PDA

View Full Version : Can I have a laptop at SOI?

Dustin Griffith
12-01-10, 08:54 PM
Ive heard mixed things when I was a bootcamp. Can I take a laptop and use it in the house on freetime/weekends?

Thanks, Pvt Griffith

Sgt Leprechaun
12-01-10, 11:43 PM
Are you a Marine?

Profile is a tad confusing....

Dustin Griffith
12-02-10, 12:07 AM
Yes sir, Finished bootcamp nov 24th

Quinbo
12-02-10, 12:51 AM
If the history holds tru to form .... I saw 40 lb ghetto blasters magically dissappear during my time at ITS in the 80's. When looking for a plug in the squad bays you will find uhhh 2 and one of them already has a room fan plugged into it. You'll survive without your computer for a couple months.

SlingerDun
12-02-10, 12:57 AM
If the history holds tru to form .... I saw 40 lb ghetto blasters......accessorized with a Samsonite carry-on satchel loaded with cassette tapes and 9 spare D cells, head cleaner, head phones etc...

Quinbo
12-02-10, 01:32 AM
...accessorized with a Samsonite carry-on satchel loaded with cassette tapes and 9 spare D cells, head cleaner, head phones etc...

And don't forget the K-mart fall-apart goof proof special fold away cardboard stereo stand you can set up so everyone else can listen and enjoy your music with you.

SlingerDun
12-02-10, 05:31 AM
heheheh word! The alterna TV dinner tray! dude they're totally retro trendy h'yere bouts! Like those early 70's Ford Galaxy and LTD schooners that broke ass tye dyes acquire and try to pass off as multi-culti-neo-cool by plastering it with Free Tibet and Hope and Change Obama/Biden stickers; Damn The Corps of Engineers, Visualize Whirled Peas..

DrZ
12-02-10, 07:36 AM
Focus on learning your job. The computer will just be another thing to worry about and you will have plenty on your mind. Call your lady on your cell.... text her.... hell send her pix mail but leave the computer at home. You will get to your duty station soon enough and then you MAY have time to worry if your laptop is going to grow legs and walk away.

martinj
12-02-10, 09:04 AM
Bring your laptop just be smart about it you won't be able to use it during the work week but you can use it on the weekends.

Vandrel
12-02-10, 11:46 AM
It's SOI.... you won't have time to sit on a laptop.

Furthermore, you can't always trust everyone around you..... people DO steal. Save your laptop for the fleet when you are done with SOI.

IronKnee
12-02-10, 02:04 PM
You can but I wouldn't recommend it. I brought mind because we all knew we'd be sitting around for at least a month before training because the school was backed up. If you're on the west coast you'll have a few hours on the weekends but depending on the company you'll probably have to turn all electronics in on Sunday to be put in a locked area.

If you're worried about it growing legs and walking away, might want to wait. Tends to happen. Also, don't be the one to keep your phone or dip or other contraband when told to turn it in and screw the rest of your platoon.

and don't buy a laptop at the mcx. ripoffs++

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-02-10, 05:56 PM
Boot Camp:

"Marines never lie, cheat, or steal..."

3 Months Later, SOI West:

"Lock your sh*t up, Marines will steal everything you own..."

SlingerDun
12-02-10, 07:11 PM
Where's the mystery? A thief will not stop stealing just because somebody Tell's him/her it's wrong.

A lock will keep an honest man honest and a thief busy