PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a better workout routine

Neumann
12-06-10, 08:55 AM
I'm Neumann 6' 2" 150lbs. I'm trying to get a workout routine that works better for me. My routine is just basic running, push-ups, and crunches. The problem is it's not helping me overall. I'm not looking to spend much money since I don't have a kob at this time and the nearest gym is 30 miles away any idea's or possible way to contact me and give me a more in depth routine would be helpful. I'm going for 03XX next year and want to do the best I can do at MEPS to get me infantry. Thanks for your time.

Neumann

thewookie
12-06-10, 09:20 AM
My routine is just basic running, push-ups, and crunches.

Why is this not working, you must not be pushing yourself enough. This works for millions of people over the years. Mix up the runs with some sprints, go longer distances at a slower pace, go shorter distances at a faster pace. You don't have to re-invent the wheel. Add some pull-ups -- wide, normal, and close grip and you're fine. Focus on basic core exercises and based on your size and weight -- the Corps will take care of the rest. Good luck.

Marine3451
12-06-10, 09:40 AM
Google Crossfit and do the exercises that dont require equipment

thediesel713
12-06-10, 11:13 AM
Google Crossfit and do the exercises that dont require equipment

Diddo. I've lifted weights, alot, since middle school and always thought I was in good shape. Started this about 3 months ago, and found out what good shape really is.

S/F

thewookie
12-06-10, 11:39 AM
Crossfit is good to go,,, I did it for a while but I have been a slacker lately. The other day I wasn't feeling like doing the usual shuffle around the bogs across the street from my house so I went to my old high school and did an hour of sprints on "the hill" our football coaches used to thrash us on back in the day. Two days later I had sore muscles in new area's.

thediesel713
12-06-10, 03:36 PM
Crossfit is good to go,,, I did it for a while but I have been a slacker lately. The other day I wasn't feeling like doing the usual shuffle around the bogs across the street from my house so I went to my old high school and did an hour of sprints on "the hill" our football coaches used to thrash us on back in the day. Two days later I had sore muscles in new area's.

I hear ya, its hard to stay on schedule with the WODs. I just about died from todays.

revleo
12-07-10, 12:29 AM
Or two would do ya good. And it will fall in line for what you will need to do. Load a good Ruck full of as much weight you can handle. And go for a good long tough Hump. I remember a good 30 miler. Up ***** ridge. Just get used to a lot of humping. And the best way is to hump

Neumann
12-07-10, 08:10 AM
Yep I do quite in my free time for fun anyways. I take a pack with me filled with extra weight it varies from one to the other how much weight I put in but it always has weight.

Neumann
12-07-10, 08:12 AM
Why is this not working, you must not be pushing yourself enough. This works for millions of people over the years. Mix up the runs with some sprints, go longer distances at a slower pace, go shorter distances at a faster pace. You don't have to re-invent the wheel. Add some pull-ups -- wide, normal, and close grip and you're fine. Focus on basic core exercises and based on your size and weight -- the Corps will take care of the rest. Good luck.

I do mix it up and do push myself but it seems that it isnt doing anything when I only have limited resources and don't have the money to do much other than work the same muscles that I know how to but thanks for the input. Take care.

Neumann

thewookie
12-07-10, 08:54 AM
I do mix it up and do push myself but it seems that it isnt doing anything when I only have limited resources and don't have the money to do much other than work the same muscles that I know how to but thanks for the input. Take care.

Neumann

I hear what you are saying, but please, don't take that bag of excuses to boot camp.

The only resource you really need is heart; your maker has provided you the rest -- legs and arms, etc. You don't need money either. You just need heart and the determination to achieve better results. If you are in decent shape, seeing results isn't always the easiest. Just keep plugging along, add some pull-ups to your routine, and then when you get to boot camp you will truly know what I mean when I say you are not pushing yourself enough. You can't possible know what that means, from a Marine's perspective, until you have earned the title. Then you will look back at the training you do now and see where refinement could have been made.

Good luck, stay motivated, and keep doing the basics.

Phantom Blooper
12-07-10, 10:24 AM
The only resource you really need is heart; your maker has provided you the rest -- legs and arms, etc.

Yep you can't build a better mousetrap.....

But you can find ways to improve....

You have allot of resources in your own home.....

Do arm curls with trash cans....put up a cheap pullup bar from scrap....

crunches....run...walk...hump....

Control diet....eat healthy as possible....

Adapt...Improvise....Overcome.....

thediesel713
12-07-10, 12:57 PM
How do you think you are going to be getting in shape at boot camp? They aren't going to take you to the gym, I can tell you that for sure.

revleo
12-08-10, 12:18 AM
Whats a Gym. LOL. truth to tell just plain old walking for long distances with ever increasing weight will do the job. And I cannot stress this enough. Unless they have seriously made major changes to Boot. nothing you do will be as hard as it will be. When you get there. It is not just the physical it is also the mental. They will push you to your limit and beyond. And that is the point you have to learn that nothing. And I mean nothing can stop. A U.S. Marine! And you only learn that at boot. I am not saying do not train. Just be prepared to see what real training is like. It is hard to explain if you have not done it yet. Like explaining the color blue to a blind man. But you will see and you will overcome if you are meant to be one of us. Nothing on God's Green Earth will stop you.

Neumann
12-08-10, 08:16 AM
I am already in shape but as you all said there is always room to improve. I can do over the well under the required run time, push ups, crunches and pull-ups required to get into basic but I don't like being just good enough I want to be the best I can be before I go in. I can't enlist till next year and I know a good IST at MEPS is going to help me get Infantry. I want to go carerrer in the Corps but first like always I have to get in to do it. Thank everyone for your time and inspirational words of commitment. And know I'm not going to take the I didn't have money excuse with me to Boot Camp. I know it won't help me in California.

thewookie
12-08-10, 08:30 AM
I know it won't help me in California.

I can't speak to Cali -- but, at Parris Island excuses are not taken lightly. ;)

There must be off road adventure events in your area. I just created team (sexy mudda muckers) and signed up for tough mudder race on mt Snow VT in May 2011. It is 8 miles running up and down Mt snow (lots of vertical climbing) with obstacles to clear like carrying log up expert trail, crossing river on ropes, 60 ft of monkey bars, climb walls, ice, barbed wire, swim under barrels in freezing water from mountain snow run off and stuff like that.... I can't wait. Now I have a reason, an additional reason to wear myself out this winter when everybody else is sitting inside by the fire.

Look them up, http://toughmudder.com/ and see if they are in your area, it's run and put together by British SF -- and I hear they know a thing or two about getting the most out of people. Good luck.

Neumann
12-08-10, 09:01 AM
That sounds awsome. I live in Northern Michigan so I know about the cold doing P.T. in it isn't the easiest but it gets done.

Neumann
12-08-10, 09:07 AM
I just wrote down the number they have one coming to michigan in 2011

Blutic
12-14-10, 07:01 AM
Sounds like you need the ghetto workout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8

There are of other great workout videos there that you can do at home.