PDA

View Full Version : exercise help please!

holey336
12-22-10, 10:27 PM
So for the last few weeks (since i've finaly DEPed in) ive been doing "7 weeks to 100 push-ups", "7 weeks to 50 pull ups", and just various abdominal work, i was also running 3 days a week but since its gotten frigid over here i've joined a gym so i can now run indoors. my question is, would it be better to stick to my current regiment or would it be better to add it weight work since i now have this huge gym at my disposal? i dont want to over work the muscles that is using for my current regiment. any body have some good free weight or machine exercises that will help me prepare for boot camp and increases my strength. thanks for any help guys

lake9
12-22-10, 11:52 PM
tbh u dont need a gym. if your leaving during the winter i would tough it up and run in the cold. just look up some crossfit routines and your set. no gym needed.

holey336
12-23-10, 12:59 AM
id be leaving late spring early summer, but because im really new at running, even when i try to man up, wear warm clothing, and run i wasnt doing so good, since my runs were suffering i figured id make more progress running indoors. ive looked at some of the cross fit things but dont you need tires and heavy duty rope and things like that? plus i already sign my gym contract and got a few months to go.

TFKnight
12-23-10, 05:54 AM
Running outside in the cold is much harder on your lungs than then heat so when you get to training in the summer it will probably be easier. Practice calisthenics, push ups, and pulls ups. Run every other day until you can get comfortable with that. When it becomes easy, add more to your routine.

IHaveEGA843
12-23-10, 04:11 PM
Running inside on treadmills shortens your stride and cuts in your actual time. Its good for running at at pace for a certain time but thats all I find it good for.

The weights can work if you do low weight high reps. Stregthen that back and chest so those pull ups will be easier and stregthen those abs on the ab weight machine to kill that midsection to build up for those crunches.

The gym just has alot of machines to use that alot lof people dont have access to. Other then that you can just do crunches, run, push ups, pull ups, leg kicks, and any other you typically do at Poolee functions to keep your body ready and conditioned. Man up and run plus youll warm up once your heart rate climbs and your body is moving.

holey336
12-23-10, 04:29 PM
yea i only use the treadmills for long runs but i use their indoor track other wise. im already doing an intensive pull up program, but it doesnt hit my biceps too much so im thinking maybe i can do some work for that, also im starting to do some moves to strengthen my lower back (which i hear helps with core and ab work) and some leg moves to supplement the running. thanks for all your help so far guys, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. oh, and ive been trying to man up and run in the cold but my legs kill after about 15 minutes, and even though i warm up pretty quickly the cold air still hurts to breathe, even with a balakava. hopefully the marines will make me into less of a wuss.

PARKER93
12-23-10, 04:52 PM
Make sure you try to breathe in your nose as best you can, it gets hard if its all runny like mine gets but itll help out your lungs a great deal when its cold. And also if your at the gym you should hop on the bicycle things and do a pyramid from level 12 to 1 and back to 12 with 2 minutes on each level, this has helped me out a lot. And if you do decide to lift make sure you do the opposite muscle as well, like if you work biceps then also work triceps and if you work your back then work your abs.

kjohnson8824
12-24-10, 11:10 AM
Ok well Ive been doing this routine for a few months now and Ive pretty much doubled in everything. started off only with 44 crunches and 6 pull ups now im around 14-15 and i can do over 100 crunches. This is my routine. It uses calisthetics, strength training, endurance and cardio, Ive seen a lot of improvement with my self. When using weight use the step down technique increasing wieght by ten or 5 pounds for every set (ex Benchpress 1st set 15 reps at 180lbs then 190lbs 10 reps..etc) Also run at least 4-5 days a week with one distance being over 4 miles. Follow this routine exactly using minimal breaks of no more than 60 seconds,

MONDAY upper body
Bench Press 4 sets 15 10 8 reps then burnout set on your first weight, 15 reps
PULL ups 4 sets to failure (try to go slower than you would on a pft, hits your biceps more and gets your body used to holding its own wieght)
Parallel bar DIPS 4 sets to failure
Bicep curls 4 sets, 15 10 8 then burnout set 15 reps on first wieght
TRICEP extensions 4 sets 15 10 8 15(burnout set)
Dumbell row 4 sets 15 10 8 15
Pectoral Flys 4 sets 15 10 8 15
3 mile run

