PDA

View Full Version : USMC Crew Chief...is college possible?

D BOUJI
12-07-10, 11:13 PM
hello all...im currently working with my recruiter on a package for a crew chief (6174)...im just wondering...is it possible for me to get a degree while still in the Marines? Ive gotten mixed answer some say yes some say no. i mean is there time for college or is it 24/7 working and no free time? please all answers greatly appreciated

josephd
12-07-10, 11:28 PM
hello all...im currently working with my recruiter on a package for a crew chief (6174)...im just wondering...is it possible for me to get a degree while still in the Marines? Ive gotten mixed answer some say yes some say no. i mean is there time for college or is it 24/7 working and no free time? please all answers greatly appreciated

sure its possible but you won't have much time to do anything else

as a crew chief you'll spend a lot of time on the flight line and with your bird, whatever extra time you will have you can either be taking your classes or have some leisure time..??...

DrZ
12-08-10, 07:08 AM
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. As josephd stated... you will spend a considerable amount of time with YOUR bird. I say YOUR bird because you are responsible for it. If the aviators can't fly.... you damn well better have answers for them. So you will be there until it is up and ready!

If you are not planning on taking a full load at university... you can fit it in. Remember that neither the Marines nor university works their schedule around you but you around their schedule. That is where you are going to run into issues. Whereas you can go to class online or in the evenings (sometimes).... taking finals are to a schedule and that will make it tough.

Whatever you decide...good luck.

elliscraig12
12-08-10, 09:29 AM
I've read in the Chicago Sun Times yesterday that more and more Universities are offering degrees online. You should look into this. More and more people with a full time job are taking this route because they don't have time for a traditional classroom setting. Maybe this could help you out.

03Mike
12-08-10, 10:56 AM
This seems to be a recurring question...

My two cents - yes, college is possible in the Marines regardless of MOS. For most Marines, college becomes realistic on their second enlistment. Some Marines will be able to start college during their first enlistment, but much of that depends on duty station, deployment schedule, and lastly, MOS. I would advise anyone considering going to college while on active duty to not even dream of doing it during their first two years -- you need to learn you job and your profession first.

As far as schedules and going to school online, that is a definite and viable option once the time is available. If you want specifics and recommendations based upon my experience - PM me.