PDA

View Full Version : How far can reservists live from their reserve unit

siwendickstein
12-22-10, 09:46 PM
I want to join the marine reserves, but I also want to go to college. I'm currently on the 92-day program, and everything is going fine. However, I'm applying for colleges and I don't know how far away I can apply. Do I have to remain within a 50 mile radius if I'm willing to drive farther to complete my 24 days of required active service each year? How do they know how far away I'm living? Am I allowed to live on the college campus, but list my home address if my home address is closer to the reserve unit?

Thanks for any help I can get.

josephd
12-23-10, 01:23 AM
you have a few options really, you can transfer to another unit that is closer or you can stay at whatever unit your at now and get billeting. There is a Marine in my unit that flies from Illinois to here in AZ just for drill every month (why on earth someone would do this is beyond me??)

I would imagine you could live wherever you want really but having an correct address for your home of record would wise especially considering if you aren't considered an "out of towner" you won't rate billeting.

il duce
12-23-10, 09:31 AM
I drive over 240mi round trip to my reserve station... we have one Plt Sgt that drives over 500mi and a Plt Commander that flies from out of state. Once you're part of the family, there's no separating us