PDA

View Full Version : Ideas?

mdsalern
12-12-10, 04:35 AM
I have been interested in joining the Marine Corps. After a couple of no's from recruiters, I found one that seemed to be on my side. My recruiter told me that he would put in for the waivers that I need to join, if I could come to him with the ability to complete a first class PFT. On the day that I arrived for our appointment, my recruiter was not there, but the head of the recruiting station was and we did the pull-ups and sit-ups; I wasn't required to run. I aced the two that I did.

After we finish, he tells me that he isn't willing/able to put in the waivers. In retrospect, I'm sure he didn't want to deal with it and I understand that. I had given up, but tonight I saw two Marines at a holiday party in their dress blues and realized that it really is something I would like to do. But now on top of the moral/criminal, I will now need one for age, although we were going to beat that deadline at the time.

I'm not sure exactly what to do at this point. I have recently considered trying to join the Navy as a Corpsman; it may be as close as I can get. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and in advance for any replies.

Phantom Blooper
12-12-10, 07:15 AM
In your case with an age waiver and a criminal...the navy may also be hard....try the army or national guard.....

If serving is right for you then any branch that will take you is where you now stand....

If you are serious about serving any branch that will give you the waivers....

If the Marines won't take you then you this is the only options available....

I am bias as a Marine.....however if you are cut out to serve and any other branch will except you and you keep your nose clean and your azz out of trouble you may have options with another branch.....

Go see them and lay your cards on the table.....that's the only way you will really know and see what your options are.

Regardless of branch.....it is a collective mission....you'll never know until you try.....don't call go see them with ALL your documentation and paperwork.

Good luck.....

SGT7477
12-12-10, 09:10 AM
It seems everyone has thought at one time or another to become a Marine, we will be always The Few The Proud because we don't let everyone in, we hold our standards high, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-13-10, 12:01 AM
The age waiver will be just about impossible to get. Matter of fact, I've never heard of one being granted.

I'd suggest another branch. You can still serve, and certainly shouldn't rule that out. But your chances of serving as a Marine are not optimal.

Marine84
12-15-10, 07:13 PM
It seems everyone has thought at one time or another to become a Marine

AAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

I would have to borrow somebody else's hands to count the number of kids that have come through here (during my time here) asking questions and seeming to be all gung ho for joining. They think about it for a minute and then the thought's gone.

See..................there it goes!

mdsalern
01-05-11, 08:36 PM
Would like to say thanks for your replies. I collected all of the documentation for my speeding tickets and other transgressions and went to see a new recruiter today....a Marine Corps recruiter.

We went through all of my information and then I gave the Sgt. my "rap sheet". He went to the head of the recruiting station and asked if there would be any problem getting my waivers approved and was told no. Now we wait and see if that actually is the case and I get a waiver.

I will say that I was taken significantly more seriously about my intent to join, having gone to the trouble of getting the documentation about my background.

Thanks again for all the help.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-07-11, 10:23 PM
Good! Keep us in the loop.