NCdad
12-02-10, 10:05 AM
My son took oath yesterday at MEPS
Ship date early March
Have been following threads here for awhile
Thanks to all for your Service

DrZ
12-02-10, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the Leatherneck family. You will need to continue to guide and direct him through his poolee time. He will need that structure and support throughout his time as a poolee and as a Marine. And he will need to be told to Man Up at times when he gets back from an event a bit beat up, worn out, and ready to toss the whole idea.

Again, welcome and congratulations.

SGT7477
12-02-10, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the finest fighting force in the world, Semper Fidelis.

jdubbya
12-02-10, 02:58 PM
Congrats to your son, from another Marine dad. I'm certain you have always been proud of him, but that is about increase ten fold! Best wishes to him and your family!

NCdad
12-02-10, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes

foreverproud
12-02-10, 06:29 PM
Welcome NCdad! :flag:

newskate9
12-06-10, 02:33 PM
Congrats sir. My son has been a poolie for a bit now, and leaves next week for Boot. He has been working his tail off and is excited to go. I wish you and your son all the very best.

Want to have some fun? Give it few months for your son to get into the poolie-thing. Then if he doesn't ask, tell him to invite the poolies over for pasta meal, or some video games, etc. You'll be amazed at how many yesirs, yesma'ams, nosirs and noma'ms you and your family will hear. I think the transition to Marine occurs the instant they raise that right hand - and it is pleasure to behold.

Rocky C
12-06-10, 03:00 PM
Welcome NC Dad !!!

NCdad
12-06-10, 03:52 PM
Congrats sir. My son has been a poolie for a bit now, and leaves next week for Boot. He has been working his tail off and is excited to go. I wish you and your son all the very best.

Want to have some fun? Give it few months for your son to get into the poolie-thing. Then if he doesn't ask, tell him to invite the poolies over for pasta meal, or some video games, etc. You'll be amazed at how many yesirs, yesma'ams, nosirs and noma'ms you and your family will hear. I think the transition to Marine occurs the instant they raise that right hand - and it is pleasure to behold.
Thanks for the welcome

NCdad
12-06-10, 03:53 PM
Welcome NC Dad !!!
Thanks and Thank you for your Service!!!!!

NCdad
04-14-11, 11:40 AM
Well after 2 delays my son ships 04/18/11
He is ready and looking forward to the challenge
I am very proud of the path he has chosen
MOS 0321
Semper Fi

surfer2513
04-14-11, 11:46 AM
I ship monday as well!

MOS 0321
Semper Fi

NCdad
04-17-11, 02:18 PM
I ship monday as well!
Good luck to you

NCdad
04-18-11, 07:47 PM
Just got the "call" my son has arrived at Parris Island MCRD

BadAce2212
04-18-11, 07:58 PM
WelcomNCdad and I extend congrats to your son. He just took another step closer to one of the greatest honors in this country in my opinion, Becoming a United States Marine. Congrats again to you and your son and Semper Fidelis.

NCdad
04-18-11, 09:07 PM
WelcomNCdad and I extend congrats to your son. He just took another step closer to one of the greatest honors in this country in my opinion, Becoming a United States Marine. Congrats again to you and your son and Semper Fidelis.
Thanks for the welcome and good thoughts
This has been his dream

dhuntington
04-18-11, 10:05 PM
MOS 0321
Semper Fi

My son shipped today as well! We got "the call" at about 2200 which was about 3 hours sooner than we expected. I was at work, so his mother took it. She and my daughter are pretty upset. But as a former Marine, I'm feeling pretty good right now!!! Oorah!

NCdad
04-19-11, 06:03 AM
My son shipped today as well! We got "the call" at about 2200 which was about 3 hours sooner than we expected. I was at work, so his mother took it. She and my daughter are pretty upset. But as a former Marine, I'm feeling pretty good right now!!! Oorah!
Good luck to your son and thank you for your service!!!

Pinstriper
04-19-11, 10:16 PM
Welcome, NC Dad, I know you're proud!

