PDA

View Full Version : Recon, Force Recon

kohlio
12-07-10, 09:34 PM
I'm wondering whats the Difference between force recon and recon. or if there even is a difference and whats the process of getting selected for BRC. I cant seem to find anything about it. My asvab and all thats high enough i just dunno if i wanna pursue that path. I hear its just alot of humpin around with a gargantuan pack on. Any ino will help thanks.

josephd
12-07-10, 10:01 PM
"Force Recon" doesn't really exist anymore, it has gone to just recon. MARSOC has taken the place of what used to be force recon.

kohlio
12-08-10, 12:07 AM
See thats what i thought. So I know a little about marsoc but i heard their more on the political end of things so i'd rather not get mixed up about it. SO.....what about recon then.

cpayne
12-08-10, 01:01 AM
check out the website "strong men armed - The Marine Corps 1st Reconnaissance..." While Force Recon may now be Recon, it still falls under the Expeditionary unit(s). Yes you will be humping a pack and gear, but you will do things no one else will do. Recon is a calling not a hum-ho decision.:usmc:

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-08-10, 02:15 AM
I thought FORECON go consolidated into division recon, they just added an extra company to each battalion and that company worked as force recon. My understanding is that they do recon for entire task forces.

ritter
12-08-10, 04:47 AM
Force Recon still exists.

martinj
12-08-10, 05:28 AM
Force is definitly not what it used to be. Out here in 3d force is chosen alphabetically. But at first and second force is still pretty legit, forces main job is MEUs doing ship recovery and things of that nature. Force did take a huge hit when they stood up marsoc, but it's slowly getting back to where they were.

03Mike
12-08-10, 11:13 AM
Just to clarify - the Force Reconaissance Companies still exist.

Here's the deal:

Force Reconaissance Company - is exactly that. It is the reconaissance force that reports directly to the Force commander. Which force? That would be the Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) - and the MEF commander is a 3 star general.

Reconaissance Battalion is the reconaissance force that reports directly to the Division commander (a two star general).

Both organizations have as their primary mission, amphibious reconaissance. They both serve as the eyes and ears of their respective commanders. Both have a myriad of capabilities and are trained for special missions, including direct action (but these are all collateral missions to reconaissance -- observing and reporting). For most reconaissance missions, the recon Marines should never fire their personal weapons. Direct action missions are a different story, but that's for another posting.

Other than who they report to, what are the differences between Force Reconaissance and Division Reconaissance? Primarily the location of their mission, and to some extent, the timing of their mission. If you know the basic structure of a MEF, then you know that the Marine Infantry Division is the GCE - the Ground Combat Element. Division recon is tasked on reconaissance missions that will facilitate the MARDIVs mission. The Division also has the Light Armored Reconaissance Battalion (LAVs) - as the name implies, they conduct reconaissance too - but a different type of reconaissance. The Division Recon battalion will observe and report with stealth from areas forward of the main battle line and will focus on threats to the Division or areas where the Division will be operating in the next couple of weeks.

The Force company will frequently be employed well in advance of Division reconaissance. The MEF commander is looking much deeper and further in the future. In a reconaissance role, Force Recon Marines are conducting "deep reconaissance" - in areas that will be impacted several weeks out, and usually in areas beyond artillery support (but not always).

Both recon organizations are highly trained. Both train for a variety of missions - including direct action and missions that can be classified as "special operations". Generally, recon units are staffed with highly trained and highly capable Marines - and the selection process is very competitive (you can largely choose whether or not to be part of a recon unit - try that with any other unit -- "Hey Marine, want to try out to be part of this rifle platoon?). Generally, recon training budgets are much larger on a "per Marine" basis than for most units. As a result, they train more.

MARSOC - Marine Special Operations Command is a different animal entirely.

FistFu68
12-08-10, 12:13 PM
:evilgrin: Give it a Try YoungBuck If Ya live You'll definately know the difference between Bn.Recon or Force Recon...Link Forever Those Who Served Together!!!:beer: :iwo:

kohlio
12-08-10, 01:12 PM
thanks for helping me out. The thing is if i was going to serve i wanted to be with the best: Marines. Whats one step further? Marine Recon. So i'm really looking into it thanks for your inputs. If you have any more info it can help still

03Mike
12-08-10, 02:28 PM
Step 1 - become a Marine infantryman
Step 2 - prove yourself to be amongst the best Marine infantrymen
Step 3 - then, if you want, pursue a recon position

Just my advice.

I've known many very good recon Marines - and many who wouldn't trade their experience for anything. And I've known many very good infantry Marines who likewise wouldn't trade their experience in a rifle company for anything. Likewise, I've known some excellent infantrymen who moved from a line company to the division recon battalion and then eventually to the Force company - and two who went from there to MARSOC. While you may have a long term goal, you need to realize that it is a step by step journey, and you shouldn't skip steps.

SGT7477
12-08-10, 03:37 PM
I'm wondering whats the Difference between force recon and recon. or if there even is a difference and whats the process of getting selected for BRC. I cant seem to find anything about it. My asvab and all thats high enough i just dunno if i wanna pursue that path. I hear its just alot of humpin around with a gargantuan pack on. Any ino will help thanks.
Earn our title first sunshine, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Wood5831
12-08-10, 05:37 PM
I say go for it. I did and glad I did. The Friday we graduated from SOI, we checked in on MCB Camp Lejune and some guys from 2nd Recon were there and did their brief and all. I volunteered and was screened. That weekend we spent at 2nd Recon. There NCO's ran our dicks into the ground and we PT'd in prep for the indoc.

I took the indoc and got hurt and was a DQ. I went back to the fleet and then realized after my leg healed it was a pita to get my unit to release me to take it.

Yes Force Recon still exists and actually are going to be back deploying with the MEU(SOC) again.

kohlio
12-09-10, 06:22 PM
Thanks everybody and to sgt 7477 I ship in 3 weeks so i'm plannin on it