PDA

View Full Version : 0351 / reserves questions

raveux
12-24-10, 10:34 PM
Hello everyone, and happy holidays!

I'm interested in joining the Marine Corps as an 0351, however I have a few questions about the MOS (and the reserves) I'm hoping people can shed some light on.

1. Since 0351s don't have DRAGONs now, are they pretty much 0311s with a SMAW on their back? I'm aware of the requirement differences like a higher GT score, demo training, and the fact they are listed as "bunker breachers", but do they (in the real world) pretty much have 0311 duties?

2. Is it generally true that 0351s are bounced around a bit, giving them experience (and familiarity) with most other infantry MOSs?

3. Is it possible to still be a 0351? I enjoy being an all-arounder (from the previous question), but it seems like not many people are being accepted as active duty 0351s, and are instead being directed to 0352s or 0311s. However it seems if you go reserves, you're guaranteed 0351 when you deploy.

4. If I were to join the reserves, is this the standard order of things? boot camp -> SOI -> drill for 6 years -> IRR for 2? (assuming I go with the 6/2 plan)

5. Where do I go after SOI? I assume it's the closest Fort near you, but I haven't gotten a confirmation on this. Also, what is the training like, since it's broken up over a long period of time?

6. Just to make sure, but reserves are more likely to deploy now, right? I'm aiming for an education degree (I want to teach physics to HS/college) and would like my education to continue, but I'd also like to serve for a while as well.

Sorry it's fairly lengthy, but I appreciate any answers you may give.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Bonus questions:

7. How fun is Assaultman?
8. Has the MOS changed any from this page? Link (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0351new.htm)
9. How often do you get to use explosives?
10. Can you see this? :]

josephd
12-24-10, 10:51 PM
1. don't know

2. don't know

3. don't know

4. Yes...boot camp, SOI/ITB, then off to your reserve unit for 6 yrs drilling reservist and 2 IRR

5. If your in the reserves you go to whatever reserve unit you are contracted to (is your reserve unit an infantry or weapons co.?...if not say goodbye to your 03xx MOS)

6. Can't really answer that because reserve units are not really on a deployment schedule, but you yourself can always deploy by volunteering and doing individual augments. Just have to put in the leg work to get it done.

7. don't know

8. don't know

9. don't know

raveux
12-25-10, 12:48 PM
Hey thanks for the reply! Merry Christmas.

Are you typically sent to your state's reserve unit? If so, I might be screwed.

I'm in Washington State, and the units listed (found here (http://www.usmcra.org/Units.html)) don't seem like infantry/combat units..

josephd
12-25-10, 12:55 PM
Hey thanks for the reply! Merry Christmas.

Are you typically sent to your state's reserve unit? If so, I might be screwed.

I'm in Washington State, and the units listed (found here (http://www.usmcra.org/Units.html)) don't seem like infantry/combat units..

Yes you get contracted to whatever is closest to your home of record address/where you live and whatever MOSs they have available at that unit.

Looks like you'll have a choice between tanks, intel, landing support, artillery, and whatever support MOSs they have within those units(probably motor T, heavy equipment, supply, some admin.)

GunRun
12-26-10, 07:14 PM
Hello everyone, and happy holidays!

I'm interested in joining the Marine Corps as an 0351, however I have a few questions about the MOS (and the reserves) I'm hoping people can shed some light on.

1. Since 0351s don't have DRAGONs now, are they pretty much 0311s with a SMAW on their back? I'm aware of the requirement differences like a higher GT score, demo training, and the fact they are listed as "bunker breachers", but do they (in the real world) pretty much have 0311 duties?

2. Is it generally true that 0351s are bounced around a bit, giving them experience (and familiarity) with most other infantry MOSs?

3. Is it possible to still be a 0351? I enjoy being an all-arounder (from the previous question), but it seems like not many people are being accepted as active duty 0351s, and are instead being directed to 0352s or 0311s. However it seems if you go reserves, you're guaranteed 0351 when you deploy.

4. If I were to join the reserves, is this the standard order of things? boot camp -> SOI -> drill for 6 years -> IRR for 2? (assuming I go with the 6/2 plan)

5. Where do I go after SOI? I assume it's the closest Fort near you, but I haven't gotten a confirmation on this. Also, what is the training like, since it's broken up over a long period of time?

6. Just to make sure, but reserves are more likely to deploy now, right? I'm aiming for an education degree (I want to teach physics to HS/college) and would like my education to continue, but I'd also like to serve for a while as well.

Sorry it's fairly lengthy, but I appreciate any answers you may give.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Bonus questions:

7. How fun is Assaultman?
8. Has the MOS changed any from this page? Link (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0351new.htm)
9. How often do you get to use explosives?
10. Can you see this? :]
1-While in fact Assaultmen have higher standards when it comes to GT score and other specialties, unless they actually need to, they are just 11s with a Smaw. In fact, many times, they would be used to supplement 11 squads when they were short on men.

2-Yes. Especially in Afghanistan, where in some places the use of rockets is somewhat restricted, we had some of our assaultmen take the roles of Turret gunners, and pacing the machinegunners (like myself) on the ground to fortify Patrol bases. They done some of everything, fire machinegunns, drop mortar rounds and stuff like that.

3-I heard from my buddies that 0351s arent being trained in every class. Seems like the need for them is going down, but we still get them, nonetheless, so you can still be an assaultman. Its not just 51s that get turned into other MOS in the fleet. We have some 31s that became 11s, and 41s that became TOW gunners. Just depends on the need of the unit that you go to.

4-No clue.

5-I don't know.

6-...

7-According to my 51 buddies, when they actually get to do what they are meant to do, its fun. I wouldn't know otherwise. I'm an 0331.

8-I dont' know.

9- The ones I was with used them quite a few time. Nothing huge.

Keep in mind this is what I observe in my Platoon. I am, like I said, a Machinegunner.

Mahalo, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

raveux
12-27-10, 01:23 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply GunRun. I think I'm pretty good on info now.

Happy Holidays to you too!

WKranz
12-28-10, 05:57 AM
1. So does anyone when their weapons system isnt needed.

2. Within my unit, 0351s are *****d out.

3. Every ******* asks this question like they are about to serve 20 years in a specific MOS. Yes you can get it.

4. You forgot to ask about when you get to take advantage of military discounts despite living at your parents house 3 1/2 weeks a month, 50 weeks a year.

5. Not as good as actual infantry Marines.

6. Selfish.

7. About as fun as beating off with sandpaper.

OIF2005Marine
12-28-10, 09:02 AM
To answer your question about states reserve units.. You will be assigned to the closest unit that has a 0351 slot, it may not be in your state. My reserve units had guys coming from 4-5 different states for drill.