, senior lances the servers, Cpls the routers and switches, and Sgt/senior Cpls DSIDS,DDSR,SWAN...etc

However here at MFE we don't have field gear and there is no NMCI so we support our own network. I work the helpdesk for the MITSC. So here everyone works the helpdesk and it's not the lower echelon billet.

Anyway there's lots I can share and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up or email my USMC email.

Casedizzy2821
01-11-11, 05:36 AM
Sorry I'm a "johhny come lately' to this thread but...
Being a Sgt in the 0651 field and have been to the School house as a PFC and LCpl for the 0651 course, and again as a Cpl for the supervisors course... I've had my fair share of MCCES.

They'll bus you to 29 palms. There you will spend some time in SRC, then MAT(marine awaiting training) platoon. Eventually you'll pick up with a class and start your typical day. PT in the morning, chow, school time, break at lunch, more classes, and then get out around 1630 ish each day pending what is taught.

You won't have a car there. 29 is... interesting. I found being in the schoolhouse is kinda sucky over all. Was sort of fun though the second time around. Kids from Alpha company think they're special because they are in school so long they assume everyone in Bravo is a boot. Had a few times an Alpha Company guy tried to "devil dog" me in civvies... only to turn pale as a ghost when I asked for his ID and showed him mine >:)

Anyway as far as the fleet goes... our job is very very very different depending on where you go. Basically most elements of a unit are broken down into numbers.. 1 is your admin, 2 being your Intel, 3 training 4 supply...etc

We are the 6. S-6 at Bn lvl G6 at division and up ... J6 being joint.

I've worked in a Comm company Data Platoon, BN S6, and the highest echelon of Marfor.

In garrison your job is to be working party for your Bn's daily needs. You do 'training' sometimes in your bay, sit back and joke, PT... yaddi yadda. In the field on exercises, operations, and in country, that's when you actually have a job.

Now in our field it's all about WHAT YOU KNOW. You can be a **** hot LCpl and run stuff. In my first platoon whichever gear you worked on pretty defined our caste system. Boots worked the helpdesk, senior lances the servers, Cpls the routers and switches, and Sgt/senior Cpls DSIDS,DDSR,SWAN...etc

However here at MFE we don't have field gear and there is no NMCI so we support our own network. I work the helpdesk for the MITSC. So here everyone works the helpdesk and it's not the lower echelon billet.

Anyway there's lots I can share and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up or email my USMC email.

And then me Techcon comes over to you and asks why you're jacked up.

Don't forget about watching movies constantly in the field once your gear is up.

MintusMaximus
01-11-11, 06:33 AM
And then me Techcon comes over to you and asks why you're jacked up.

Don't forget about watching movies constantly in the field once your gear is up.

Hahaha oh lord.

ME:Techcon ...hey what do yall do again?
Controler: Uh we sit between you guys and MUX.
ME: Riiight... so your basically useless because anyone can flip a switch on a card?
Controler: Yuuuup!

^ gospel. lol

The movies thing... >.< maybe if your SYSCON is cool, your shift supervisor is cool, and you are on night shift.

IE: you're on my shift and it's night time. It's a party.