PDA

View Full Version : Duty Stations

aride1010
12-24-10, 09:14 PM
Whats up devils, I got a quick question about duty stations. I'm going to 29 palms for comm. school after the holidays and i know Ill be making a "wish list" as to where i want to end up. Im going to choose west cost but was just wondering what my percentages are of getting stuck back out in 29 palms as opposed to getting stationed in pendleton?? And how does the actual wish list work? Thanks for the help.:usmc:

BGW
12-24-10, 10:27 PM
I dont know if anyone would be able to tell you a percentage on where people go. As for the wish list, its what the Marine Corps needs. If it so happens you want to go to a place where they need COMM guys such as yourself. Then most likely you will get that spot. Of course there can be quite a few other factors to influence where you would go. Those who do really good in MOS school usually get the choices of first picks as to where they would want to go.

ARTYPIG
12-24-10, 10:48 PM
I graduated at the top of my artillery school and was given my choice of where I wanted to go. I chose Pendleton, and got Lejeune. Only saw Pendleton three times in eight years. You never know, but it is the NEEDS of the Corps first, not ours.

josephd
12-24-10, 11:20 PM
I am sure different school houses do it different but I know of a few that do it like this...

One of your instructors will have a list of all open slots at different duty stations, he will write them up on a board, and then start with the highest ranking/score student in your class and go down, so if you score the highest overall you'll get first pick and go wherever you want really so long as its an option. If your last in the class and say Camp Lejeune is that last place available...guess where your going!?!

Chadly
12-27-10, 09:28 AM
What is your MOS gonna be? If its 28XX, I have been an instructor here for 2.5 years and can tell you exactly how its gonna work. You will go through BEC first, and then go up the hill to your follow on school where during indoc you will get to submit your duty station preference. If you pick overseas you will most likely get overseas. anywhere else its up in the air. It doesnt matter where you finish in the class since your orders will be issued 2/3 of the way through, well before you get your final scores. Basically you should wish in one hand and crap in the other. If you have any more questions feel free to fire away.