PDA

View Full Version : Is open contract all that bad?

DSCorum
12-08-10, 03:31 PM
Hello Marines. First let me thank you all for your service to our country. Our debt to you is endless. <br />
<br />
My situation is this: <br />
I depped in May, and I leave for PI in March. My asvab is 66 and my...

ggyoung
12-08-10, 04:17 PM
I believe that is a good way to go in. You will be put the Corps can use you to the best of your talents and brains. Most Marines in the past went in open. Good luck to you.

jairen
12-08-10, 04:34 PM
Open contract is kinda like volunteering to be drafted.

josephd
12-08-10, 05:02 PM
it can be good if you keep an open mind and not have a negative attitude about certain MOS's (ie. food service).

sparkie
12-08-10, 08:20 PM
In '69, all was open. I find no fault with that. P-S I believe all cooking is now civilian contract.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-09-10, 02:11 AM
The first mistake you're making is that thinking a DI has any power over what MOS you get. He doesn't.

Your second mistake is letting the Marine Corps put you wherever it wants. It's basically ASKING for the big green weenie the fvck you.

Tell him to get you a job that you want or you're walking. Get a waiver or do whatever you need to do to get that MOS you want. If an MOS is undermanned, it's for a reason, people probably don't want to enlist as admin or food services, so that's where you'll probably go.

usmchauer
12-09-10, 06:54 AM
M4L is correct in saying that your Drill Instructors have no bearing on what your MOS will be. After recruit training you'll attend MCT, and near the end of MCT you'll recieve your orders and find out what your MOS will be. If I was you, I'd do everything in my power to select a MOS field before I shipped. If you go open contract, there's a shot you may end up with a job you like, but if you have the opportunity to choose something, why roll the dice?

thewookie
12-09-10, 07:02 AM
I went open, I didn't get the original MOS I wanted but I finished my eight years on active duty with 6 MOS's. It's not ideal, but it is what you make it.

DSCorum
12-10-10, 12:24 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I am grateful of your wisdom from experience.

My recruiter suggested that I leave open docs until my 30 day pre-ship to see if anything else opens up. I'll also talk to my head recruiter when I get the chance. Also, I meant no disrespect to Marines with MOS's that I may think are undesirable. And you are right, I should be more open minded about where I take my career. The fear of a "crappy" MOS isn't as important to me as is getting technical skills that I can use in a post military career. But I will look into my situation more thoroughly.

Marine84
12-10-10, 05:27 PM
I went in open contract too. I told my Recruiter I didn't really give a rip what I would be doing, just get me in. I ended up in Ordnance and loved every minute of it.

It's a crap shoot either way.

SGT BLANCO
12-13-10, 10:39 AM
You failed to mention what you are interested in doing MOS wise other than 03. You should look into MOS's that work with 03's or are close. Some ideas are Combat Engineer, AAV's, or Artillery. I would strongly advise not going open contract. Use the chain of command at your recruiting station until you get something in writing even if that entails talking to the SgtMaj or Commanding Officer. Any other help let me know. Also, what state are you from?

SGT BLANCO
12-13-10, 10:41 AM
I would look into other MOS's like Combat Engineer, AAV's, or Artillery. Don't go open contract and use the chain of command if you need to. Talk to the SgtMaj or Commanding Officer to get an MOS and get your parent involved. Going in blind is not recommended. What state are you from? Let me know if I can help you out anymore.

Vandrel
12-13-10, 11:19 AM
AAV's :D

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_AAV7s_Come_Ashore_Somalia_lg.jpg

sparkie
12-13-10, 08:47 PM
Nice pics of Del Mar,,,,,,,,,,

SSgt Lamie
12-14-10, 10:39 AM
When you enlist on an open contract you will be assigned one when you arrive at MCRD. The way you perform at Recruit Training, and your DI's input has nothing to do with the specific job that you are assigned.

Basically what happens is that someone at MCRD, while screening you during the first day or two, will go through the list of jobs that you are qualified for based on your ASVAB scores and what is available. From that you MAY be given the opprotunity to select a job from that list.

Open Contract is not as bad a deal as most people make it out to be. Most people will tell you not to sign up Open because you will end up a Cook or in Infantry, which is completly false. Unless those are the only programs that you qualify for, you will be assigned to a more technical MOS.

DrZ
12-14-10, 11:28 AM
Back in the 60s, I think the majority, if not all of us, went in open contract. The Marines needed warm bodies back then. We took our tests and they assigned us where they needed us. I ended up in aviation electronics which is not really what I wanted to do but that is where I went.

All these years later, I am still in electronics and it has done well for my family and myself.

DSCorum
12-19-10, 11:34 AM
Thank you for your advice, Marines. It is very much appreciated and taken strongly into consideration. I filed for open contract a few days ago, so we'll see where the adventure takes me.

DSCorum
12-19-10, 12:10 PM
Sorry, I just read rule 6. My mistake.