PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB scores

GBrennan
12-19-10, 11:56 AM
Hello, I went to MEPs and have completed everything. I am curious tho because i scored a 34 on it, I understand that most jobs in the Marine Corps do not look at your ASVAB score rather than the other scores like GT and MM. I would like to know if im selling myself short of being locked into a job that I want to get into with the score I have.

Taviah
12-19-10, 03:32 PM
Study and take it again if you can't get a job you want, look at your line scores and study what you lack on. I never studied for it I was just satisfied enough with my score. And I am going Infantry so my scores don't much matter.

Kiri
12-20-10, 12:13 PM
Study and take it again if you can't get a job you want, look at your line scores and study what you lack on. I never studied for it I was just satisfied enough with my score. And I am going Infantry so my scores don't much matter.

You can't take it again for two years I was told. You might be able to if you've got a spectacular recruiter who'll push for you, but it's probably not going to happen. Be glad you got over the 32 minimal score the Marines require, because if you didn't you'd be really screwed.

Languagelover23
12-20-10, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure you can retake the ASVAB after 30 days. Make sure, because if you feel as if you can improve, take it again.

PooleePullerYut
01-02-11, 01:20 PM
*headdesk*

Try enlisting into your local Burger King unit, they need warm bodies too.

Steve018
01-03-11, 05:37 PM
I retook mine after a month, 30 day waiting period in between retaking tests. And with that score, no offense, i would definitely retake it. I didnt do so hot on mine either but I studied and got a hell of a better score than before.

bionicpope
01-04-11, 02:54 AM
Also, don't look at being able to study as making it all better. This is a test on your knowledge, not on what you can cram in there just to make a grade. Whatever MOS you get, be ready to work harder than the other people around you who scored higher.

It isn't like High School, where you can just coast and make it. If you are going to want to do this for longer than just four years, then make sure you actually understand the concepts that are needed for your MOS.

DrinkTwiceT1000
01-07-11, 10:48 AM
Also, don't look at being able to study as making it all better. This is a test on your knowledge, not on what you can cram in there just to make a grade. Whatever MOS you get, be ready to work harder than the other people around you who scored higher.

Bionicpope is somewhat correct. While some of the stuff you can't improve, others you can.

Try working on any of the "Knowledge" sections. These sections test how much you know, whereas "Comprehension" sections test how you can put it all together. Don't listen to what anyone says is "simple" or "hard". Everyone's is different, don't let them discourage you.

Go on military dot com (sorry, it censors it if I put in a URL) and look up ASVAB. They have a couple practice ASVAB as well as some tips.

Domc
01-07-11, 03:26 PM
Bionicpope is somewhat correct. While some of the stuff you can't improve, others you can.

Try working on any of the "Knowledge" sections. These sections test how much you know, whereas "Comprehension" sections test how you can put it all together. Don't listen to what anyone says is "simple" or "hard". Everyone's is different, don't let them discourage you.

Go on military dot com (sorry, it censors it if I put in a URL) and look up ASVAB. They have a couple practice ASVAB as well as some tips.

I have to agree, retake the test and I do recommend studying with the practice tests. I took all the practice tests on that website, and it does help, many of the question that I had were on the practice tests which is a bonus, but mostly they helped me because I hadn't taken a test in almost two years so the practice tests helped me get back into the groove.

USMC Infantry
01-10-11, 12:52 PM
*headdesk*

Try enlisting into your local Burger King unit, they need warm bodies too.

haha

Agent Johnson
01-10-11, 01:48 PM
You have a terrible score, if you retake it you can score less. You mess up on two more questions and you have just ended your Marine career. I'm surprised your recruiter is even still talking to you, I have been hearing most people who score below 50 are only being offered reserve jobs or told to go to the Army.

lake9
01-10-11, 02:56 PM
i got a 55 on mine. My line scores were low. I never studied for the asvab. I took it almost 8 months ago i was out of school for almost a year. it's amazing how fast you forget stuff when you sit at home and do nothing but eat/sleep/party and work out. anyways, if your line scores are okay just sign up for infantry. Good Luck.

ricky54326
01-10-11, 03:56 PM
I got an 86, does that qualify me for most jobs?

Agent Johnson
01-10-11, 05:26 PM
I got an 86, does that qualify me for most jobs?

On the real asvab? Your recruiter should have told you right after you took it, but yes it does.

Taviah
01-10-11, 05:36 PM
I didn't see any of my line scores after I took it, still don't know what they are, but I don't really care.