PDA

View Full Version : MOS 1833 Assault Amphibious Vehicle

Dveres95
12-02-10, 08:19 PM
I leave for Parris Island in 7 weeks, Jan 24 2011. Im going in reservist then switching over to active duty once I go in, my recruiter told me it is the fastest way to get into the Marine Corps right now since im 24. I just locked in MOS 1833 Assault Amphibious Vehicle for my job. Do any Marines have any incite to this MOS at all? I have done research but I would like to hear some first hand experiences of any Marine who was in this MOS.

Thank you
D. Veres

Old Marine
12-02-10, 09:36 PM
If you search this site, you will be supprised as to what you will find.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-02-10, 11:07 PM
my recruiter told me it is the fastest way to get into the Marine Corps

lolololol

Don't listen to him, if you want active duty tell him you won't accept anything less. Since you have a choice going into reserves choose Abrams, at least those things have actual armor on them.

Your recruiter is trying to fvck you over. Pick a job YOU want, and go active if you want. Now you're going to have to go down to MEPS and be pressured to sign that 1833 contract. I honestly don't know what your recruiter would do if you refused it this late in the game. Some will just stop working with you.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-02-10, 11:14 PM
First, switching from reserves to AD is, as I understand it, a difficult process at best and impossible at worst.

Next, PM 'aav crewchief'. While he's been out for some time, he likely has the insight you seek.

M-4, he may not have a choice of Abrams, there may not be any close enough to him, so he might only be able to get what he's got.

josephd
12-03-10, 01:24 AM
Like the others have said, if you want to go active duty then get an active duty contract. Switching over to active duty from reserves is a long drawn out difficult process, I have been through it twice now only to be to be denied from the active duty side. Your recruiter is telling you this so he can fill a reserve slot, he is not looking out for your career as a Marine.

As for being an 1833 AAV crewman, I have two friends that are in AAV's. One is a AAV/platoon commander the other is just a regular enlisted crewman. Both are just getting back from deployment and were doing completely different tasks and missions. It could vary.

Ceckert85
12-03-10, 02:05 PM
I work in supply where you will be going to mos school. Down here in Camp Pendleton, Ca. Assault Anphibian School Battallion. you will run into me eventually