PDA

View Full Version : What to know before hand.

EastPhilly
12-01-10, 04:14 PM
A couple questions I have. I know I could search for some of this stuff, but I figured answers may differ depending on each person asking.

About me:
- Current college student (senior)
- Thinking about joining the Marines within the next year
- Some shooting experience (Friends from military put me through drills and taught me some basics, but it was only a few sessions and not too in depth.)

Questions:
- Even if I do not wind up joining the marines, I am pretty sure I will join some branch of the military, but I want to train myself as if I am planning on joining the Marines. What are some good things to start doing?
I know run a lot, do good core work, etc... but what are some specifics I can do? I looked at videos of the PFT and started doing some similar exercises (doing pull-ups more, lifting 30+lb weight over my head for multiple reps (ammo can lift). I am working on getting my run time down. Today I clocked myself as doing 1 mile in 7 minutes flat and that is after not running in about a month at least not at a fast pace). My 3 mile is around 28 mins, but I hope to get that down as well. For pull-ups, I can do 15 straight (palm in), but I am try the 20 pull-up challenge thing to gt that up too. lol. Only time will tell how that will work out. I am a practitioner of Parkour, so i will continue to do that to help with O Course stuff.

- What can I take with me to BC? I know the usual "the clothes on your back and your paperwork), but can I take things like an address book, running shoes, shower accessories? Things so I will not have to use the PX to get and not get money taken out of my account?

- What advice would you give me for dealing with family and telling them about my idea of joining? Most of my family trusts me and will support my decision, but many think I will go straight to war and die. Anything you can tell me so I can ease their anxiety?

- I am interested in officers training. I will have a college degree in BioPsychology (hopefully above a 3.0GPA haha). I know if I can I would like to try this training, but is officers training generally only for people who are willing to commit to the military as a career? I was hoping to do it for a tops of 6 years and then becoming a police officer afterwards.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I appreciate any honest answers, even if you just say "I don't specifically know, but...".

Also, is there any way to subscribe to a thread to get emails about it, or if I post in it will I be notified of any further responses? Each forum I frequent uses a different format for that.

EastPhilly
12-01-10, 04:26 PM
I just remembered something else I wanted to ask.
Are there any books or manuals that would be suggested reading for before I get there so I can be ready and at my best?

IronKnee
12-01-10, 06:59 PM
Keep working on the running, especially if you want to go to the dark side. One common theme every officer has told me about OCS is that they run a lot. A lot. A WHOLE LOT.

Keep running.

They will issue (read: sell) you running shoes when you get there along with everything else. You don't get a choice in buying from the px, it's going to happen whether you like it or not. You'll be buying stuff you'll never use, you'll be buying stuff that the drill instructor intends on breaking, you'll be buying stuff that they want to save for their next cycle. Suck it up, you're not coming home with any significant amount of money.

As for your family that's afraid you'll die, inform them that the majority of the military - even the Marine Corps - is logistical support and a small fraction of the enlisted ranks actually makes enemy contact. Those that do generally do so often and kick serious ass but most Marines won't.

As for reading, perusing some general history of the Corps will do you well but don't go in there acting like you know. They won't care how much you knew beforehand, they'll care whether or not you retain the specific information they teach you in the method they teach you. The Marine Corps was not created on November 10th, it was created on 10 November. :p That kind of thing.

EastPhilly
12-01-10, 08:09 PM
They will issue (read: sell) you running shoes when you get there along with everything else. You don't get a choice in buying from the px, it's going to happen whether you like it or not. You'll be buying stuff you'll never use, you'll be buying stuff that the drill instructor intends on breaking, you'll be buying stuff that they want to save for their next cycle. Suck it up, you're not coming home with any significant amount of money.

Thanks. Would they even not let me bring an address book so that I can write letters while there?

Marine1011
12-01-10, 08:10 PM
Direct all your questions to IronKnee. He is the light.

IronKnee
12-01-10, 08:14 PM
Thanks. Would they even not let me bring an address book so that I can write letters while there?