NCdad
04-21-11, 08:22 AM
Welcome, NC Dad, I know you're proud!
Thanks Pinstriper my son is in Delta Co We waiting on postcard so I start sending letters

Pinstriper
04-21-11, 11:29 AM
Thanks Pinstriper my son is in Delta Co We waiting on postcard so I start sending letters

One of the things I remember my Son saying is "we are known as 'Drilling Delta" According to him they spent most free time doing Drill and I'll admit, they were sharp. I think we swamped ours with letters, I started writing about the time mine left. I had a lot more time to write than they did, and it helped a bit when we sent simple things as in pre addressed and stamped envelopes. Even sent a few letters as a questionaries where all he did was answer...those wound up with some humorous answers.

NCdad
04-22-11, 05:29 AM
One of the things I remember my Son saying is "we are known as 'Drilling Delta" According to him they spent most free time doing Drill and I'll admit, they were sharp. I think we swamped ours with letters, I started writing about the time mine left. I had a lot more time to write than they did, and it helped a bit when we sent simple things as in pre addressed and stamped envelopes. Even sent a few letters as a questionaries where all he did was answer...those wound up with some humorous answers.
Thanks Pinstriper
I already have 3 letters written and like the idea of the questionnaire- I see you son is deployed - I will keep him in my thoughts !!!

MunkyVsRobot
04-23-11, 07:53 PM

No disrespect intended sir but remember there are no former Marines.

dhuntington
04-23-11, 10:53 PM
No disrespect intended sir but remember there are no former Marines.

I'm pretty sure there are former Marines. There are no "ex" Marines.

Lisa 23
04-23-11, 11:29 PM
I'm pretty sure there are former Marines. There are no "ex" Marines.

It’s Official. Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

Marines, listen up! The Commandant has spoken!!!! No more "former" Marines!!

A quote from the Commandant, General James F. Amos:

"A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago - there's no such thing as a former Marine. You're a Marine, just in a different uniform and you're in a different phase of your life. But you'll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There's no such thing as a former Marine."

The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James F. Amos

http://www.grunt.com/corps/uploads/sized/corps/uploads/stories/lcpl_purschwitz-200x300.jpg (http://www.grunt.com/corps/uploads/stories/lcpl_purschwitz.jpg)

dhuntington
04-24-11, 06:56 AM
It’s Official. Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

Marines, listen up! The Commandant has spoken!!!! No more "former" Marines!!

A quote from the Commandant, General James F. Amos:

"A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago - there's no such thing as a former Marine. You're a Marine, just in a different uniform and you're in a different phase of your life. But you'll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There's no such thing as a former Marine."

The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James F. Amos

http://www.grunt.com/corps/uploads/sized/corps/uploads/stories/lcpl_purschwitz-200x300.jpg (http://www.grunt.com/corps/uploads/stories/lcpl_purschwitz.jpg)

Well, then I guess somebody owes me 28 years of back pay! :p:banana:

SemperFiMom
04-29-11, 08:57 PM

Your wife and daughter may be upset for a while :( I cried over my son for the first 5 weeks of Boot Camp. Then I started up again, around week 9 when I realized The Crucible was coming up.

NCdad
05-05-11, 07:12 AM
We have received 3 letters so far from our recruit. He seems to be in High spirits and adjusting well. We are counting down the days till graduation Delta Co Plt 1048

Yonkers
05-06-11, 11:53 AM
Well, then I guess somebody owes me 28 years of back pay! :p:banana:

Thank you for that... I started laughing uncontrollably and people looked at me weird in the liberty center :D

pastnomad
05-09-11, 11:23 AM
My son is about half way through his boot camp @ Parris Island. We have seen a lot of changes in his letters since the beginning. We are very proud of him and all of his platoon mates!
Ooh Rah!!!

MarineDAD92
05-13-11, 02:07 PM
I can't say enough good things about graduation, our son graduated in January and is was freakin cold, but we didn't care one bit.

If you all haven't made reservations yet, do it now. We went through VRBO and rented a nice house for 3 nights so the whole family could stay together. It ended up being cheaper too.

There is lot's of advice for Family Day and Graduation out there on the parents sites, so I won't dwell on it too much aside from this:

There are a couple times when you are not going to want to be holding a camera. The first is when your new Marine enters the all-weather facility on family day. Let someone else take the pictures and you just soak up the moment. The second is on grad day, when they all march on to the parade deck and do the left face. You won't want to miss the sight of 500+\- Marines executing this with precision.

Good luck to you and your recruits!

