PDA

View Full Version : Mini Boot Camp Family Night

Kiri
12-16-10, 10:50 AM
Drill instructors kick ass. Potential Marine ass to be specific.

My RSS station left for Chatham Illinois near Springfield yesterday (12/15/2010) for a fun filled night of Instructing madness. A female drill instructor showed up too, so that was sweet, yet terrifying. I think she was a killhat, but I can’t be sure. Just seemed like it to me. Honestly, I’d rather have male instructors for boot, but that’s not going to happen.

It was a good time. I felt like I was in one of those YouTube vids you see of drill instructors screaming your face off. They came out of nowhere and started yelling at us, and the adrenaline rush from the shock was pretty cool. You kinda just fuzz out and become a robot doing what they tell you to. I remember doing everything they told me to, but I don’t remember what I was thinking while I was doing it. Probably because I WASN’T thinking.

There was only one other female there along with about forty male poolees, so the female drill instructor came after us hard. This other guy in my RSS got yelled at even more than me though. Apparently he had an itch on his face and couldn’t stop moving. The best part though, besides running around with a 3 second 10 count, was when he tripped when he was getting up. They had us stand up and sit down Indian style about 150 times spread out over 40 minutes. My ankles still hurt. But the female drill instructor saw this and got right in his face after he got up and started screaming really loud. The other drill instructor came up from the other side and yelled at him for about a minute. It went something like this…

Female DI: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU RECRUIT? ARE YOU DEAF? CAN YOU DO ANYTHING I TELL YOU TO? I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN PARRIS ISLAND IN MY SQUAD BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE! NO! BALLS! Ect…
Male DI: SOUNDOFF! I CAN’T HEAR YOU! LOUDER! DON’T INTERUPT HER YOU USELESS PIECE OF SCUM! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND YELL! YOU GOING TO TAKE THAT FROM A GIRL? YOU HAVE NO BALLS FATFACE? NO? NO WHAT?!? NO SIR! YOU HAVE NO BALLS? OH? YOU AREN’T GOING TO TAKE THAT FROM A GIRL? WHAT ARE YOUR GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? WELL IF YOU AREN’T GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT YOU OBVIOUSLY DON’T HAVE ANY BALLS!

He was only saved because a guy next to him laughed and drew their attention.

Lessons I learned from it? Scream you face off. Double time it. Don’t make unnecessary movement. Don’t look around. DON’T touch your face. About twenty people got screamed at for this, myself included… twice. Don’t take it personally; they’ll attack you harder to desensitize your ass.

Time Bandit
12-16-10, 01:20 PM
Thats awesome it probably got everyone pumped for boot. I agree with the whole fuzzing out thing your talking about when that much adrenaline is moving around.

emptyjarhead
12-16-10, 01:48 PM
I dont know about family night but for me Mini Boot was fun as h*ll once you figure out they aren't really mad at you. It's like what your recruiters say. Boot camp is 1% physical and 99% mental. They just mess with your heads and quarterdeck you when you mess up. It's not really that bad.
For our RSS we had Mini Boot in the blistering heat of summer. It was a two hour drive south and most of us had already hydrated a fair amount. (FYI. Cars and bladders dont mix.) I dont know about yours but our recruiters are the type of guys you just cant help being friends with, funny, confident, and totally bad*ss. We joked and laughed all the way down to the Army base where about seven RSSs were meeting. The second, (and I mean the "second") my recruiter put the van in park a light switch of nearly incoherent hollering erupted from him. Mostly to the effect of grabbing our sh*t, getting out of his car, and forming up on the hardball. And yes, some of the poolees and guests who had to much to drink did indeed p*ss themselves.
After that all we basically did was drill, PT, and prepare for the RSS competition. We took PFT, Ammo Can Lift, and Squad Pushups by the way.
Only a few instances of concentrated yelling at any one individual stick out in my mind. It was about two hours after we had initially set up the squad bay and we were formed up on the hardball at the position of attention. Most of us had figured out that the exact center of the head in front of you was far more interesting and rewarding to look at than our recruiters/DIs. They poolee next to me apparently found what the recruiter so interesting he had to look at him to hear it. In less than two seconds a sh*tstorm of curses, insults, and a general barrage of verbal assault rained down on him and was promptly quarter-decked for being "an undisciplined sh*tbag". I and two other poolees were quarter-decked just for good measure.

Other instances occurred throughout our two day..... escapade, like getting yelled at for saying "I", "my", or "me". Or requesting permission to speak to (incorrect rank) whoever, or making too many head calls.

It was actually rather fun. But you know how some things are a love/hate thing? Well Night Watch ain't one of them. Everyone hates it. It's even worse when you just get unlucky and land you self two in the same night, especially if they're only an hour apart.

Anyway, I know really boot camp wont be nearly as easy but I guess if your in pretty good shape, study your knowledge, and learn how to keep you bearing and fun stuff like that mini boot at least should be pretty simple. Recruit Training..... multiply mini boot by about a thousand fold and expect to be "that guy" at least once.

Kiri
12-17-10, 01:09 PM
My Mini-boot wasn't nearly as long as yours sounded. Only an afternoon, but my legs are still killing me whenever I have to go down stairs two days later. Holy Jesus I'm looking forward to PE today! :banana:

Kiri
01-10-11, 01:46 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5mmwQML23c?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5mmwQML23c?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I was obviously the girl getting screamed at at :15. Hell yeah!

wilsontc11
01-10-11, 06:31 AM
Honestly, thats more like a mini black friday then a mini boot camp. After the first week they stop constantly killing you like that, unless you really **** them off

Kiri
01-10-11, 11:50 AM
It was still fun though. C8 They just called it mini boot camp.