PDA

View Full Version : Reserve vs. Active duty questions

bjones870
12-23-10, 08:09 PM
I've recently joined this forum, and have a few questions. I'm thinking about joining the Marine reserves but needed a little more info. So here's my questions: Do Marine reserve have the same MOS list as the active duty, do you live on base if you're in the reserve, and do reserve ship as much/often as active duty? What's the biggest difference in the reserve and active duty?

josephd
12-23-10, 08:46 PM
I've recently joined this forum, and have a few questions. I'm thinking about joining the Marine reserves but needed a little more info. So here's my questions: Do Marine reserve have the same MOS list as the active duty, do you live on base if you're in the reserve, and do reserve ship as much/often as active duty? What's the biggest difference in the reserve and active duty?

Do Marine reserve have the same MOS list as the active duty?

Yes and no, most MOS's in the fleet (active duty) are available in the reserves but not at every reserve unit/station. Each reserve unit has its own specific MOS and a few other support ones.

do you live on base if you're in the reserve?....

No, quite a few reserve units aren't even located on any sort of base.

and do reserve ship as much/often as active duty?

Yes and no, a reserve unit as a whole will deploy nowhere near as much as an active duty unit. But the Marine/reserve member itself can actually deploy more by volunteering and doing individual augments.

What's the biggest difference in the reserve and active duty?

The answer for this is within the question itself really. Active duty are just that....active. Active duty Marines live on base, do their job/MOS 24/7, deploy with their unit when rotation comes up, get paid regularly, benefits, etc.

Reserve Marines drill once a month for a few days or for a long weekend. Then once a year you will go on a 2 week annual training period, these can vary quite a bit depending on your MOS and rank. Outside of their duties as a Marine you'll hold a civilian job, live on your own, do your own thing, and take care of yourself.

Here is my suggestion if you are questioning which one to enter. Do NOT join the reserves unless you hold a decent civilian job, going to school full time and serious about finishing, or you have a family to take care of.

josephd
12-23-10, 08:47 PM
oh...and fill out a profile before anyone else gets on your a$$ about it

bjones870
12-23-10, 10:33 PM
Ok, thanks! I tried to edit my profile as much as I could now haha. I do have a great job, and have a family to take care of. But I want to do my part in serving. So from what you described, the reserves are the way to go. I appreciate it, you were very helpful.