Cpl Heglar
05-13-11, 02:33 PM
Hey Dad,

When I graduated I was the only one in the platoon that did not utilize bug juice. My fellow recruits told the Drill Intructors on me. I told them I did not want to smell like crap around my family. Big mistake! I had sand fleas crawling up one side of my nose and down the other. Sand fleas in my ears and all over my arms and scalp. The DI's threatened to keep me on the island if I killed 1 flea or flinched any at all. By then I had enough discipline not to move. I beleive if a bomb would have hit the parade deck I would have still been standing at attention.

My father asked me if I was broken out or did I have a rash. I responded no those are bites and hugged everyone and took them out for scallops and prime rib. My check out of boot was 864.00 dollars lot of money in 86!

Cpl Kevin D. Heglar
USMC

JaysProudDad
05-13-11, 04:05 PM
CONGRATS NC DAD! My son graduated from Parris Island MCRD on Oct. 22, 2010. I think I know how you must feel now and the mixture of pride and concern is unique to say the least! Your main part in this now is to keep the letters coming! Write as much as you can and make sure your message is always supportive and encouraging even if he sends you a letter that might express a little doubt or pain. Some, not all recruits go through that phase and most come out of it eventually, just keep it upbeat and leave out the "we miss you so much, your auntie cries every night" stuff and " don't worry if you get dropped we still love you" stuff.

What I did was got a copy of his training matrix (recruitparents.com has the link)and used that to gauge my questions and let him know I was following his training and always passed along my belief in his ability to become a Marine and there was always a purpose behind every aspect of his training and that it was important even if he didn't know it yet!

(I know you probably have every intention of being supportive in your letter writing and I'm just letting you know this from my experience, thats all. The other point that goes along with this is be careful who you let write him too (like ex-girlfriends, etc..)

ALL THE BEST TO YOUR RECRUIT!!

MarineDAD92
05-13-11, 04:28 PM
Cpl Heglar,

Yeah, kinda glad all we had was the cold. The sand fleas were pretty minimal during my sons boot. They had some really cold weather for the crucible though. Scallops and prime rib....nice. We had a kitchen full of various leftovers from pizza to chinese....I think my son ate most of it.

Letters:

If you receive a "homesick" letter, chances are it will be written friday or saturday. That's when the first and second phase recruits see all the families around for graduation and it gets to some of them a little bit. By 3rd phase they are just ready to graduate and the letters are all pretty positive.

Funny, I kinda miss the letters (writing and receiving). Texting is so impersonal but more immediate. I also know LESS of what is going on with him now than I did in boot camp. Opsec and all that stuff.

NCdad
05-24-11, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Jaysprouddad
My recruit finished Phase one yesterday and we have been getting positive letters from him once a week. We are counting the days. I write 2 or 3 times a week updating him with Sports scores of teams he follows. And follow the matrix as you suggested to keep a fresh set of questions ready. He has lost 12 lbs since arriving but states he is in the best shape he has ever been in. I keep it positive and include Marine quotes I have found online. Thanks for the support on HERE!!!!!:flag:

CONGRATS NC DAD! My son graduated from Parris Island MCRD on Oct. 22, 2010. I think I know how you must feel now and the mixture of pride and concern is unique to say the least! Your main part in this now is to keep the letters coming! Write as much as you can and make sure your message is always supportive and encouraging even if he sends you a letter that might express a little doubt or pain. Some, not all recruits go through that phase and most come out of it eventually, just keep it upbeat and leave out the "we miss you so much, your auntie cries every night" stuff and " don't worry if you get dropped we still love you" stuff.

What I did was got a copy of his training matrix (recruitparents.com has the link)and used that to gauge my questions and let him know I was following his training and always passed along my belief in his ability to become a Marine and there was always a purpose behind every aspect of his training and that it was important even if he didn't know it yet!

(I know you probably have every intention of being supportive in your letter writing and I'm just letting you know this from my experience, thats all. The other point that goes along with this is be careful who you let write him too (like ex-girlfriends, etc..)

ALL THE BEST TO YOUR RECRUIT!!

NCdad
07-02-11, 07:01 AM
Phone RINGS tonight Hello DAD from the other end (PI SC) I got a real good CFT score so I get a 5 minute phone Call!!!! My recruit sounded good and excited said everything is going great and looking forward to Graduation and seeing us
He said they were handed out graduation packs to mail home today so they are on the way 1048
He said he bought Ticket for SOI WEST where he is heading after Boot. He sounded hoarse BUT Really up beat!!!! Made His Mom's and my evening.

