PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about female marines

brittneyjohnson
12-09-10, 12:52 PM
i am 17 yrs old, and i am gonna join the usmc, been to pi mcrd once with high school for a hell week with a rotc class, and then thats when i decided that i wanted to be come a marine, but the ? i have is if to join being a female what jobs are open to females? cause i have talked with a recruiter and i dont feel as if they are giving it to me straight about what i can and can not do, i know it also depends on your asvab score, but i still would like to know. i cant do much till i turn 18 cause my family is dead set against me joining the marines but i just want to start looking, so any female marines, or any marine in that matter can you help me know what all female jobs in the corp there is.

Sergeant M
12-09-10, 01:22 PM
Anything but 03XX. Good Luck

tdrt
12-09-10, 01:25 PM
So why do you think the recruiter isn't "giving it to you straight." That's their job. They don't need to lie to recruit you. Have you seen the waiting list lately? They get to pick and choose the best "candidates."

GySgtRet
12-09-10, 01:36 PM
Being married your chances are cut in half. Not becasue you are not going to qualify but becasue you would be a waiver. Waivers are hard to come by these days at HQMC Quantico Virginia and the Enlisted Recruiting Branch. I see that you are home schooled and live in Arizona? Did you get a state certification? Do you have any college credits. It seems odd to me that You would like to become a Marine but you are under 18 but it is ok that you are married.

Gunny out
Semper Fi
:usmc:

brittneyjohnson
12-09-10, 01:51 PM
crpl m: thnxz
tdrt: the reason i dont think he is giving it to me straight is because my step father was recruiter, and he told me how recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, as so did my father and uncle and cousin.
gysgtret: im not married yet but we claim to be, i have my home school diploma, and no i do not have any college credits. i know i am under 18 but i turn 18 in april, and i plan on moving back east to join.

tdrt
12-09-10, 02:31 PM
crpl m: thnxz
tdrt: the reason i dont think he is giving it to me straight is because my step father was recruiter, and he told me how recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, as so did my father and uncle and cousin.
gysgtret: im not married yet but we claim to be, i have my home school diploma, and no i do not have any college credits. i know i am under 18 but i turn 18 in april, and i plan on moving back east to join.

So if they were recruiters and know all, why ask us?

egbutler1
12-09-10, 02:36 PM
Im not 100% sure on this with home schooling, but with GED candidates they have to complete so many credit hours in college before they can enlist, so you might want to ask your recruiter that as well. I think its like 14 credits need to be earned somewhere a long them lines. But like I said thats for GED people not to sure on the home schooling part. In fact you being home school just makes you smarter than the average graduating senior. I don't know if thats a fact, but with public schools these days it prolly is. Best of luck, you can do anything asvab permitting expect infantry or combat arms, like tanks lavs and such pretty much anything were your soul mission could be to find and slay the oppressors of freedom. Now anything that supports those guys who do that you can do. Which still will give you a good chance of find yourself down range pending on what you pick of course.

GySgtRet
12-09-10, 02:48 PM
My point exactly about college credits. But the home school stuff definatley agree with you. Thems kids are good to go...The Marine Corps is very selective in prospects these days and always have been physically, mentaly, and morally qualified has never changed. You just cain't get waivers if your DQ'd by one of them. This will probably turn out ok @brittneyjohnson since you won't need a dependent waiver.

my 2 cents

Gunny out
Semper Fi
:usmc:

Ed Palmer
12-09-10, 04:52 PM
DECEMBER 9--While she strangely denied serving in the armed forces, military records show that the actress Bea Arthur spent 30 months in the Marine Corps, where she was one of the first members of...

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-10, 12:14 AM
Neat stuff on Bea Arthur!

Getting back to the point....

The recruiter has no reason to lie. Quite frankly, the Marine Corps doesn't NEED you at this point. There is no shortage of volunteers, male or female. So why lie?

Your stepfather might have been a recruiter...but the question is, HOW long ago? A decade? More? What was true then isn't true now.

The jobs that aren't available to you are 'combat arms'. Infantry, Artillery, Tanks. Pretty much everything else is open.

josephd
12-11-10, 01:09 AM
.gysgtret: im not married yet but we claim to be, i have my home school diploma, and no i do not have any college credits. i know i am under 18 but i turn 18 in april, and i plan on moving back east to join.

what?....

first off at 17 why would you want to CLAIM to be married??

second, when joining you can't just claim to be something you're not.

third, with a home school diploma you will need to get some college credits in order to enlist (not sure how many it is anymore...12 or 15?)

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-10, 02:39 AM
Good call...I missed that detail. I can claim to be a biscut but that don't make it so.

If all you have is a home school diploma, AND an eventual marriage certificate to go with it, you are going to have MAJOR issues enlisting. Too many waivers.

Phantom Blooper
12-11-10, 06:16 AM
I can claim to be a biscuit but that don't make it so.

What kinda biscuit?

Why would you embellish something about marriage?

Your either married or your not.....

You can stake a claim all day long....unless you have the legal documents....you have no claim.....or standing.

It has always been a two side story.....My recruiter lied.....my recruiter was great and straight up....

There maybe a few.....but....today that is few and far between....recruiters are having no trouble because of time of war and economic decline to have qualified applicants with no laundry list banging on the RSS hatch....

Waiver can be had but hard to come by.....

Anything that you do schooling....marriage....dependents ....legal troubles...and medical you need legal documentation to support that claim....

Don't start off a quest by doing something that you may regret further down the road.

Recruiting has changed....the USMC is well and thriving with prospective recruits.....

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-10, 06:39 AM
I'm a hot buttered biscut :)

sparkie
12-11-10, 07:59 AM
I'm a hot buttered biscut :)

Yea, and I'm not married,,,,my wife is. :marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-10, 08:10 AM
Hahahahahaha.

Sheila Hays
12-20-10, 04:03 PM
Trust me, there are so many opportunities open to WM's than there were during my time. I chose 4011, Data Processing, and it was on the job training. In October of the following year, I was sent to...

Sgt Leprechaun
12-20-10, 05:29 PM
Well said, ma'am!!! Semper Fi.

latinoNU
06-07-11, 06:44 PM
i would just like to know what base are the good looking female marines located at. It seems i would have better luck finding a needle in a hay stack any advice?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-07-11, 06:46 PM
Yeah...until you get a profile completed...your posts will be deleted!

Site rules, even for Marines.

Tegan
06-07-11, 10:21 PM
I breezed through this topic and I hope to heaven that this girl did NOT GET MARRIED.

Rough Hands
06-08-11, 11:47 PM
Well, just to answer the immediate question; you can go into any MOS except those in the 03XX, 08XX and 18XX fields. Those are all infantry, field artillery, and tanks/AAVs. However, don't let anybody tell you that your only option is admin or supply, nor do you ever have to ship on an open contract. Just know that certain fields you get into, you may be the only female around. I'm a 1371, Combat engineer, and a lot of Marines don't even realize that particular MOS is even open to females because of the nature of some of the things that we do.

As for marriage... I'd advise against doing it before joining or even while you're a junior enlisted. I've seen a few marriages go sour already, and these Marines haven't even deployed yet. We had one motivated PFC get married over boot leave back in January; by the time we finished with MCT her hubby had already been unfaithful and she's now trying to settle a divorce. That's all in a period of 4 months, so take it as you will.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 06:45 PM
Good advice! Thanks PFC~!