thedrifter
10-03-03, 11:41 AM
Submitted by: MCB Camp Lejeune <br />
Story Identification Number: 2003102152736 <br />
Story by Lance Cpl. Adam C. Schnell <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(Oct. 2, 2003) -- CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. From the days of Marines...

Amtracs
10-03-03, 12:41 PM
At one time we use to keep our Rifles in rifle racks in the squad bay. The only time they went in the armory is when the owner went on leave. Just a few thoughts from an old "Broke Dick".

Semper Fi,
Dick Lavello (Tampa)

USMC-FO
10-03-03, 03:22 PM
I am with you Sgt Major. I remember well that at every one of my duty stations I was issued a rifle which stayed with me until I moved on to the next duty station, at which point it got turned into the armory. I guess too I am a bit surprised that a "grunt" outfit would not keep their rifles with them at all times.

S/F

yellowwing
10-03-03, 03:47 PM
"This system allows any optic, laser or night vision sight with a rail grabber to slide into place" - How are these young bucks going to sight in the new attachments if they do it on the fly in the field? Is the engineering that good?

greensideout
10-03-03, 07:42 PM
Good point yellowwing.

The flat top M-16/AR-15 has been around a long time, I guess the Government just arrived. It's handy for putting on a scope or sighting system of choice. It also provides a sighting position for better check contact on the stock.

Some scope systems can be taken off and put back on without a loss of accuracy, or so it is claimed. I would think that a 2" MOA would work for most battlefield use. On and off might do in that case, however if a range beyond 200 meters is a target possibility, sighting-in would be a necessity I believe.

Having a sighted-in weapon that was handled out of view by others, ie. turning it in to the armory would not lead to confidence in the weapon until fired for accuracy---when would they have a chance to do that in the real world?

leroy8541
10-04-03, 07:02 AM
I would not be very happy going into a fire fight not knowing if my if my BZO was accurate or not. Every firearm has its own characteristics and no two shooters are exactly the same letting a sighted in weapon out of your sight before going into battle sounds like a catastophe waiting to happen.