PDA

View Full Version : A call for help.

animal10
12-04-10, 08:33 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, as i am extremly new to this sight and probably the youngest member og leatherneck i have decided to join the famous usmc. before i get to my questions at hand allow to introduce myself.

My name is Troy Bartles, i am a son of a former marine who served for almost 20 years and i have always had a great love for the corps. i thank all of you for everything you have done to protect this country and our freedom as it has caused me to want to walk in your footsteps..

now, i have quite a few questions. as soon as i graduate from school i plan on going to the nearest recruiter and signing up so i can get on the next bus to parris island. but when i get there im confused about which MOS to attempt to follow. i really wish to be in combat and fight alongside the comrades i will meet, but if my decision does change and i decide to eventually leave i want to have some past experiance so i can go into thhe work force. so if you can give me any advice it will be highly appreciated.

thank you,
Troy.

SGT7477
12-04-10, 09:04 PM
You said your father is a Marine, can't he steer you in the right direction?

animal10
12-04-10, 09:11 PM
sadly enough my friend my father does not agree what so ever with me joining so until he warms up to the idea i dont have much help on that end

Old Marine
12-04-10, 09:35 PM
Troy:

Have you asked you Father why he does not want you to join the Corps? Maybe he has some good advice he can relay to you, if you were to sit with him and listen to what he has to say. Remember, that he has been there and done that.

animal10
12-04-10, 09:47 PM
old marine,
thank you for the advice and i will try again to sit and speak with my father about it. but also my reasoning to posting this thread was to find advice on a combat mos where i can also have some sort of experiance in a work field after but still be in the fight. any advice on that issue?

advanced
12-05-10, 05:32 AM
My father and two of my uncles, all WWII Marines told me the same thing. I didn't listen. As a father I told my 4 sons not to go in. Unfortunately, they all listened to me. Looking back, I wish that at least one of them had not listened.

DJ860420
12-05-10, 09:56 AM
Picking a MOS is picking your job for the next 4 years. Everyone is going to have different opinions, while they are all good to take into account, the most important is yours. What do you want to do? Fix electronics, kick in doors, fix vehicles, file paperwork, who knows but you. Don't be the one to join a random job because you thought it would help later on, then hate life and get out a PFC or something because you hate your job.

TweetyByrd
12-09-10, 01:32 PM
Picking a MOS is picking your job for the next 4 years. Everyone is going to have different opinions, while they are all good to take into account, the most important is yours. What do you want to do? Fix electronics, kick in doors, fix vehicles, file paperwork, who knows but you. Don't be the one to join a random job because you thought it would help later on, then hate life and get out a PFC or something because you hate your job.

Adding on to what DJ said, make sure you research the job you think you might want and then work towards doing whatever it is that you need to be able to do to get that job before you even sign up, and don't forget to study for the ASVAB and try to get a higher score.

usmcrro
12-13-10, 10:19 PM
If you enlist, don't let the recruiter dictate your decision. If he/she got you mos or contract wrong, fix it or the USMC may become the most miserable time of your life. Certain mos's do apply to certain civilian jobs right off the bat infantry mos's are applicable to law enforcement and security and if you were a combat engineer you may want to consider construction related work.

micarr57
12-14-10, 07:09 AM
talk to your dad find out why he doesn't want you to join he may have a good reason
when i joined i was 17 had to have a parent sign for me my dad WW2 navy pacific theater refused to sign i talked my mom into signing for me. when they came for my graduation from boot neither recognized me ithink thats what changed my dads mind
never asked him why too late to do so now
my MOS 1833 translated into carpenter never did figure that one out
good luck

advanced
12-14-10, 07:21 AM
I would suggest Marine Corps Infantry. I've always felt that whatever one does in their life, it never hurts to have a few kills under their belt. When people see that thousand yard stare in your eyes they'll take you more seriously.

doc h fmf
12-15-10, 06:31 PM
JOIN THE NAVY BECOME A FIELD MEDICAL TECH ( A DEVIL DOC) THE NEXT BEST THING. I SPENT 8 OF my 11 YRS WITH THE MARINES I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
best of luck to you

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 fmf