PDA

View Full Version : How easy is a lat move?

sdkmcqueen
12-08-10, 08:46 PM
I've been told multiple times by my recruiter about how If I dont like my MOS then I can lat move after 2 years. My question is: How easy is it to lat move? Is it nearly impossible or can it be done fairly expeditiously?

thediesel713
12-09-10, 12:41 AM
Hard, unless the mos you are trying to go into is critical. My advise, get what you want now.

sdkmcqueen
12-09-10, 01:14 PM
Well the MOS' that I put down are all things I want to do, but my recruiter told me that my first choice (intel) might be filled. So I was wondering how hard it would be to lat move after either 2 years or after my first 4 years.

tdrt
12-09-10, 01:27 PM
If only I had a crystal ball...

GunRock0811
12-09-10, 01:37 PM
I might be wrong so someone please correct me if I am.....But doesn't your unit have some say as to whether or not you can lat move before your first four years are up? I think they have to be willing to let you go. We had a guy that wanted to lat move and he got a big negative. He just took the chain of command's word though, not sure what would have happened if he had pushed the issue.

Quinbo
12-09-10, 02:42 PM
If you get an enlistment bonus you must complete your entire contract in your MOS.

thediesel713
12-09-10, 11:39 PM
Yes, your COC can, and most likely will deny it, unless its a critical MOS. If you get a bonus you can opt to repay it. But who wants to do that??? Pick something you like and hope it dosen't get changed.

WXSgt
12-10-10, 05:40 AM
when i lat moved in 08 it was easy BUT i did it as incentive to reenlist. i also went to an MOS that was needing NCO's and had a latmove bonus. Intel is another one currently that is in high demand so latmove into that field should be simple if not after the 2 years getting MOS credibility then when you reenlist.

sdkmcqueen
12-10-10, 12:54 PM
What MOS did you lat move to? If you dont mind me asking that is.

WXSgt
12-12-10, 12:39 AM
lol WX in my name is an abbreviation for weather. im basically a glorified weatherman specialized in forecasting and telling them how bad military ops will be or good depending. MOS number 6842. used to be an NCO only MOS now it is dumbed down and is for all Marines.

usmcrro
12-13-10, 11:22 PM
Well the MOS' that I put down are all things I want to do, but my recruiter told me that my first choice (intel) might be filled. So I was wondering how hard it would be to lat move after either 2 years or after my first 4 years.

You also have the option of waiting until that MOS opens up. Once that happens, enlist and get your first choice.

Beltayn
12-14-10, 06:37 AM
The whole "you can lat move 2 years into your first enlistment if you don't like your job" is the biggest myth in the recruiting business.
99.99% of the time, you will not be allowed to lat move during your first term unless you commit to reenlisting.

Pick something you want and will enjoy doing for at least 4 years.

Marine3451
12-14-10, 02:15 PM
Most career planners will tell you to go away until your ready to reenlist. I had a guy in my shop want to lat move into intel but our MOS Monitor told him no until reenlistment and our MOS was at 135% strength at the time

sdkmcqueen
12-16-10, 10:25 PM
everything that I put down on my jobs list are jobs that I would enjoy in the Marine corps. That being said I never really thought about lat moving half way through my enlistment, I was just told that I could do this and was curious. If I dont get intel then my next choice is combat support. The most important thing for me right now is becoming a Marine.

sdkmcqueen
12-18-10, 02:14 AM
Another quick question: How difficult is it to lat move inside of the same field? Such as 0231 to 0261. Or vice versa in other MOS'.

Beltayn
12-18-10, 05:36 AM
A lat move is a lat move.