PDA

View Full Version : Combat Engineer/Division side

AdamI10
12-02-10, 07:37 AM
Im interested in the mos 1731 combat engineer. Really for this one thing ive heard about it. Ive read that there are 3 sides to this mos but Division is the only one that appeals to me seeing how they get attachted to infantry units and support thr 03's directly.

I also know that you can only sign up in the field 17xx correct? so what are the chances i can get combat engineer with division?

03Mike
12-02-10, 08:32 AM
Think you got your numbers scrambled - 1371 is the combat engineer MOS designator.

As a 13XX would be classified as an "Engineer, Construction, Equipment" Marine - there are a lot of jobs under this MOS, but they basically break down into building stuff, repairing/fixing stuff, or blowing stuff up (I know that's rather over simplified, but work with me here).

Combat Engineers can be assigned to units other than an infantry division. That being said, the combat engineers that I had the pleasure to have attached to my infantry units were, by and large, very professional and great Marines. We affectionately referred to them as "grunts with more gear".

I'll have to defer to someone else about the odds that you go in on a 13XX contract and end up in the Combat Engineer Battalion.

DontTreadOnMe
12-02-10, 05:03 PM
Im interested in the mos 1731 combat engineer. Really for this one thing ive heard about it. Ive read that there are 3 sides to this mos but Division is the only one that appeals to me seeing how they get attachted to infantry units and support thr 03's directly.

I also know that you can only sign up in the field 17xx correct? so what are the chances i can get combat engineer with division?

I'm not a 1371, I'm an 1141 but I'm in a 2D Combat Engineer Battalion in 2 Marine Division so I'm familiar with the 13xx side. The chances that you will go to Division is a good chance if your a 1371 but its not a promise. Remember the 13xx field is very vast with everything from heavy equipment operators to mechanics, welders and your combat engineers, you go where the corps needs you but duty stations arent forever. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask or pm.

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-02-10, 05:59 PM
I know a dude in 1st CEB, he says the job is cool, they get to blow stuff up. But he also says his leadership is all former DI's who make them all have shaved heads like in boot and wrong answers earns you suicide runs...

The big green weenie is everywhere...