PDA

View Full Version : I simply cant join for 2 months?

MrAskew
12-23-10, 05:30 AM
Ive recently made up my mind to join the Marine Corps even though people have been pushing me to go Army. But the Marine recruiter is not making this easy. Hes hard to contact and very frequently just doesn't show up to the office. I ran into the Army recruiter earlier today she she informed me that he had told her that I can't sign for the Marines until 2 months and even then I'd be waiting 6 months to ship to bootcamp. I find this hard to believe considering the fact that he calls my friend who is still in high school but in danger of not graduating this year daily to see how hes coming along. I recently graduated (2010). Records clean. I had a nice score on the practice ASVAB deal he ahd me take. Why would I have to wait like this? I was told I am not a priority because Ive already graduated... He sayd they're looking for Seniors, not graduates. Is this true?

usmcdjb
12-23-10, 08:12 AM
First, if you want to be a Marine, don't get down. And don't give up. There's a certain amount of politics and you might as well get used to it now. It's worth it in the end to be a Marine.

I'm only speculating here, but it could be that the recruiting business is pretty good right now - what with the economy the way it is. Your recruiter may have enough people lined up that he's busy with them, or he's planning to meet his own requirements.

Whatever the case, here's my suggestion. First, keep bugging him about it. Let him know you're ready, and serious, and you want to be a Marine and will accept no substitute. Could be the Army recruiter and he/she are talking, and know you don't appear committed.

Second, get in shape! Not saying you're not. But do what you can to get ready. Get up every day at 0600. Be in bed by 2200. Get used to the routine. Hang around the recruiter as much as you can. Offer to help him out. Get used to the terminology. Learn as much as you can.

Third, take some college classes. Even if it's general ed stuff. That way, once you're in the Corps, you can take my next piece of advice (and have a head start), which is - get your education! It's a huge benefit that most don't take advantage of. Don't let it slip away.

Don't know if that helps or not, but thought I'd throw out my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Marine3451
12-23-10, 08:56 AM
I ran into the Army recruiter earlier today she she informed me that he had told her that I can't sign for the Marines until 2 months and even then I'd be waiting 6 months to ship to bootcamp.

First Mistake is listening to what an army recruiter says about Marine Corps recruiter. The army is flat out trying to steal the contact. Make an appointment with the recruiter. Marine recruiters are frequently not in the office as they are out making contacts. See if you can get his cell number and contact him that way. With that being said it is true that the Marine Corps is being selective about recruiting right now it just depends on highly qualified you are. You will need to sit down with the recruiter and you will be hard pressed to find one until after the holidays

SGT7477
12-23-10, 09:11 AM
Marine Corps never did promise a Rose Garden the recruiter is doing his job, the army well that's another story,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Old Marine
12-23-10, 01:13 PM
Tell the recruiter you are going to the Air Force.

MrAskew
12-24-10, 01:33 AM
First, if you want to be a Marine, don't get down. And don't give up. There's a certain amount of politics and you might as well get used to it now. It's worth it in the end to be a Marine.

I'm only speculating here, but it could be that the recruiting business is pretty good right now - what with the economy the way it is. Your recruiter may have enough people lined up that he's busy with them, or he's planning to meet his own requirements.

Whatever the case, here's my suggestion. First, keep bugging him about it. Let him know you're ready, and serious, and you want to be a Marine and will accept no substitute. Could be the Army recruiter and he/she are talking, and know you don't appear committed.

Second, get in shape! Not saying you're not. But do what you can to get ready. Get up every day at 0600. Be in bed by 2200. Get used to the routine. Hang around the recruiter as much as you can. Offer to help him out. Get used to the terminology. Learn as much as you can.

Third, take some college classes. Even if it's general ed stuff. That way, once you're in the Corps, you can take my next piece of advice (and have a head start), which is - get your education! It's a huge benefit that most don't take advantage of. Don't let it slip away.

Don't know if that helps or not, but thought I'd throw out my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Alright I'll take your advice thanks

sparkie
12-24-10, 04:17 AM
It is true. They now want HS seniors, not 20 yr olds. Even the cutoff for consideration is now 24. Things are gettin tough,,, I'm thinkin another downsizing coming up. Seen it before.

MrAskew
12-24-10, 05:40 AM
I just turned 18 in September. I have plenty Seniors older than me.

sparkie
12-24-10, 05:46 AM
I just turned 18 in September. I have plenty Seniors older than me.

I understand, but they can do their wait time in school, less DEP dropouts that way. There's a reason for everything. More likely you could choose another direction,,,, you are more of a risk and they can be fussy right now.

MrAskew
12-24-10, 05:55 AM
I see.. Well I'ma keep at it

sparkie
12-24-10, 06:38 AM
Good,,,you gotta work for what you want.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-25-10, 01:29 AM
Yup. Recruits for all branches are a dime a dozen nowadays. Expect a long wait to report to Recruit Training even after your are sworn in. 6-9 months is 'norm'.

sparkie
12-25-10, 06:29 AM
I copied this from a PM I got this morning. I'm sure he won't mind. It's good info,,,Thanks, Andrew.

I am currently in the DEP. I leave in a few weeks for that oh so motivated Island though, however, until then I wanted to comment on this thread. I thought you might like to hear this. I am 26 and have my B.A. in history. Took me 4 trips to MEPs just to ENLIST! You are so right they are downsizing. My recruiters said the Marine Corps is being shrunk from 205k to 165k.

If it was not for having a 4 year college degree I don't think I would have even been able to enlist at my age and my then level of fitness which was pathetic at the time. I couldn't pass an IST.

However, at my RSS it was weird. My recruiter and the Master Sergeant helped me, but one Sgt. who had been their longer than the Master Sgt. pushed and hated me for the longest time because I wanted infantry and he is infantry and didn't want my then fat butt to serve among him.

This is just some of my personal experience in the DEP so take it at will, but since I cannot post in the ask a Marine section I thought you may be interested in this information since you post in the section and sound like you have not recently experienced what as expressed by the Master Sgt of my regions command as probably the most competitive era the Marine Corps has ever seen to join!

MrAskew
12-25-10, 07:07 PM
Ohh wow. Well Ill see if I can work it out I recently called him and he said after the Holidays we'll do what we can and "Hit it Hard".. Im pretty fit so I should be ok there though. Ill just hope for the best