PDA

View Full Version : Platoon Leadership Class

DC23
12-19-10, 03:22 AM
I have searched this forum and have not found any information, but I will have to ask you to excuse me if I have missed a similar post.

I was hoping to get some insight on the "Platoon Leadership Class" from anyone who has either been through it or knows about it. I went to MEPS this week and, with a clean bill of health and high ASVAB scores, I have been qualified to enlist. I will be swearing in (DEP) the week after next.
That being said, a friend of mine who completed OCS this summer asked me if I had ever considered the Platoon Leadership Class since I am currently in college. I had never heard of this before and I have been trying to research it online but I have not found a lot of information. I knew that I did not qualify for OCC because I have not completed my degree, so when I contacted a recruiter I proceeded in getting squared away to enlist active. I am not trying to be "lazy" or any other such conclusion that could be drawn from hearing of my interest in a program that allows you to stay in school - it is "all systems go" to swear in the first week of January - but I am interested to learn more nonetheless.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

josephd
12-19-10, 11:41 AM
PLC is something that is offered for college students to attend OCS either in a 10 week combined course in between your junior and senior year or in a split 6 weeks, one in between sophomore/junior year and another between junior/senior year. Upon graduation of OCS and then receiving your degree you will commission as a 2nd Lt. in the Marine Corps.

Although PLC is not quite as competitive as OCC it is still no walk in the park. You need to be running a high first class PFT, decent GPA, no medical issues, no moral waivers, etc just to be considered for a package.

One question I will ask and you need to ask yourself is....do you really want to be an officer?..do you want the responsibility of taking care of a platoon of Marines and everything that goes along with it?...Not wanting to do this isn't a bad thing, you need to be very honest with yourself. Like myself, I had a PLC package together to go to OCS back in 05/06 but didn't end up going and now I am enlisted. I now know that being an officer really wasn't for me.