PDA

View Full Version : Lat move to 5811

maelo
12-10-10, 04:33 PM
Im almost 2yrs into my career and so far its been interesting. Im a 0621 (Field Radio Operator) stationed in Camp Pendleton with 3rd Battalion 5th Marines. Im pretty good at comm and ik how to do it but its not what i want. I was thinking about moving to being a MP. Ik ill be at least a CPL by next yr. What are some challenges of being a NCO with "shower shows" after being in the fleet for good while especially in the battalion im in. And being a NCO going into a job like a boot once again even though im not. Yes im still fresh in the game ik but im currently in my first combat deployment in sangin, afghan and will have another by times end here.

i just want some opion and if i get to choose me station cause even though i love pendleton my career will only be seeing afghan i wanna go to OKI.

Zulu 36
12-10-10, 05:14 PM
Im almost 2yrs into my career and so far its been interesting. Im a 0621 (Field Radio Operator) stationed in Camp Pendleton with 3rd Battalion 5th Marines. Im pretty good at comm and ik how to do it but its not what i want. I was thinking about moving to being a MP. Ik ill be at least a CPL by next yr. What are some challenges of being a NCO with "shower shows" after being in the fleet for good while especially in the battalion im in. And being a NCO going into a job like a boot once again even though im not. Yes im still fresh in the game ik but im currently in my first combat deployment in sangin, afghan and will have another by times end here.

i just want some opion and if i get to choose me station cause even though i love pendleton my career will only be seeing afghan i wanna go to OKI.

Everything changes with the years. I started in MPs at Camp Lejuene as a Corporal. However, the training requirements were very different. I was already qualified on the .45 pistol, so I was good to go. I rode around with a LCpl MP for a few days, then I was on my own as a patrol supervisor. That started my OJT period. I learned how to write reports, etc, from school trained PFCs and LCpls.

Later, when I went to Camp Pendleton, things were different there and I had to attend a three-week "academy" the PMO ran (mainly to train the FAP people, which I technically was as I was from the 1stMarDiv MP Company). I got my additional MOS assigned right afterward. However, I felt much more comfortable starting out at Pendleton than I did starting at Lejuene. That three-weeks of training made a big difference.

I preferred police work more at Pendleton than I did at Lejuene. The PMO (a full bull) was a Grade One Prick, but the whole operation was more professional. Also, a lot more friendly interactions with civilian police agencies at Pendleton then.

I imagine you will have to re-up to do this lat move and go to the MP school since things are so much different now, both in garrison and field MP work. The school will be essential. Also, if you are secure enough in your own skin to take advice and training from other MPs, junior in rank, but senior in MP experience, you'll have no problems on that front.

maelo
12-10-10, 05:53 PM
ohh thanks that provided insight i wouldnt have any problem with taking advice from junior ranks cause they are senior when it came to work but that is until i can plant my feet and keep the ball rolling. And yeah i will have to re-up but thats ok. Anyway hopefully if it goes the way i want i ont lose my head dealing with those marines in school cause we were all there being young and stupid.

Wood5831
12-10-10, 08:39 PM
I latmoved from 0311 to 5831 Corrections as a Sergeant. I went to MOS school first. Thankfully another Sergeant and a Staff Sergeant was going through with me. The Marine Detachment at the Schoolhouse left us 3 alone and allowed us to run/supervise the boots going through school.

My first day with my Section as I was shadowing the Watch Supervisor until I got the hang of things. At my introduction, the first thing I told the Marines under me was I know I am a Sergeant but I will be learning from you Pfc's, L/Cpls and Cpl's and it will be different for both of us. I let them teach me with how Quantico did business. I picked up on everything fast because I was behind the 8 ball. I volunteered to stand all the posts that Pfc's and L/Cpl's stood because I wanted to know how that post ran and what it felt like.

I also had A good Staff Sergeant who was the Duty Brig Supervisor and also was an 03 as well and a good Sergeant who was the outgoing Watch Supervisor. Both of them helped me tremendously as did all the Marines.

Good Luck with it.

sscjoe
12-10-10, 09:43 PM
Phil, that makes you a damn fine SNCO. I see you were MSG, by any chance did you ever serve with Kirk Muente?

Wood5831
12-10-10, 11:11 PM
Thanks. I can't say that name rings a bell. When and where was he at/on MSG?