PDA

View Full Version : No phone call?

newskate9
12-16-10, 12:39 PM
A great moment, Monday morning. My son swore in and left for boot camp. Some tears, and lots of pride for sure.

I stayed up long into the following morning waiting for "the" call - I was actually looking forward to it, like a merit badge of sorts. It never came. I'm sure there's a good reason, so I await the written word.

Any one else not get a call?

SGT7477
12-16-10, 03:01 PM
Hurry up and wait, you should hear from him soon, he is in very good hands, Semper Fidelis.

KansazCity
12-16-10, 03:16 PM
I didn't make the call cause the DI's instruct you what to say and how to say it and I didn't wanna talk to my parents like that so I dialed n hung up. Didn't find out till later my parents were waiting on a call lol many possibilities but as mentioned above, he's in good hands.

MARINECID
12-16-10, 03:44 PM
My son shipped Nov 30th and I got the call about 0100 on the 31st. All HELL was breaking loose behind him. I had flashbacks form 24 years ago. Glad it is him and not me again. You should receive a form letter in about a week with his address. I don't think you are gonna get the phone call.

Cudadad
12-19-10, 09:31 AM
not getting a phone call seems to be common. From the reason listed by kansazcity above to the recruit miss dialing, to not knowing mom/dads number from memory because its saved on their cell phone. For the next 13 weeks phone call will be at the discretion of the DI's for performing above and beyond, or if there is a problem/injury. The Marines have been turning ordinary recruits into extraordinary Marines for over 235 years so it will take a lot to earn that call for "over and above" performance. That leaves a call for a problem or injury, so do you really want a call? Live by the saying "no news is good news" it will serve you well now and through out your Marines career

Theoldgunny
12-19-10, 04:36 PM
never received a call from the grandson when he arrived at PI on 24 Sep2008but we all survied

foreverproud
12-20-10, 01:17 PM
I wasn't home for the call, but according to my husband it was all in one breath and then he hung up.

The letters will make up for the "no call" .......

My son got to make only one other call during boot camp and that was a reward after the entire platoon had done exceptionally well.
The very best to you and your son!

elliscraig12
12-20-10, 01:43 PM
When I first went in there was no phone call at first. Just a MARS gram from the neighbor down the street. He was a HAMS operator.

dback13
12-21-10, 04:39 PM
My parents never got a call either. I dialed the wrong number and just went with it. So lady who ever you were, I'm glad I woke you up to a bunch of yelling.

tgwkreu7
12-21-10, 07:36 PM
does any body know leonard ether from minn.

newskate9
12-24-10, 01:00 PM
Hey, thanks for the responses all!

I finally got his mailing address - 10 days after his arrival. It was hilarious - a form letter. "Dear (state your name)........... for liberty and fraternity for all!"

[for all you Animal House fans]

He actually wrote my name, not Dad. And signed it his signature, not what we call him. I laughed!! THEN, I went to USPS, put the 6 letters I've written him into priority mail, and hit the send button.

So we're all good. Again, thanks for the responses.

I have one son in A-stan, and another on the Island. And I couldn't be prouder. Merry Christmas my friends, may Peace find us all.