View Full Version : Serious questions about RE 04 discharge

12-19-10, 03:03 AM
Good afternoon Marines, <br />
Here is my story in a nutshell. I was attending ITB with Bravo company in November of 2009 with about a week before graduation I was sent to Balboa Medical Facility to be...

12-19-10, 07:17 AM

12-19-10, 08:43 AM
Sorry son you are done.

12-20-10, 05:56 PM
Yes I realize that NO reentry is able with an RE 04 code that it why I realize it has to be upgrade. Just wondering if anyone had any actual experience with this type of thing and could offer some advice.
Thanks again.

12-20-10, 06:06 PM
It can ONLY be upgraded if they gave you the wrong one(i.e gave a Marine a RE 04 code when it should have got a RE 1).

12-21-10, 12:29 AM
The only thing that might give you a shot is to petition HQMC for a RE Code change to 3P (physical disability) and then try the waiver route to re-enlist with a 3P. Slim to no chance still, but better than nothing.

12-21-10, 08:20 AM
Take a look here http://www.donhq.navy.mil/bcnr/bcnr.htm

12-21-10, 11:36 AM
Simply put, I'll do whatever it takes until there is literally no possible way.

Semper Fidelis,
PFC O'Connor :flag:

What everyone is telling you is that you are there - There is no possible way. If it's any consolation even though I received an RE of 1 they won't take me any longer either. They say I'm too old - go figure.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-24-10, 08:52 AM
What you've read for the most part is correct. There ARE Marines on this site who have gotten upgrades, but it was ONLY because the RE code was issued in error. Yours was not.

Getting a congresscritter involved won't help your case.

Basically, there is nothing more you can do Marine Corps wise. You might, however, try the Army or another service branch and see what they say. If you are willing to serve in any capacity, then do so. If the Marine Corps is the only branch you want, then I'm afraid you've done your time and that is that.

12-24-10, 02:50 PM
Yes there are way to get you RE code changed. There are a few ways to go about this. First is to seek an RE code change during a discharge upgrade. To apply, you must submit DD Form 293 to your...

12-24-10, 02:57 PM
See usmchauer's post above. Your only route is to petition the BCNR, and depending on that outcome, petition the Navy Discharge Review Board.

12-24-10, 03:32 PM
I wouldnt expect too much out of this. Seems that anyone with less than a RE-1 or 1A will not be taken back into the Corps after being out for a while. The Corps seems to be very black and white in judging a re-enlistment.....no gray area in evaluating if a condition doesn't exist anymore or whatever.

I have an RE-3P with stacks of documentation stating the condition doesn't exist anymore and I have yet to even been able to get into MEPS after trying for two years.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-24-10, 07:04 PM
"To request a change to your RE code, you must apply to the Board of Corrections for Military Records of your service branch. Technically, you are seeking a correction based on an error or injustice rather than a change"

Those are the key words in that sentence. Based on what you've written...you have NEITHER an 'error', nor an 'injustice'.

The DOCTORS decided you have depression. The Marine Corps went with that diagnosis.