PDA

View Full Version : Intel duties / Recon lat

Checker
12-03-10, 03:48 PM
Hello, Marines! I have signed into the 02xx/26xx field. I am happy with this choice however, I don't mean to sound cliche, but I don't exactly want to get stuck behind a desk my whole career. If that is the case, can someone of any MOS try out for Recon? That was my goal from the get-go, and the only reason I wouldn't lat into 03xx is I hear that "pogs" receive a lot of guff from the seasoned 03's. Then I heard about 0211, so instead of starting a new thread, I may as well ask here. What exactly do 0211's do? I've heard many things, from interrogations to secret-agentesqe operations. So, do intel and counter-intel get to see a lot of the field or just a screen?

Thank you,
Jon

ritter
12-04-10, 04:53 AM
If you want Recon then do Recon, don't do another MOS and then plan to lat move later. I hate to break the bad news to you, but if you decide to lat move to Recon then you'll have to go to SOI and obtain 0311 before you can attend BRC. No one here is going to discuss what exactly counter intel does, you'll just have to find out when you obtain that MOS if you make it through boot camp.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-05-10, 05:50 PM
If you want recon, go for it now dude. Lat move to 03 will not happen, last thing they need is some pog corporal with no combat experience in charge of 12 other Marines.

DJ860420
12-05-10, 05:58 PM
Do you know the screening process for 0211s? It isn't easy by any means. I don't know first hand, but one of my friends was trying for it and didn't make it. Failed at his last field exercise. You can't just have first class training stats and make it, you still need to be able to speak clearly, write papers, and answer board questions confidently.

Checker
12-05-10, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the information! Ritter, so what you're saying is that basically, to lat into Recon you need to go 0311 first? I wouldn't mind that at all, but I was just concerned with exactly what Muhreen4Lyfe had said. DJ860420, I would imagine it would be hard, seeing how it must be a VERY confidential MOS from what Ritter had said that you won't find out what you do till you get there. But hey, it never hurts to try something hard every once and a while! Plus, on the bright side I have plenty of time to brush up on those skills.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-05-10, 07:55 PM
I think you took that out of context, if you're a straight shooter and humble about it instead of coming in throwing your rank around you should be good. Marines are a hard crowd to please, come in arrogant they'll hate you, come in weak and they won't respect you. It's a fine line to walk.

If you want Recon get an 03 contract and try to get BRC guaranteed. If they don't do that anymore the only way is to request it. If you want something in the Corps, go for it. Don't bother with another MOS if you plan on lat moving before you ever get to MOS school.

Checker
12-05-10, 08:30 PM
I am all for intel, don't get me wrong. However, it's just I don't want to get stuck behind a desk, as I said before. I scored a 125 on the DLAB and got 75 on the ASVAB, so I think my range of knowledge could be put to good use in intel (not saying that Infantry doesn't have smart guys). I just am trying to make a web of things I could do in my career. I also hear that if you leave your original PMOS it's easier to pick up rank.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-05-10, 11:42 PM
rrrah poolee checker

well, hopefully you get put in a deployable unit and do some high speed operating. If not prepare some powerpoints for higher.