PDA

View Full Version : 0331 question

Hayes129
12-24-10, 11:12 AM
I'm going infantry and I wanted to know about 0331 because I don't know if I want to be 0311 or 0331. My question is if i'm a machine gunner is getting the m240 or 50 worth after carrying ammo and spare barrels? I dont really know how to word this question so I apologize for any rambling.

slug
12-24-10, 11:41 AM
Just because you're a 0331 doesn't mean you'll be behind the gun.

If you're in a line company, all you'll see is the 240 unless you get on trucks. You could be the gunner, sure, but you'll have two others in your gun team that will not be behind the gun, not including your gun team leader who will also not be behind the gun.

If you're in weapons company, you'll either be in a MAP or CAAT platoon, in which you'll have 240s, 50s, marks, and as much serialized gear as an entire line company. But we have drivers, dismounts, and vehicle commanders who are all not behind the gun. In my section we have 4 vics, 19 personnel, steinke's on the 50, i've got the mark, glov and jenson have the saber's.

As a 31 you'll learn to hike the most weight, or you'll break and we'll get rid of you. Don't worry about it, there will be plenty of conditioning section/platoon/company crew served hikes to keep you more than capable.

Hope that helps.

josephd
12-24-10, 12:35 PM
you may not be either, maybe you'll end up as an 0341 mortarman, or an 0351 assaultman....you really don't get to pick

The Sheepdog
12-24-10, 01:05 PM
you may not be either, maybe you'll end up as an 0341 mortarman, or an 0351 assaultman....you really don't get to pick

That's the truth. I didn't find out until they assigned my MOS to me at boot camp. I went in a 03, but they assign you to an MOS where they need you.

At first, I was a little disappointed when I found out I was a 31. Part of that was because the gun and equipment weighed more than I did and I wanted to be a Rifleman. However, once I got started at ITS (back then) I really enjoyed it. In the end, if you get the 0331 MOS, I believe you will enjoy it. It's one of the few MOS's that you get to play with all the "cool" weapons.

GunRun
12-26-10, 07:45 PM
Let me try. <br />
<br />
As an 0331 in a line company, you'll be working with the M240B in a 3 man team. First off will be your team leader, usually the senior man in the team and with atleast 1 deployment,...

martinj
12-26-10, 09:53 PM
Have you thought about maybe being a 41? I've pretty much shot everything you can shoot and mortars are definitly one of the cooler weapons system. And the best part are probably.

03Mike
12-27-10, 09:08 AM
And I hope you like the Gun Drills.

Amen to that!

If you end up an 0331 you'll learn every duty within a machinegun team. As stated, as the FNG expect to be the one that carries the heaviest stuff, makes the run to get more ammo, and help keep the gun safe while it's being employed. The most important thing to learn as an 0331 is proper employment of the gun - and they'll teach you that.

Warbyrd13
12-27-10, 06:12 PM
Keep it simple.

Do what you Plt Sgt tells you to do. Learn from your team on all aspects of the weapon system your responsible for and be able to handle every job in the team. Ensure that you can back your team up in any situation and can help out any other gun team or weapon team as needed.

I had some good friends in weapons plt and in weapons company while I was in 1/8 as a 0311. An I trained alot with 240g teams while I carried a SAW or was part of anti armor teams. I just love gun drills today.

An also learn to love gun drills,patrol drills, amush drills an the Sgt is board so we need to go on run with our weapons. Personaly I enjoy weapons runs.