PDA

View Full Version : Can you have your own furniture in the barracks?

FutureMarine132
12-01-10, 09:55 PM
Say a custom desk?

thewookie
12-01-10, 10:10 PM
Say a custom desk?

As long as it's clean on field day.... but, it's not like you are going to have your own room.

FutureMarine132
12-01-10, 11:40 PM
As long as it's clean on field day.... but, it's not like you are going to have your own room.
Just want to build a custom desk so I can lock up my desktop PC without unplugging everything.

dizark
12-01-10, 11:59 PM
Just want to build a custom desk so I can lock up my desktop PC without unplugging everything.

I know in comm school and here in the fleet, we have furniture called Secretaries. You could put your computer, tv, game systems, etc in them and lock them up and they have power strips inside to plug everything in.

thewookie
12-02-10, 07:07 AM

Why not a laptop? Depending on your MOS -- you might move a lot, and having a computer that is portable is a big benefit.

Unless you are a gamer and you need the horsepower under the hood....

DrZ
12-02-10, 07:17 AM
Wookie,
These days...even some of the laptops have the horsepower. Check out Alienware Computers and read the specs on those laptops. Not only do you get a gamer machine but your very own personal space heater! lol.

Old Marine
12-02-10, 10:32 AM
Just run over to Supply and have them issue you a field desk. They are really nice & fold up and have drawers and lots of room for a PC. If the Marine Corps still has this item. Might have left the Corps with mess duty and lots of other things.

FutureMarine132
12-02-10, 02:16 PM
Much rather have a desktop. The barracks seem so small I couldnt even see me fitting a desk there. Would you be able to choose not to have a wall locker to make space?

IronKnee
12-02-10, 02:52 PM
keep in mind that having a desktop may be a bit inconvenient. nothing stopping you from having one but generally unless you're playing the very newest game on the market there is little a desktop can do that you can't accomplish with a specialized laptop.

No idea if you'll be allowed to have your own furniture. I've known guys that were able to, I've known guys that couldn't even move the furniture they already had in their room without permission. Depends on the station, I assume.

Lisa 23
12-02-10, 03:21 PM
Much rather have a desktop. The barracks seem so small I couldnt even see me fitting a desk there. Would you be able to choose not to have a wall locker to make space?

And with no wall locker, just where do you plan on putting your uniforms and civilian clothing....rolled up in a ball somewhere?

FutureMarine132
12-02-10, 03:24 PM
I don't know. It really isnt a big deal to me at all was just curious. I'm a WoWhead so I was just wondering if I could play during my enlistment or not.

Phantom Blooper
12-02-10, 03:57 PM
Don't be WoWhead about it....eventually you can get back in the game....

All the additional perks and furniture that you have....if you are deployed...will have to be sold...stored or shipped home....if you can't take it with you....

Just do be WoWhead...everything will work out!

Old Marine
12-02-10, 08:16 PM
What the hell is a WoWhead? Sounds like someone who has lice in their hair.

Phantom Blooper
12-02-10, 08:34 PM
What the hell is a WoWhead?

Damifino.....

I was wowhead about it earlier....and wundering...but now I am just weaving.....

But I do really think it is a online game.....

If that is the case he can catch up when he hits the fleet....

What I am really wundering about is the technology generation gap with computers and phones that do everything...and the human addiction...

What did we do for fun before the advent of tote around phones and computers.....where you can check your email in formation with a press of a few buttons...amazing......

IronKnee
12-02-10, 09:20 PM
What the hell is a WoWhead? Sounds like someone who has lice in their hair.

someone who plays a lot of world of warcraft

Beltayn
12-03-10, 12:16 PM
It depends on your sncos who inspect you for field day. Some like every room in the barracks to look exactly the same with the same layout and bedding even. Some don't care as long as it is clean and organized and within reason. Some places Marines have couches and sofa chairs or desks or big screen tvs or their own carpets. Whatever makes them feel at home.
It all depends on your chain of command and what they like.

Personally, for gaming, I'd recommend getting a high end laptop anyway.

Matlock09
12-04-10, 09:29 PM
Dont worry about locking up your desktop PC, most thieves will only be interested in your laptop. I have mine neatly on the floor beside the secretary and most people dont know its a PC.

Also dont worry about having time to play WoW, you will lose your drive to play