PDA

View Full Version : Time in between deployments....?

ALF 87
11-30-10, 01:08 PM
How much time have each of you Marines that have been deployed had in between deployments? If you could say how long you were in or how long you have been in and how many deployments you have been on that would be good. I know that Marines typically get sent out for 7 months at a time but is there a minimum time you have until you can get deployed again? Thanks Marines.

Quinbo
11-30-10, 01:58 PM
After returning from 7 months in Desert Storm my unit had less than 30 days before we were sent on westpac.

Generally speaking there is about a year between UDP's but that has a lot of variables such as what type of unit you are in and the general op tempo of the MC.

Over the course of a 4 year contract you can plan on doing two deployments plus various and sundry month long training evolutions.

ALF 87
11-30-10, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, I know there are a lot of variables that go into it. I am just looking to get some past experiences from you Marines. :thumbup:

Phantom Blooper
11-30-10, 05:44 PM
It also depends on what type of pump you are going on...Med...WestPac...UNITAS.....and what the workup is for your MAU/MEU and battalion....and are you in the ground element or support.

The mission is critical....you can be on a sunny beach with your dogs to the sky and with a drink and other things in your hand and on your mind and you get word that liberty is secured...return to ship and the fleet full bird is diverting the group to a two month stay in an ocean blue....ready and waiting....

With out getting in the political side....I would venture to say that allot of hearts were broken and the Marines liberty mission was not completed and they were a training/liberty WESTPAC group of Marines and sailors are now sailing the ocean blue...somewhere around the Koreas....hurrying up and waiting!

Missions change....flexibility and adaption for workups and deployments is also critical.

Muhreen4Lyfe
11-30-10, 08:33 PM
Depends on what's going on in the world really.

Now it's SUPPOSED to be 7 deployed 14 garrison, because after the surge leadership was liek "lol, u mean we can't deploy our muhreens for 18 months and give em 7 back in the states?"

DJ860420
11-30-10, 09:15 PM
The biggest 2 factors would be MOS and duty station. My last unit one group of MOS's would deploy back to back. One of my buddies did 3 deployments in 3 years. I knew a lot of people who deployed like that. On the other hand, my shop kept getting new people so we only did 1 deployment then skip the next. Now I am at Parris Island so I won't deploy for probably 3 years.

dizark
12-02-10, 12:04 AM
Here in Hawaii, our division deploys a lot! I've heard the whole 7 months in country, 14 in garrison, but we rotate so often, we just got back from Afghanistan and within a year or less, we will be out again. Really just depends on your unit.

03Mike
12-02-10, 08:21 AM
Just because your are not deployed doesn't mean that you will spend the majority of your nights in your own bed (or a bed of your choice). There are work ups, training, and other missions. Optempo slows a little when you are CONUS, but not necessarily much.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-02-10, 11:15 PM
And pay particular attention to that LAST post. You'll spend more time 'away' from home in some regards when you are 'not deployed' than when you are. I realize that makes little 'sense' but think on it.

ALF 87
12-05-10, 08:41 PM
Thanks Marines, just trying to get a feel for what I have to look forward to

revleo
12-07-10, 01:13 AM
I was in a unit known by the Euphamism. As a Gun Squadron. Do not know if they still have them. But while I was with them. We had no leave. Only Liberty. We were an Alpha rated Gun Squadron. Had to be ready to deploy on 24 hours notice. We were a Nuke capable Squadron of A-6E TRAM. Birds. In the 4 years I was in with that unit we spent 3 months out of that 4 years. In country. The rest on deployment. name a place in the south pacific. And we either there or helped bomb it.