PDA

View Full Version : Checking into duty station, need info

nrml1
11-30-10, 08:49 PM
Evening Marines!

I'm about to finish up MOS school here shortly and I already know my duty station. I get in on a Friday to check in. I am married and live very close to my duty station (45mins), any one know if I'll be able to sleep in my own bed that weekend? or will I need to be in BEQs? Also, as far as my 10 days (for moving because I'm married) how soon does one get those?

Thanks Marines, S/F

DJ860420
11-30-10, 09:07 PM
Are you moving closer or staying in the house you have now? The 10 days is not automatic. If you don't need it, you probably won't get it. Though that depends on the command, some don't care if you already have a house and will just give you 10 days for nothing. If you are moving and need a place your orders should have information on them telling you if you rate 10 days housing or not. If you do make sure you stay on base in the hotel, if not you need a letter from them telling you they do not have room. You pay out of pocket and get reimbursed later.

nrml1
11-30-10, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the response Sergeant. I dont plan on moving at all, at least not now. I was really just wanting the 10 days, figured if I rate it I may as well take it but if not then I'm good either way, just looking to see what to expect.

dizark
12-02-10, 12:02 AM
If you aren't moving or plan on looking for a house, they won't give you the 10 days. We have guys here on hawaii that have lived here for many years before the Marine Corps, and go home each night (although they live 5-10 minutes away), and each weekend. They still have a room they are expected to keep clean and squared away.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-02-10, 11:17 PM
Are you still a poolee? Need your profile fixed? LOL.

45 minutes, unless you are used to commuting, is going to be a pain in the arse eventually. May not seem like much now, but at '0-dark-thirty' it's going to be. Something to think about.

nrml1
12-04-10, 10:40 AM
haha yep Sergeant, I need my profile fixed I've msg'd several people but still no luck, I'm an E-2 I graduated Lead Series Kilo Co. back in Sept. Like I've mentioned before I'm in my late 20s, married for 6 years and have a child, I had a career before the corps so I know about commuting and such. I've also lived in San Diego since '04 so again I definitely know about commuting.

So far I've heard many different people tell me many different things as far as the 10 days, I guess I'll find out next week!

DJ860420
12-05-10, 09:36 AM
e. Travel to new permanent station area for the purpose of house
hunting for up to 10 days. Marines issued PCS orders to any location
where Government quarters will not be available, Marines authorized to
occupy non-Government quarters at their new permanent stations, or Marines
scheduled for restrictive tours who wish to move their dependents to a
designated place are eligible to request PTAD. PTAD for house hunting may
be used in conjunction with leave and liberty, but not with travel and
proceed time. If the Marine does not perform PTAD prior to detaching from
the old duty station, PTAD may be authorized by the commanding officer at
the new duty station after the Marine reports for duty. A period of PTAD
for house hunting may not exceed 10 total days including work days and
nonwork days. Marines separating or retiring are not eligible for PTAD
for house hunting under this PARAGRAPH, but may be eligible for transition
PTAD covered in PARAGRAPH 5005.

This is from the order cut and dry. The key word in that whole paragraph is REQUEST. It all depends truly upon your command.

nrml1
12-05-10, 04:56 PM
Very well, request I will do. I talked to my wife and we want to move, but what if we look for a place and end up not moving? I suppose there wouldn't be any repercussions other than that if I had to move in the future after that I'd have to use leave or something.

Thanks for the info Sergeant.

DJ860420
12-05-10, 05:34 PM
If you do move, please I repeat please do not be the PFC/Lance Corporal to try to live outside your means, and then be broke every week not even able to afford a haircut. You said you were older, but I have seen it with all ages. New PFC living in a 4 bedroom/3bath house with a brand new car in the garage eating ramen for every meal and having to shave your head because you can't afford a haircut is not the way to go.

nrml1
12-05-10, 05:39 PM
If you do move, please I repeat please do not be the PFC/Lance Corporal to try to live outside your means, and then be broke every week not even able to afford a haircut. You said you were older, but I have seen it with all ages. New PFC living in a 4 bedroom/3bath house with a brand new car in the garage eating ramen for every meal and having to shave your head because you can't afford a haircut is not the way to go.

Aye, aye Sergeant. I can guarantee you that won't be me.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-10, 05:49 PM
Fix'd ya!!!

You OWE me.

:)

Muhreen4Lyfe
12-06-10, 07:49 PM
Check in wearing ChAlphas, the lance who checks you in will sh*t brix

nrml1
12-09-10, 08:27 PM
Check in wearing ChAlphas, the lance who checks you in will sh*t brix

Can't do that, have too much pride in my uniform. Now if I could only find a map of Pendleton so I could find out where my unit is at! All I know is its off Mainside.

Fix'd ya!!!

You OWE me.

:)

lol thanks Sergeant!