PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps life in California?

Tj3119
12-15-10, 11:18 PM
Basically just asking what life is like being stationed in California either at Pendleton or 29 Palms?

I’m hoping to get stationed at Pendleton I heard 29 Palms isn't that fun and it's out in the middle of no where, but then again it's not up to me, but since I'm going to MCRD San Diego and SOI West, there's a better chance at me getting stationed on the West Coast but it's a roll of the USMC dice. What is there to do during the week?, although I doubt Ill be doing a lot during the week and more on the weekends if I have time off. I’m going to have a car when I get stationed somewhere so I feel like my options will be a lot more open to me. If I was stationed at Pendleton could I go to LA for the weekend if I wanted to? Basically if I have the weekend off could I leave base and just do whatever I want, I’m 21 so basically partying. I just want to make the best of my time in the Marines and just have a good time and live it up....... any other advice would be great

Thanks in advance.

GunRock0811
12-15-10, 11:26 PM
I was at Pendleton and had a blast when I wasn't at work. San Diego isn't too far South, and LA isn't a bad drive north. I can't remember how far we were allowed to go on a regular weekend, but I'm pretty sure LA was fine. Bars get better the further you get from Pendleton. Not as many Marines obviously. The beaches are great too. I spent alot of time in San Clemente which is a very short drive from Pendleton. Make the most of it dude, you're 21 and living in Southern California. Stay out of Ocean Side at all costs.

KansazCity
12-16-10, 12:08 AM
I loved Pendleton! Like mentioned above San Diego, LA, Las Vegas on 96's, beaches all over the list goes on, just avoid Oceanside. Chances are you won't really have time to go out during the week, but yes on the weekends you're typically free. Regardless where you wind up, you'll find plenty of recreation and when you get to your unit your fellow Marines will give you a better, more up to date rundown of the go and no-go places. On a side note, I would worry more about learning your MOS and adapting to your new-found responsibilities as a boot in the fleet. Your chance to party will come, and no one does it better than Marines. Depending on where your stationed, civilians may try to challenge or take advantage of you so when you go out drinking, always go and return with another Marine (+ females if possible).

linda1945
12-16-10, 12:46 AM
avoid Oceanslime!!

usmcrro
12-16-10, 02:50 AM
29 Palms isn't too much fun. There are some things to do in Palm Springs but you'll get bored after awhile. Many Marines there who are into out door activities such as snowboarding (at Big Bear) and shooting find places to do them (legally). Many head out to LA, Las 'Wages', Anaheim and other southern Cal cities to have a good time (mostly during 96's). It's quite a drive to and from some of those places. Just stay out of legal trouble while you're out there.

gkmoz
12-16-10, 08:32 AM
I was stationed there for 19 months, Had a car like you will. All kinds of things to do /see. Never made it to Vegas though. I loved San Diego and the surrounding area. A lot of Navy though. I would not recommend TJ though kinda rough on Americans nowadays. S/F Gary :flag:

josephd
12-16-10, 11:17 AM
Dana Point and Huntington Beach...that's all I have to say

DrZ
12-16-10, 11:24 AM
Was stationed at MCAS El Toro in the 70s. Lots of things to do and a good place to party. It was closed 11 years ago now so the 'watch out for Marines' has probably decreased as a parents warning to their daughters. Newport Beach is a good place in the summer as well as Dana Point and Huntington Beach like Josephd said are also great locations. About a 1 hour drive north on I5.

Stay out of Hollywood. Way too many strange people there! lol.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-16-10, 01:40 PM
Go to San Clemente

P2zReEAZ1E0

DrZ
12-16-10, 02:41 PM
Go to San Clemente

P2zReEAZ1E0

SC is full of retired Marines. Wasn't a great place to party.

SGT7477
12-16-10, 06:40 PM
Didn't care for 29 stumps, now Okinawa was the place,lol, Semper Fidelis.

sparkie
12-16-10, 07:54 PM
You can go to Diego and sell hash on the beach,,,,,, Oh,,, well,,,,, nevermind.

Wrong decade,,,,,,,,,

DrZ
12-16-10, 09:11 PM
Life in the fast lane Sparkie? lol.

maelo
12-25-10, 07:40 PM
well im currenty stationed in cali over at pendleton in 62 area. I go outside the gate and im in San Clemente. LA and SD for me are about 1hr 15 min that if that sometimes without traffic. Avoid oceanside at all cost go to san clemente, Laguna beach, hungtington beach or anywhere up north. weekends you can go LA, SD, Vegas, Or anywhere you want unless you have duty. But if u dont doesnt matter as log as your back monday at the time they set. I love cali so lucky to have been stationed there im 21 as well and you will have fun.

29 palms i went there for my school and yeah it sucked but its also what u make it. If u have a car just leave on the weekends your smack dab in the middle of everything. So everything is within reach. Its what u make it and the people you are with that makes a place fun. i wouldnt want to be stationed there but i had good times the time i was there