Tuesday (lower body + core)
crunches max in 2 minutes
squats 4 sets of 25 reps USING YOUR OWN BODY
Inclined bench situps 4 sets 20-25 reps each
Leg extensions 4 sets 15 10 8 15
PLANKS 2 sets at 60 secs each for both your sides and front
SUPERMAN-important to balance your core strength hold for 1:30 min
Leg curls- 15 10 8 15
STRETCH!! then go for a 3 mile run

Wednesday(Upper Body)
Military Press 4 sets 15 10 8 15
PULL UPS 4 sets to failure
tricep over headcurls 4 sets 15 10 8 15
ROW MACHINE 4 sets 15 10 8 15
PUSHUPS 4 sets to failure
PREACHER CURLS 4 sets 15 10 8 15
Run 3 miles

Thursday (lowerbody + core)
max crunches in 2 min
squats 4 sets of 25 reps USE YOUR OWN BODY
Flutter kick, scissors, flutterkick, v ups- 20 resp 3 COUNT do not let your feet touch the ground the entire time and keep your head off the ground to isolate your core
Lunges 4 sets 20 reps each leg holding 10 lbs in each hand
Lower Back lifts 4 sets of 20 reps
situps + oblique situps 20 reps each side 4 sets
Leg curls 4 sets 15 10 8 15
run 3 miles

Friday Upper Body
Bench Press 4 sets 15 10 8 15
PULL UPS 4 sets to failure
DIPS 4 sets to failure
Bicep Curls 4 sets 15 10 8 15
Inclined bench 4 sets 15 10 8 15
Dumbell Row 4 sets 15 10 8 15
run 3 miles

Saturday
4-5 mile sackrun with 50 lbs minimal
or 8-9 mile run

Hope this helps, it has definatly helped me Ive lost a lot of weight and have gotten a lot stronger. Gatorade and protein shakes, bars are a good idea to fuel up your body and give you energy

kjohnson8824
12-24-10, 11:14 AM
forgot to had stretching is a must!

kjohnson8824
12-24-10, 11:36 AM
Now if you really want to test your endurance here is a work out i stole straight from stew smith on *************

so you need to rest on friday to do this, only doing a light 3 mile run

pullups- max until failure
dips-max till failure
situp-max in 2:00
bench 50% of your max bench and do that until failure
pushups max in 1 minute
pulldowns 50% of body wieght max reps
situps- max in 2:00
miltary press (dumbbells) 10-20lbs-max reps
bicep curls-10 30lbs max reps
situps- max in 2:00
then cardio for 30 minutes
repeat if you can

do not rest for more than 60 seconds try to only rest for 20-30 seconds

holey336
12-24-10, 04:47 PM
wow, thanks kjohnson, thats what i was looking for, something all incompassing. thats sounds really tough but i deff. want to give it a try, although my shins hurt really bad when i run and i found a few running articles on military . com that i might use instead of the 3 miles, at least for a few weeks untill i get stronger with my running.

kjohnson8824
12-24-10, 08:06 PM
No problem, glad to help. Your shins might be hurting because of improper running technique, i used to run for 5 miles and then my knees would start killing me, turned out i was running wrong. Try running with hitting the ball of your heel (NOT THE BACK!) and rolling it on to your toes, pushing off with your toes. and lean forward and relax your shoulders not clenching your fists. After doing this my pft run time increased by forty seconds since running felt so much more natural

holey336
12-24-10, 09:19 PM
yea i had to change my running form too, im running with better form now but have low arches causing my feet to pronate a bit, but i got good supportive running shoes for that, and i think the muscle in the front of the shin is weak cauing my calf to pull on it, at least that what i read on some running website, lol, hopefully ill be able to up the mileage over the next few weeks

kjohnson8824
12-24-10, 09:34 PM
I have low arches too, but you can still get your running good. Just keep pushing yourself.

alphamarine23
12-25-10, 12:03 AM
I find the best advice is workout with people who want to work out(like other poolees) and motivate/compete with each other to get better and you'll find the results soon enough. Does your station pt together at all?

holey336
01-01-11, 08:35 PM
not really i've only pt'd with them once just before i signed, and haven't heard of anything since except 1 that was canceled, i wish i had work out buddies from my pool but its me alone for now