PDA

View Full Version : Want to join the USMC Reserves

jmjusmc1
12-18-10, 06:37 PM
I want to join the reserves but had a couple questions. I'm in the army guard but have already spoke with them, and they have a form the recruiter can sign for me to get out of the guard to go USMC reserves. My biggest question is my age.....I'm 33 but have 7 years prior service active Air Force. Do I have any chance to go in the reserves or should I just continue to be a fan of the USMC? I'm well aware that I would have to go to basic, and I have no problem with that. Thanks for your time, and any feedback I get.

crazymjb
12-22-10, 12:34 AM
We just had a 32 year old PFC check into my unit, and I believe I read the oldest Marine Corps recruit of this generation (past 10 or so years was 35) so I would so keep working with a recruiter, and don't give up hope.

Mike

AAV Crewchief
12-22-10, 12:54 AM
What did you do in the AF? I've went the opposite direction. Was in the Corps as AD, then reserves. Decided that I would try to get in the next 13 years for retirement as a reservist in AF. How hard can one weekend a month and two weeks a year be, right? LOL Too bad I never knew that 9-11 was coming and 7 deployments since 9-11.

AAV Crewchief
12-22-10, 12:59 AM
One thing you might think about even in the Marine reserves is high year tenure for rank? In the AF reserves you could stay for 33 years and be an E-5. In the Marine reserves, or at least when I was in Recon back in the day, we pretty much went by the same rank HYT as active duty. I'm sticking around for as long as I can, maxing out my points, and trying to get at least a $1300-1400 retirement out of all this. If I can get to 4250 points with my current rank, I should be able to make it.

TheReservist
01-03-11, 02:40 PM
In the Marine reserves, or at least when I was in Recon back in the day, we pretty much went by the same rank HYT as active duty.

That's interesting, how was the latmove from AAV to recon?

New York
01-05-11, 04:17 PM
I think the toughest part of your decision would be is to lose your current rank/pay. I say this because i assume you have a family?

But if you dont care about that, and want to be a Marine, go for it. You definitely got respect from peers on your side (Age/Wisdom and prior Military experience), but im not to sure how boot camp will go, as in your favor.

It all depends on how set your heart is. Good luck.