PDA

View Full Version : Life in the airwing?

Andrew09
12-22-10, 12:32 AM
I'm contracted to go into a 72xx/73xx job and just wanted to see if any Marines could chime in with how life is in the airwing? I'm interested in taking college classes and finishing my degree while active and would love to hear how others in the airwing liked/like their job and how plausible finishing a bachelors is? Would also love to hear what deployments are like for a Marine in the airwing.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

AAV Crewchief
12-22-10, 12:47 AM
You get to have Navy haircuts.

Andrew09
12-22-10, 12:48 AM
You get to have Navy haircuts.

aye Sir.

AAV Crewchief
12-22-10, 01:43 AM
Anyhow, Mr. Woodstock, Georgia, do you live in Chero****stickee County? LOLOLOL. Most of my family is up in your neck of the woods....just north of you on 400 ( Cumming, Suwanee, Alpharetta) et al. Please quit calling me sir. Good luck in boot camp.

sparkie
12-22-10, 07:03 AM
In the WING,,,,, You get all the good chow, bunks, and ladies,,,,so I hear.

Swing with the Wing? I don't want to know what that may mean.

gonzo4
12-22-10, 07:45 AM
I'm not an Airwinger but I can tell you about trying to finish your degree.

For me I went to college hated it and enlisted. But I still want to get my education so I am enrolled with the college I went to and I take online courses. I'm taking two this semester to start out and see if I can handle the work load. I will be deploying in Feb and I am gonna still take my online classes my SNCOIC said we should have some down time and if we wanted to take one class we would be able to. So that is my experience. I know a lot of the airwingers work crazy hours something I don't normally have to deal with but work comes first. Making sure you are fulfilling your Marine Corps obligation is first and if you can't do both then you gotta cut school out.

Hope this helped. Good luck at the MCRD.

Andrew09
12-22-10, 02:26 PM
Anyhow, Mr. Woodstock, Georgia, do you live in Chero****stickee County? LOLOLOL. Most of my family is up in your neck of the woods....just north of you on 400 ( Cumming, Suwanee, Alpharetta) et al. Please quit calling me sir. Good luck in boot camp.

Sure do, southern part of the county in Towne Lake.

I'm not an Airwinger but I can tell you about trying to finish your degree.

For me I went to college hated it and enlisted. But I still want to get my education so I am enrolled with the college I went to and I take online courses. I'm taking two this semester to start out and see if I can handle the work load. I will be deploying in Feb and I am gonna still take my online classes my SNCOIC said we should have some down time and if we wanted to take one class we would be able to. So that is my experience. I know a lot of the airwingers work crazy hours something I don't normally have to deal with but work comes first. Making sure you are fulfilling your Marine Corps obligation is first and if you can't do both then you gotta cut school out.

Hope this helped. Good luck at the MCRD.

Alright good deal, it does help. Appreciate the input!

Marine84
12-23-10, 08:00 PM
We call it Woodstick on this side of town (Doraville) - LOL!

I was a Winger (Ordnance), loved it! For the biggest part, it was like having a 9 to 5 (we worked from 7 to 4 with an hour for lunch). There were times when we had to work 24 on 24 off but they were few and far between. Different Commands do different things so kind of hard to tell you specifically what you'll go through.

Even if I were a man, I would still want Airwing. I don't know why a lot of these kids want a nasty, dirty, grungy grunt job for anyway.

Matlock09
12-24-10, 10:55 AM
I'm contracted to go into a 72xx/73xx job and just wanted to see if any Marines could chime in with how life is in the airwing? I'm interested in taking college classes and finishing my degree while active and would love to hear how others in the airwing liked/like their job and how plausible finishing a bachelors is? Would also love to hear what deployments are like for a Marine in the airwing.

That's funny because i'm a 7242. Start praying now that you get ATC. But like said it all depends on the job and unit. Generally it is a lot more relaxed.

I can probably guarantee you that in your 4-5 year contract you wont finish your degree but you can get a good amount done. For starters Tuition assistance only gives you $4500 a fiscal year. Plus you probably wont have time to take more than 2-3 classes at a time anyways.

Marine1955
12-28-10, 03:04 PM

All I can say is I was in the wing for almost 8 years and I loved it everyday. we had flight line boots and didn't have to have to have our boots bloused. Swing with the wing means nothing like there trying to make it out as..I was in motor-T and it was great.

jungholee90
12-29-10, 02:43 PM
Where I am at we work anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day and crew changes frequently. You do have time to take one or two classes a semester, but make sure work is your number one priority.