They embark on Crucible next week. Graduation July 15th

Apache
07-02-11, 08:18 AM
Welcome aboard NC Dad

MarineDAD92
07-02-11, 08:29 AM
What a great way to kick off the 4th of July weekend! Best of luck to him on the Crucible.

chulaivet1966
07-02-11, 08:59 AM
Phone RINGS tonight Hello DAD from the other end (PI SC) I got a real good CFT score so I get a 5 minute phone Call!!!! My recruit sounded good and excited said everything is going great and looking forward to Graduation and seeing us
He said they were handed out graduation packs to mail home today so they are on the way 1048
He said he bought Ticket for SOI WEST where he is heading after Boot. He sounded hoarse BUT Really up beat!!!! Made His Mom's and my evening.

Very cool...best to your son and earning The Title.
I would guess you're quite a proud father.:);)
Carry on...

Brittany0614
07-02-11, 10:49 AM

Congratulations on the phone call! Have a happy Fourth!

Tennessee Top
07-02-11, 05:32 PM

We were just at MCRD PI last month for Family Day/graduation. Everything/everybody we saw were extremely impressive.

PM me if you have any specific questions about the schedule of events, etc; will be glad to help if I can.

NCdad
07-02-11, 06:12 PM
Thanks all for the replies- we are heading down to Beaufort Wednesday the 13th getting up early Thurs for Moto run and bring a requested picnic lunch for my son

foreverproud
07-03-11, 01:08 AM
NCDad ...

You all have a wonderful Family and Graduation Day! Best wishes and congratulations to your son!

JaysProudDad
07-05-11, 04:13 PM
NCdad, enjoy the whole graduation experience!
If I can give you a little tip for your Family Day picnic, go to Elliot Beach.
It is an out of the way picnic area that will give you and your family a quiet way to enjoy the moment (the eateries on PI will have you waiting on line which wastes time for catching up, etc..). If you want to have your lunch catered look up Island Butlers or BBQ Joes. If you call and pre-order they will meet you at Elliot Beach with your picnic lunch.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion. We did that and we were so glad we did because it really felt like a private time for us and the secluded spot fit the bill nicely!

All my best to your new Marine on that day and always!

NCdad
07-05-11, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion- I had heard about Elliot beach and was going to head there -

NCdad, enjoy the whole graduation experience!
If I can give you a little tip for your Family Day picnic, go to Elliot Beach.
It is an out of the way picnic area that will give you and your family a quiet way to enjoy the moment (the eateries on PI will have you waiting on line which wastes time for catching up, etc..). If you want to have your lunch catered look up Island Butlers or BBQ Joes. If you call and pre-order they will meet you at Elliot Beach with your picnic lunch.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion. We did that and we were so glad we did because it really felt like a private time for us and the secluded spot fit the bill nicely!

All my best to your new Marine on that day and always!

NCdad
07-16-11, 07:33 AM
Just back from Graduation - We have a MARINE

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-rcTcnFn/0/M/i-rcTcnFn-M.jpg
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-VNhXhVV/0/M/i-VNhXhVV-M.jpg
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-z7mK4qF/0/M/i-z7mK4qF-M.jpg

Cariessa
07-16-11, 08:40 AM
This brought tears to my eyes like so many things seem to do since my son shipped out for San Diego MCRD June 20. Congrats!! I know how proud you must be. I can't wait until September 16 graduation!!! (And September 9 EGA ceremony when I can officially call myself a Marine Mom!)

Lisa 23
07-16-11, 09:37 AM
OUTSTANDNG pics of your son, NCDad.....and congrats on your son becoming a Marine! :usmc:

chulaivet1966
07-16-11, 10:01 AM
NCdad...

Excellent.:thumbup:
Enjoy your catch up time and may he set an outstanding example as a U.S. Marine.

Semper Fidelis

Carry on....

JaysProudDad
07-17-11, 08:01 AM
CONGRATULATIONS to your new Marine and you and your family at this very proud moment in his USMC career!!

MarineDAD92
07-17-11, 08:08 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy you time with him.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-19-11, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the Marine Corps family! OUTstanding!

Old Marine
07-19-11, 09:18 PM
ConGrats NCDad.

Not only did he graduate, but he graduated a PFC. Tell him this old D.I. is proud of him.:evilgrin: