PDA

View Full Version : Skin problems?

The New Guy
12-05-10, 07:11 PM
Hello everyone, I'm an average guy preparing myself to join the USMC as soon as I'm able to (I'm 16) and I'm willing to give 110% effort to earn the Marine title. However, I have a problem that could potentially hold me back before I even lay eyes on the barracks at Parris Island.

I've got a bunch of scars across my back shoulders called keloids and I was wondering if these would disqualify me at MEPs. They don't do anything except for looking real frickin ugly and keeping me from tanning at the beach. Also, how might you guys react to seeing someone with keloids in your shower bay during boot? I'm wondering because I'd have enough stress dealing with boot camp and don't really want the extra torture of having the entire platoon treat me like some freak.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

DrZ
12-05-10, 07:27 PM
Since you know what it is, I take it you have seen a doctor concerning the issue. Take your medical documentation with you. Depending on the size of the scaring or the amount of growth of the scaring, you could have issues. Just take your documents and talk to the doctors at MEPs.

Good luck and let us know.

Lisa 23
12-05-10, 07:31 PM
I'll second what DrZ mentioned.
The Marines here have no idea if this will be a problem for you or not on wanting to join the Marine Corps.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Skin and cellular tissues

Current or history of keloid formation (701.4), if the tendency is marked or interferes with the proper wearing of military equipment, is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/skin.htm

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-05-10, 07:58 PM
As WM mentioned, it depends on severity. I have occasional bacne, but it doesn't keep me from wearing a ruck. If it's bad enough that you can't hump an 80 or 100 pound pack, it'll be disqualifying.

If it's visible it really isn't something you can lie about either, which sucks.

The New Guy
12-05-10, 08:30 PM
Well it doesn't keep me from doing anything. I can wear a heavy back pack, shrug my shoulders, do everything normally. It's just... there.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the input. I guess I have no way of finding out until I get there... That kinda sucks.