PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

nicetie
12-02-10, 02:11 AM
Howdy! Since I can't really think of a good way to start this post, I'll just jump right in.
I have been in the Naval ROTC for the past two years and my ultimate goal is to fly helos for the Marines. Unfortunately I did not receive a scholarship and due to my huge amount of educational debt and my strong desire to be one of the "Few and the Proud" I left school and enlisted in September. My questions are:
When I signed the contract at MEPS, it had me as an E-1 and in the Reserves. I am supposed to be an E-2 active duty. It also had me in some generic MOS, I don't recall which one and I can't find my contract at the moment but I believe it was 03 something. My recruiter said that was just so that I could be in DEP and that the real contract would come later. I'm now wondering if this is legit because I signed that contract in October and I still haven't been given a new contract and it is now December.
My other question is:
How difficult will it be for me to finish college while I am active duty as a cryptolinguist (I have 1.5 years remaining), and how difficult will it be for me to commission and get a flight school slot from this MOS?

DrZ
12-02-10, 07:28 AM
I would suggest you google Marine OSO and read. I found it was a pain in the butt to attempt to complete university while active. Too much going on and being sent to too many places. Talk to your local OSO. Until you sign the final contract and swear in.... you can walk away at any time. If you want to be an Officer of Marines, you are not approaching it correctly. Get in touch with the OSO and go from there.

Let us know what you decide.

awbrown1462
12-02-10, 08:09 AM
My step son was taking classes while in the 82nd Airborne he got out this year and is now in St. Johns he went there as a JR. so you can take classes while in but it will be hard the Marines always comes first

03Mike
12-02-10, 08:38 AM
How difficult is it to take college classes on active duty? Depends on your MOS and duty station, but I'd say that it is, at best, difficult during your first enlistment - especially the first two years.

The best way to become an Officer of Marines is to start the process while you are in college. Dr. Z is right on the money - talk to an OSO before you do anything else.

Going from the enlisted ranks to the officer ranks while on active duty is extremely competitive. For that matter, going from college to the officer ranks is very competitive these days too.

nicetie
12-03-10, 05:36 AM
Well I tried doing the NROTC while I was in college but I was never awarded a scholarship for one reason or another, and in talking to the local OSO, I am not competitive enough for PLC. So I am left with enlisting as my only option as far as I can tell.

Phantom Blooper
12-03-10, 06:42 AM
I am not competitive enough for PLC.

I would suggest that you change your mindset....

Whether or not you go through some type of program to become an officer....or if you opt to be enlisted.....

In your MOS....schools....fleet....wing....active duty....or reserve.....
you will be competing against your fellow Marines.....

Who has the best Pro&Cons....who has the best cutting score.....who is going to be augumented....who is going to get promoted....who is going to be eligible and recommended for reenlistment...schools....or program.

There are allot of variables to consider.....

The Marine Corps is based on Teamwork....however individual performance....attitude....and competitiveness with your peers determines whether or not....you do a hitch or you retire and what rank....and achievements you make over your tour of duty.

Individual motivation is a virtue!