PDA

View Full Version : I have a communications question.

luis2787
12-12-10, 04:25 PM
So yesterday i went an signed for my job at the poolee function and my questions is after doing 4 years of doing a comm job or a electrician job in the Marines would it help me get into SATCOM. Also do Marines in SATCOM deploy alot? i am just trying to find out some info thanks for you time.

TunTvrnWarrior
12-12-10, 04:31 PM
I am not sure about the answer to your question, and I am sure there is someone here that will have an appropriate answer. But, this is important..... Work on your pullups and crunches. You are shipping in 3 months. Focus on those, the running will come. Do what ever it takes to build muscle in your upper body, you are going to need it. I wish you great success.

josephd
12-12-10, 05:14 PM
So yesterday i went an signed for my job at the poolee function and my questions is after doing 4 years of doing a comm job or a electrician job in the Marines would it help me get into SATCOM. Also do Marines in SATCOM deploy alot? i am just trying to find out some info thanks for you time.

First off I would be more concerned with getting yourself at a fitness level that is acceptable for boot camp and as a Marine.

But to answer your question from what I have researched and know. That 4 years you have in the comm. field will help but in order to be a part of "SATCOM" you must be a Sgt/e-5 or higher (which you may not make in 4 years) and have some other scores and schools underneath you in order to even qualify. Then you have to be selected. I would imagine satcom marines would deploy regularly like everyone else. There is always a need for communications experts out in the field and always a need for that kind of gear to be fixed.

luis2787
12-12-10, 05:38 PM
First off I would be more concerned with getting yourself at a fitness level that is acceptable for boot camp and as a Marine.

But to answer your question from what I have researched and know. That 4 years you have in the comm. field will help but in order to be a part of "SATCOM" you must be a Sgt/e-5 or higher (which you may not make in 4 years) and have some other scores and schools underneath you in order to even qualify. Then you have to be selected. I would imagine satcom marines would deploy regularly like everyone else. There is always a need for communications experts out in the field and always a need for that kind of gear to be fixed.

thanks for the help

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-13-10, 10:53 PM
Dude, if your color perception isn't perfect you're basically guaranteed radios, electrician and line require perfect color vision.

luis2787
12-13-10, 11:57 PM
Dude, if your color perception isn't perfect you're basically guaranteed radios, electrician and line require perfect color vision.
My Vision is fine that i know of lol my EL score was a 98 so idk were i am going to be going. i know for FRO i need a 95 el score

Qwarkeh
12-17-10, 05:08 PM

Not completely true, the MOSes 0627 and 0628 (both are SatCom operator jobs) are available for Privates to Sergeants. However, if you want to become a 2834 (SatCom technician) you must be a Sgt or above and they usually come from the 28xx field.

luis2787
12-17-10, 08:52 PM
Not completely true, the MOSes 0627 and 0628 (both are SatCom operator jobs) are available for Privates to Sergeants. However, if you want to become a 2834 (SatCom technician) you must be a Sgt or above and they usually come from the 28xx field.

well that is my overall goal is to get into satcom

0627Instructor
03-25-11, 04:09 PM
Today is your lucky day!

Contrary to what joesphd said, you do not need to be a Sgt to get into SATCOM. How do I know? My MOS is 0627 which is SHF Satellite Communications Operator-Maintainer. I am an MOS instructor down at Ft. Gordon, GA, which is where all SATCOM goes to train.

If you get this MOS you have an okay chance of getting a job in the field after doing one enlistment. Most companies want either 8 years in the MOS or a degree in the field.

We have a very high deployment rate. In an issue of Marine Times a few months back, they listed they MOS's that deploy the most and for the longest and the 0627/0628 field was in the top three, ahead of the grunts even! (0628 was an MOS for one specifc system that has since been moved to the 0627 field.)

Also, I'm sorry but you EL is too low. You need a 100 minimum. Looks like radio or wire for you...

And I just noticed that you shipped two weeks ago... Too late!! Enjoy FROC!