Yes, you'll get to keep a few small personal items. I just wrote addresses down on a couple sheets of paper and folded them up in my wallet.

Though fyi: write your letters quickly. You will be more successful if you use your square away time to actually square away for the next day. After the first few weeks a lot of guys would only write letters on sunday. Some drill instructors like to see recruits preparing for the next day as opposed to writing letters every day.

DontTreadOnMe
12-01-10, 08:15 PM
An address book should be acceptable, for instance I brought my Bible to bootcamp and inside of it I had a folded paper with all addresses I needed. Your allowed such thing such as wedding rings and religious medals and or books.

Marine1011
12-01-10, 08:16 PM
I knew IRON would have an answer. He is the best. As he said elsewhere, he is here to help out people and save them from the BS, as he puts it, that others on this forum give in the name of advice.
We all owe Iron a tremendous debt.

Old Marine
12-01-10, 08:20 PM
Ignore anything ironknee says to you.

Anything you will need while at Recruit Training will be issued to you, including writing paper & envelopes.

DontTreadOnMe
12-01-10, 08:21 PM
I knew IRON would have an answer. He is the best. As he said elsewhere, he is here to help out people and save them from the BS, as he puts it, that others on this forum give in the name of advice.
We all owe Iron a tremendous debt.
We all know that you are ironknee cut the bull****

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-01-10, 08:29 PM
Best way to lower people's anxiety, is not dying.

So yeah, don't die, good luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-01-10, 11:42 PM
Sigh.

I'll give some advice...stop shooting. NOW. You've already picked up a crapton of bad habits that will have to be broken. Don't try and out train yourself.

Get a current 'Guidebook for Marines'. Everything (pretty much) you need to know about Recruit training is contained in there. It'll help.

EastPhilly
12-02-10, 03:10 PM
Sigh.

I'll give some advice...stop shooting. NOW. You've already picked up a crapton of bad habits that will have to be broken. Don't try and out train yourself.

Get a current 'Guidebook for Marines'. Everything (pretty much) you need to know about Recruit training is contained in there. It'll help.

I haven't been shooting in a while, I just meant, by that statement, that I have shot guns (AR-15 included) and I am familiar with them enough that shooting them won't really surprise me as much as people who have never shot a gun before. I am familiar with how to shoot within the breathing and heartbeats, though actually being in the training I would have to redefine a lot and learn a lot more.

GyC
12-02-10, 05:46 PM
All your questions that you have will be answered once you contact a Recruiter. I give briefs 25 times a month on what you can take, what you can't, what it will be like the first few weeks,.... ETC... With a degree, you will be directed to an OSO, Officer Selection Office... Highly competitive, so the better prepared you are physically, the more competitive you will be... Your knowledge of weapons is not important right now, your preparation is... Mental and physical... As far as family concerns, if you can't handle them, we are equipped to do so... The best we do is put them at ease... I always throw out statistics, but that's just me... My advice, seek out your OSO office and talk with them, they'll start working with you pretty quickly, provided you are qualified... S/F

EastPhilly
12-02-10, 11:44 PM
All your questions that you have will be answered once you contact a Recruiter. I give briefs 25 times a month on what you can take, what you can't, what it will be like the first few weeks,.... ETC... With a degree, you will be directed to an OSO, Officer Selection Office... Highly competitive, so the better prepared you are physically, the more competitive you will be... Your knowledge of weapons is not important right now, your preparation is... Mental and physical... As far as family concerns, if you can't handle them, we are equipped to do so... The best we do is put them at ease... I always throw out statistics, but that's just me... My advice, seek out your OSO office and talk with them, they'll start working with you pretty quickly, provided you are qualified... S/F

Ok, thanks. I plan on visiting an office over winter break. My big thing right now is finishing college and getting my degree. I plan on training myself for the next 6 months to possibly a year before actually signing up, but I'd like to get as much information as possible before making my final choice.

I guess there is no "pseudo-boot camp" that I can do over spring break to get ready or really see if I have what it takes, is there? haha. The best I'd be able to do is sign up for future service when I'm done college and do the weekend training they would give me for before hand.