PDA

View Full Version : Infantry Height Requirement?

Stringzoffury
12-11-10, 11:34 AM
I know there is a minimum height to even enlist but would being a short person like me(5'1") make it less likely to get an infantry MOS?

advanced
12-11-10, 11:46 AM
Do we still need tunnel rats?

Stringzoffury
12-11-10, 12:43 PM
I'm assuming no, we don't need tunnel rats and that therefore your answer to my question is yes, it will be less likely for me to get an infantry MOS.

dback13
12-11-10, 02:45 PM
No there isn't one. I know someone who came in with me that's about your height.as long as you can do everything everyone else can do, you'll be fine.

Old Marine
12-11-10, 02:57 PM
The biggest problem you will have is that you will have to take many more steps that a 6' Marine when you go on a hump. In boot camp you will be at the end of the platoon and will be running everywhere you go to keep up. You will aquire the name "Feather Merchant." Have a great time.

dback13
12-11-10, 03:07 PM
This is 2010, not 1960.

Old Marine
12-11-10, 05:17 PM
This is 2010, not 1960.

So big deal. Your reply has nothing to do with how many more steps he will have to take because he is a short round.

Phantom Blooper
12-11-10, 05:45 PM
I know there is a minimum height to even enlist but would being a short person like me(5'1") make it less likely to get an infantry MOS?

Can you reach the trigger on an M-16?

Some of the most impressive grunts.....were little bulldogs....

As long a you meet the height requirements and weight standards for the Marine Corps....and as long as you can pull the trigger...carry weight....and hold your own there shouldn't be a problem....

Nicknames....get used to having something to do with your height....

Some duties have height requirements.....but the grunts never did as long as the minimum was met...58"

Quinbo
12-11-10, 05:48 PM
5 foot one sounds awefully short for any MOS. The height restriction would be if you can get in the Marines then you are tall enough to be in the infantry.

Is this another tar baby?

Quinbo
12-11-10, 05:51 PM
Some duties have height requirements.....but the grunts never did as long as the minimum was met...58"

I would probably lay an egg then give birth to a litter of kittens if I saw a grunt that was 4 foot 10 inches tall. I've seen some short people in the Marines but come on now .... Audi Murphy was taller than that.

Phantom Blooper
12-11-10, 06:16 PM
What is the height of a wallocker....can you reach the back of the top shelf or do you need to stand on a footlocker?

There could be disadvantages..... although camping supply houses and Wally World have folding step stools that will give that extra boost paint it camo.....you also might need another taller Marine to change lightbulbs....in garrison.....and on field day you get all the low spots.

Zulu 36
12-12-10, 02:21 PM
It also seems that the feather merchants ended up carrying the machine guns or base plates for the 81mm mortar. Coincidence? I think not. :D

AAV Crewchief
12-13-10, 04:02 AM

I was an inch taller than you when I enlisted. Grew 3 inches in the Corps. You will be OK. I got promoted 4 times in the Corps and not once did anyone ask how tall I was. If you can get AAVs you will have a definite advantage over your taller counterparts as you will fit in places most people cannot. Very important when busting rust underneath the engine/tranny on an AAV. You can do anything you want. Don't let the tall haters get on your nerves. If anything, the Corps will let you try and do most anything you want as long as you don't become a quitter when you do attempt things. I even got into Recon with color vision deficiency...again, it is HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT!!!

AAV Crewchief
12-13-10, 04:04 AM
Oh yeah, like me you will probably end up as HOUSE MOUSE in boot. It's not a bad job and you actually see a side to the drill instructors you might not see, well at least early on in training. The other guy we had as house mouse was a Cuban guy named Gonzalez. He was 5"6" and 103 pounds. He had to eat double rations the entire time at Parris Island, but it is hard to gain weight when you don't have time to eat all they pile on your plate.

DrZ
12-13-10, 07:09 AM
Meanest SOB in my boot platoon was 5' nada. He was house mouse for 1 day and p!sseded off the DI for something or other. Turns out he was also a black belt and would rip through anyone like ham and heavies. He ended up PFC out of boot.

Don't worry about your height. If you meet the minimum requirements to enlist.... you will come out of boot tougher because you did run everywhere to stay up with everyone.

Keep your eye on achieving your goals and don't sweat the petty sh!t.

martinj
12-13-10, 07:17 AM
I even got into Recon

Oh ya who you with?

TJR1070
12-13-10, 08:26 AM
Feather Merchant means short? I've heard the term but never actually knew what it meant. Anyone have an explanation how that term came about?

advanced
12-13-10, 08:30 AM
Ya'll had some pretty small house mice. Our house mouse was 6'2".

Phantom Blooper
12-13-10, 08:37 AM
Marine Corps Dictionary: Feather Merchant

Marine Corps Dictionary

A person short or of slight build or a person in a comfortable or easy assignment such as headquarters duty or some staff billet. Often used for all civilians working for the military.

TJR1070
12-13-10, 08:58 AM
Thank you PB, you are a gentleman and a scholar.