PDA

View Full Version : AF to Marines

USAF
12-24-10, 05:41 PM
I'm currently 2A753 - Aircraft Structural Maintenance in the Air Force. I have about a year left and I'm planning on going into the Marines when I get out. I understand I have to go through basic again. I haven't contacted any recruiters yet (mainly because I just haven't had any time) but I have a few questions. First, does anyone know what the equivalent MOS is to my AFSC? I was thinking it was 6012 - Aviation Maintenance Controller but thats for SGT to GySGT. Also anyone know how much rank I'll loose? I'm currently an E4. I plan on calling a recruiter sometime in January. Any help I could get before then would be great!

DJ860420
12-24-10, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure about the job, but we had a guy in my platoon in boot camp that was a E-5 close to E-6 in the Army and was given PFC or E-2. I think he picked up Lance Corporal as soon as he graduated though. It was some funny ****, he had more awards then some of the drill instructors on the island.

Zulu 36
12-24-10, 08:05 PM
I'm currently 2A753 - Aircraft Structural Maintenance in the Air Force. I have about a year left and I'm planning on going into the Marines when I get out. I understand I have to go through basic again. I haven't contacted any recruiters yet (mainly because I just haven't had any time) but I have a few questions. First, does anyone know what the equivalent MOS is to my AFSC? I was thinking it was 6012 - Aviation Maintenance Controller but thats for SGT to GySGT. Also anyone know how much rank I'll loose? I'm currently an E4. I plan on calling a recruiter sometime in January. Any help I could get before then would be great!

There should be essentially a direct MOS equivalent to your AFSC. Check under airframes maintenance. We called them "tin benders" back in the olden days. Check MOS 6251/52/53, etc. These are fixed-wing tin benders. There are also helicopter tin bender MOSs.

The 6012 MOS is basically a supervisory MOS you have to work up to, and of course, make Sergeant at least.

If you can enlist in the Corps, you would enter as a contract PFC. If you get the same MOS as you had in the Air Force, you may still have to go to "A" School for it since you'll be working on Naval aircraft of different types. However, I'm sure you'll have a nice jump start on your classmates in Tin Bending 101.

josephd
12-24-10, 10:56 PM
I can't answer the MOS question because I don't know.

Yes you will lose rank, with prior service you'll be a contract E-2/PFC. If your $hit hot you could graduate as a company honor man which will promote you to an E-3/Lance Corporal. Otherwise you'll pick up LCpl soon after boot camp and if you have decent scores on everything you could probably be back up to E-4/Corporal within a year in the fleet.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-25-10, 01:39 AM
Sounds almost like either Metal shop or something along those lines. The good news is you may not have to do MOS school if you have all your schoools and you pick the same airframe.

Plan on E-2, PFC.

MarinesFTW
12-25-10, 10:02 AM
Exactly what Zulu said. But in all honesty, we know power plant is better.

SGT7477
12-25-10, 10:04 AM
In our beloved Corps it's boot camp leave the basic to the other branches, be ready to take some chit and lose your rank, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Marine3451
12-27-10, 01:44 PM
All I can say is good luck because the Marine Corps is being stingy with prior service recruiting. My brother is a Marine Sgt thats been out a year and they will not let him or a couple other friends I have back on active duty.

SGT7477
12-27-10, 02:21 PM
All I can say is good luck because the Marine Corps is being stingy with prior service recruiting. My brother is a Marine Sgt thats been out a year and they will not let him or a couple other friends I have back on active duty.
What is making it so hard to get back in, your brother hasn't been out that long? Semper Fidelis:flag:

Marine3451
12-27-10, 07:43 PM
The prior service recruiter told him that his only choice is reserves and that they are not currently taking prior service for active duty

USAF
12-31-10, 11:48 AM
The prior service recruiter told him that his only choice is reserves and that they are not currently taking prior service for active duty

I just got a call from a recruiter yesterday and that's the same thing he told me. He just told me to wait. I'm just looking forward to October when I can get out. Thanks for the information guys!

TunTvrnWarrior
12-31-10, 02:57 PM
I just got a call from a recruiter yesterday and that's the same thing he told me. He just told me to wait. I'm just looking forward to October when I can get out. Thanks for the information guys!

Start working on your PFT now. You want to be able to give the recruiter a 1st class PFT. Get in touch with him and ask him about this. Work out on your upper body big time.

USAF
01-01-11, 08:49 PM
Start working on your PFT now. You want to be able to give the recruiter a 1st class PFT. Get in touch with him and ask him about this. Work out on your upper body big time.

Yeah. I have to work that a bit. I can do 18 pull ups and crunches are no problem for me. I did a 3 mile run yesterday and it took me 20:14. Do they do a swim test in the PFT? That might be the only problem for me. I haven't swam since high school.

TunTvrnWarrior
01-01-11, 08:56 PM
You will swim qual in boot camp. They will teach you. But it wouldnt hurt but is not necessary if you take a lifeguard course. You are in the zone for a 1st class PFT. Get that 3 mile down to 18 mins though. Wind sprints might help. Swim qual is not in the PFT. PFT consists of pullups, crunches and the 3 mile run only.