PDA

View Full Version : Before MCMAP

Alex1371
12-19-10, 10:27 AM
Before we get taught how to fight by the Marines. I want to get into a Martial Art(also for self defense). What would be recomended? I'm thinking either Krav Maga or Muay Thai.

josephd
12-19-10, 11:44 AM
Any of outside world civilian martial arts really has no relevance to MCMAP. Although some of the holds, strikes, moves are similar it'd be a waste of time and money IMO. You are going to have to learn MCMAP at boot camp anyway, not like its going to allow you to skip it or be any better at it.

MarinesFTW
12-19-10, 02:18 PM
Tan Belt.. Just enough to get your as$ kicked

SGT7477
12-19-10, 05:25 PM
One Mind, Any Weapon, Semper Fidelis.

USMC Sokol
12-20-10, 12:07 PM
You'll never win a fight by taking a combat stance
You will learn to hate MCMAP. I hear it gets better as you progress though

MarinesFTW
12-20-10, 12:45 PM
Sokol it defentialy does, I'm half way through gray belt and its a hell of alot more fun.

Marine3451
12-20-10, 12:51 PM
You'll never win a fight by taking a combat stance
You will learn to hate MCMAP. I hear it gets better as you progress though

What would someone two months out of boot camp know about MCMAP. MCMAP training is good stuff if you get an good instructor. I've gone all the way to brown and I'm just waiting to hear about a black belt class. If anything its amazing PT and some of the moves are good too. It not going to make you a Ninja Squirrel but it will give you some tools to use.

Alex1371
12-20-10, 05:46 PM
So how does one Marine go through the ranks of MCMAP? Like, when does he/she have time to do so?

HOWARDROARK3043
12-20-10, 06:37 PM
-------GO TO TECOM'S WEBSITE------------------------------------ these days boots , think they know everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

josephd
12-20-10, 06:39 PM
So how does one Marine go through the ranks of MCMAP? Like, when does he/she have time to do so?

basic tan belt training is done at boot camp, grey and green belts are pretty standard now once you hit the fleet. From there it is mostly up to the individual Marine to want to continue. It is usually done during normal PT time in the morning or whenever the Marine and instructor have the time.