PDA

View Full Version : 1st FSSG goes home

thedrifter
10-03-03, 06:24 AM
1st FSSG goes home
Submitted by: 1st Force Service Support Group
Story Identification Number: 20031015350
Story by Sgt. Matthew Miller

CAMP COMMANDO, Kuwait (October 1, 2003) -- Combat Service Support Group-11, the last remaining element of 1st Force Service Support Group that participated in the liberation of the Iraqi people, is scheduled to return to the United States soon.

The transfer of authority to the multi-national forces in An Najaf, Iraq at the end of September marked the end of the Marine Corps' role in its final phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Combat Service Support Companies 117 and 102 retrograded from Iraq to Kuwait and prepared to head home in early October.

While the Marines are happy to be going home, they can't just get on a plane and head out without making sure all the equipment also makes it back.

"We still have to make sure all the equipment gets to the right places while at the same time coordinating the departure of the individual Marines," said Col. Charles Hudson, Combat Service Support Group-11 commander. "All the remaining MPF (Maritime Prepositioning Force) equipment gets turned into the Special Purpose MAGTF (Marine Air-Ground Task Force). Organic equipment needs to go back to Southern California in order to reconstitute I MEF forces. So far the equipment turn-in has gone very smooth."

"As the units retrograde out of Iraq, they get a timeline of seven to ten days when they prepare their gear for redeployment," said Chief Warrant Officer 2 Michael Young, CSSG-11 Embark Officer. "During that time they have to organize, wash and take it to staging areas so it can be embarked on either an MPF ship or a (MEF ship)."

Even though embarking equipment takes a lot of time and energy, the command is eager to get Marines home quickly.

"My goal is to get everyone home as soon as possible," Hudson said. "If someone is not needed to make sure the gear is getting loaded correctly, I want them on a plane to go home."

"It's nice to finally be going home, but I feel happier for the Marines," said Maj. Andrew Bergen, CSSC-117 Commanding Officer. "They've been going 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I can't be prouder of this group of Marines. They worked so hard and got so much experience out here. They are well trained from their experiences out here and that will be a great asset to train other Marines back at Camp Pendleton."

Experiences that the Marines of 1st FSSG had gotten in Iraq was never trained for or even imagined before this deployment. The expeditionary support force checked off several first-time feats while supporting I Marine Expeditionary Force. Things like supporting combat forces more than 600 miles inland, laying out more than 90 miles of fuel line, and the deployment of a new Forward Resuscitative Surgery System, a small, lightweight, easily transportable system that brings the operating room closer to the front lines of combat than it has been before.

Brigadier General Richard S. Kramlich, 1st FSSG Commanding General, recognized these and other feats during a visit in early August, shortly after he had assumed control of the command.

"They pushed the envelope of logistics. They traversed and supported a division that was moving at a rapid pace over terrible terrain, over tremendous distances, and it's a mission that is not traditionally within the FSSG's doctrine. But this FSSG found a way to do what the division asked of them, and provided that support. It was a true MAGTF success."

Marines recognize and appreciate the experience they've gained through combat also, experience that is invaluable to themselves, their job fields and, most importantly, the Marines they will be leading and preparing for future conflicts.

"I'm looking forward to teaching the new guys about the capabilities of (heavy equipment)," said Cpl. Jason Weisenburg, HE operator, landing support section, CSSC-117. "Having been out here, I will be able to teach them more about how HE works with Motor-T than I would if I wasn't out here. I've learned a lot from guys from other MOS's that I've worked with out here.

"I'm also looking forward to having a platoon when I get back," said the 22-year-old native of Portland Ore. "I've been a corporal for nine months now and not had a platoon yet. I've only had one Marine out here. I've gotten a lot of knowledge and experience out here that I could teach them."

Along with the experience and knowledge, the Marines will be bringing a myriad of qualities and feelings back with them.

"This gave me a sense of pride," said Cpl. Craig Rinehart, military policeman, CSSC-102. "All the stuff I learned before I came out here really prepared me for what I had to do out here and apply it. I liked being able to do what I trained for. It gave me a great sense of satisfaction."

While they are excited about taking back what they learned out here, there are things the Marines are going to miss about their temporary home away from home.

"The thing I am going to miss the most is the excitement of not knowing what's around the next corner," said Rinehart, a 21-year-old native of Pennsburg, Pa. "Having to be on your toes, not just because you're told to, but because your life depends on it, as well as the Marines to your left and right."

"I am going to miss the brotherhood of some of the guys out here," said Weisenburg. "Knowing that you can rely on someone out here, all my friends. It's strange how close you get to the other Marines out here.

"One night a guy woke me up at two in the morning to tell me that he just talked to his wife and found out that she bought him a pick-up truck. Normally I would have been mad at being woken up in the middle of the night just to be told that, but instead I was really happy for him."

Regardless of what they might miss from their deployment to Kuwait and Iraq, it doesn't detract from the joyous feeling that Marines get when they realize how close they are to coming home. Some will be seeing their newborn children for the first time, others will be returning to parents, siblings, spouses and children that went through the separation from start to finish. Whatever the case, 1st FSSG Fwd is going home, mission accomplished.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200310164837/$file/colorslowres.jpg

The colors are retired September 29 at Camp Iwo Jima, Kuwait, the last 1st Force Service Support Group camp to close. Colonel Charles Hudson, commander, Combat Service Support Group-11 (center) and remaining members of his staff pay thier respects as the flag is lowered for the final time.
Photo by: 1st Lt. Sally Falco

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/390B75BC0332EB8285256DB20031CA61?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: