PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with POGS?

FutureMarine132
11-29-10, 11:07 PM
I plan to go aircrew. I'm just wondering because I've heard two different perspectives. Do grunts really treat pogs like a piece of sh!t and have no respect towards? Teasing is one thing but I wouldn't understand someone sincerely mocking another Marine because he has different ambitions.

josephd
11-30-10, 01:27 AM
Don't worry about it, every Marine has a job and that job is very important to the Corps.

Infantry is the heart and soul of the Marine Corps but without the support of the wing, cooks, admin, etc. they wouldn't be able to do their job as well as they do.

This is like the argument about which branch is better, harder, or whatever. We all have a job to do and each play a vital role in our nations security.

SlingerDun
11-30-10, 02:10 AM
If you're tired at night from a solid days work, consider yourself worthy of wages and an asset to the Marine Corps or any other outfit.
If you're not tired, PT until you get that way:evilgrin:

Yes some will mock you throughout life. You're not responsible for mean spirited people and their opinion of your occupation.
Every grunt who doesn't die with their boots on ends up a POG, eventually

egbutler1
11-30-10, 03:53 AM

I like that saying but yes u will be mocked and ridiculed and called a pog forever. I did it the way I felt was I had the hard job freaking combat And pogs just did the 9/5 deal and enjoyed the luxury. Being a grunt and living in the dirt fighting being dirty hungry and all that stuff was a badge of honor to us and we always made sure the pogs knew it. Saying that now it is true we need pogs and I respect them as marines but never would be caught dead hanging out with one hehe. I'd have had more respect for them if they got my pay right and didnt try to njp me for stupid stuff, grunts don't belong conus we belong oconus doing what we do best. Don't let the grunts get to you if u make it you are needed as much as we are.

martinj
11-30-10, 05:47 AM
Dude The pogs you wanna be friends with are supply, motor t, comm, and admin. They can hook you the fvck up. But all the other pogs can go fvck themselves hehe.

sparkie
11-30-10, 07:15 AM
I was one of those,,despized till some grunts comm didn't work. What say you now, brother? Want it fixed or not?

Personally I wouldn't hang out with a knuckle dragger,,, their ickey.

03Mike
11-30-10, 10:00 AM
Being a pogue is more of a state of mind than a particular MOS or billet. Now, some MOS's seem to attract more pogues than others. Just because your are aircrew doesn't mean that you are necessarily a pogue.

Give a Marine a reason think you're a pogue - you'll be treated like one.

dback13
11-30-10, 11:53 AM
That doesn't even make sence.
POG, Person Other than Grunt. So unless you have 03 in front of your MOS number, then you're a pog.

DrZ
11-30-10, 12:13 PM
LOL...better be good kids... in case you have not noticed... CMC is a Naval Aviator. That's right... a POG.

So who is going to run up and tell him he isn't sh!te? LOL.

IronKnee
11-30-10, 12:20 PM

excuse me? plenty of infantry Marines have come home alive and well yet are still grunts. one's MOS has nothing to do with how one dies

IronKnee
11-30-10, 12:23 PM
Dude The pogs you wanna be friends with are supply, motor t, comm, and admin. They can hook you the fvck up. But all the other pogs can go fvck themselves hehe.

Tell that to the airframe mechanic that ensures the CH-46 can actually get in the air when a recon Marine takes a round to the neck and needs an evac.

You can go **** yourself as well; the tip of the spear is useless without the rest of it in support.

03Mike
11-30-10, 04:00 PM
That doesn't even make sence.
POG, Person Other than Grunt. So unless you have 03 in front of your MOS number, then you're a pog.

Must be a generational thing - we used to refer to them as "pogues" - also known as "REMFs"

In the lexicon that I grew up with, a Pogue was someone in the rear echelon who had no clue as to what the folks in the field were doing or what life was like "at the front". A pogue was usually identified by signs such as neatly pressed cammies and "spit-shined jungle boots" (now there's an oxymoron). They also usually wore a big-assed knife somewhere on their gear and had plenty of "war-stories". I knew plenty of 03XXs who would qualify as pogues - infantrymen with clean finger nails and with no callusses on their feet - who ate one MRE a day because the chow hall only served "two hots" - and slept in a cot at night - and made daily runs to the PX for "pogey bait" and got bent out of shape when the "auto-dog" ran out of ice cream. I guess it was technically "person on ground with unused equipment" - "on ground" meaning "in-country" - folks that still had all the paint on their e-tools and sterile canteen cups.

There were many non-pogues who were in MOSs other than 03XX -- I would never refer to my corpsman as a pogue - nor my last artillery FO (the one before him, sure, he was a pogue). Same goes for my combat engineers - they were always right there next to us, carrying the same gear - if not more, eating the same chow, sleeping in the same mud, and to a man, they'd kick the crap out of some 03XX REMF who called them a pogue.

"Person Other than Grunt" - huh... New one on me... kind of loses it's meaning, if you ask me.

03Mike
11-30-10, 04:06 PM
Tell that to the airframe mechanic that ensures the CH-46 can actually get in the air when a recon Marine takes a round to the neck and needs an evac.

You can go **** yourself as well; the tip of the spear is useless without the rest of it in support.

Brother - I knew a few air crew who weren't pogues (by the definition I give above)... especially those running the MEDEVAC birds. For that matter, I knew a few truck drivers, radio operators, and LSB Marines as well.

03Mike
11-30-10, 04:12 PM
Personally I wouldn't hang out with a knuckle dragger,,, their ickey.

Back at ya, Sparkie!

We are a little ickey. You can always identify us by the callusses on our knuckles - you sound like a Marine I'd be happy to share a cup of coffee with.

03Mike
11-30-10, 04:14 PM
What was it Puller said - "New Breed? Old Breed? So long as it's the Marine Breed!"

SlingerDun
11-30-10, 04:30 PM
excuse me? plenty of infantry Marines have come home alive and well yet are still grunts.WTF is this quiff menstruation?! It don't pertain to my quote! Can't you cypher it for what *it is?

My old stuff in Gray: Every grunt who doesn't die with their boots on ends up a POG, eventually.

METAPHOR: "figure of speech" capish?

*The majority of grunts make it to the rear with all their appendages/digits and remain grunts, for awhile. A very few even put in 30 or more years - and eventually.... retire, and are no longer infantry = POG.

Sabes? Fatty?? the constant trolling entity

SlingerDun
11-30-10, 04:43 PM
Being a pogue is more of a state of mindAgree. And not just pertinent to the military. I've taken on civilian apprentices who were of the grunt and pogue mentality. The pogues don't generate as much income when things get sour and gritty, which is about the latter half of any given day in "the field"

FutureMarine132
11-30-10, 04:59 PM
What about grunts stealing things from the barracks. Would I be able to have a desktop PC setup in my barracks room without it getting stolen?

Wyoming
11-30-10, 05:15 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/spacer.gif

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/quote_l.gif Quote:Originally Posted by martinj

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/spacer.gif

IronKnee wrote -

Gotta agree there war hero. **** them pogs. Walk your own ass out wonder boy.

Marine1011
11-30-10, 05:22 PM
POG. Interesting how people have to be better than the next person. So the Infantry is the backbone, true enough.
But picture an infantry company in the field, by itself.
No air support.
No chow.
No admin, so no one is ever going to get a DD-214, they are in forever. Past 20 years.
No motor transport. They carry all the heavy equipment that would be carried, some of it, in vehicles.
No close air support, they are on their own.
No supply, so whatever they have on their backs, at the time, is it.
No reserves, these 0311s are IT.
No sick bay, no doctors, no dentists, got a toothache? Suck it up, there ain't nuthin by infantry. Find you an 0311 dentist.
Need surgery? foggetaboutit, they ain't no doctors, only Infantry.
Need to talk to someone, talk to your CO, there ain't no chaplains either.
Nothing but Infantry, all by themselves, no support of any kind.
Does any of this make any sense? of course it doesn't. Then why degrade other MOS' who do their part too?

Kegler300
11-30-10, 05:34 PM
POGs are the backbone of the Corps and smart enough to outsource the heavy lifting to the grunts...(;

IronKnee
11-30-10, 06:41 PM
WTF is this quiff menstruation?! It don't pertain to my quote! Can't you cypher it for what *it is?

My old stuff in Gray: Every grunt who doesn't die with their boots on ends up a POG, eventually.

METAPHOR: "figure of speech" capish?

*The majority of grunts make it to the rear with all their appendages/digits and remain grunts, for awhile. A very few even put in 30 or more years - and eventually.... retire, and are no longer infantry = POG.

Sabes? Fatty?? the constant trolling entity

I don't care if they did four years and got out, an 03 that goes into combat and comes home with everything intact is still a grunt. No one can take that away.

What about grunts stealing things from the barracks. Would I be able to have a desktop PC setup in my barracks room without it getting stolen?
MOS doesn't make a difference when it comes to Marines ganking each others stuff. There are grunts who manage to never worry about their expensive laptops being stolen and there are desk jockeys whose cheap cell phones grow legs and walk away on the first day.

There's only one thief in the Marine Corps; everyone else is just trying to get their **** back.

SlingerDun
11-30-10, 07:44 PM
I don't care if they did four years and got out, an 03 that goes into combat and comes home with everything intact is still a grunt. No one can take that awayNope, sorry Fatty that's inaccurate emotion.
He is still a Marine, but the USMC will no longer allow a "former" 0300 to operate in one of it's line units as a grunt. Said civilian may enter the field as something like a photojournalist, then again he's not technically a grunt anymore is he? He may not be a pogue, but unless he joins another outfit as a foot troop, he's not a grunt by the traditional definition. Is that "rational" enough for ****s sake!

I used to be a packer
I used to be a wrangler
I used to be a camp jack/dishwasher
I used to be a collegiate/greco wrestler and coach

I used to be a buckaroo, nobody can take that away from me. But ive been a full-time farrier for the last 23 years and as much as i hated to admit it, am no longer a cowhand. My "former" peers made that quite clear through the example of their everyday lifestyle, without even saying a word.

FattyTheFerret on the other hand, with his multiple monikers flaming around the boards like a spoiled mosquito princess irritating and feeding off male attention, has degenerated into the most notorious troll in the history of Leatherneck.com.

congratulations, you're titled!

sparkie
11-30-10, 07:57 PM
Back at ya, Sparkie!

We are a little ickey. You can always identify us by the callusses on our knuckles - you sound like a Marine I'd be happy to share a cup of coffee with.

You know I was funnin. Lookin at my sig, you can see I was tight with grunt units. We all went to the Ville. We all did our ****s in the pitts. I was proud to have served the pounders.

In fact, 03Mike,,,,, I'll share a 12 with ya. :beer:

sparkie
11-30-10, 08:06 PM
you are sooooo off base I'm about to declare you UA. A grunt is a Marine,,, you just went too far,,,,,.

thezero
11-30-10, 09:43 PM

You don't live with grunts in the barracks. So no worrys and if you have an okay set up you should be able to lock up your desktop no problem. And on deployment your probably not going to bring a desktop so don't worry.

usmcrro
12-01-10, 12:11 AM
Must be a generational thing - we used to refer to them as "pogues" - also known as "REMFs"

In the lexicon that I grew up with, a Pogue was someone in the rear echelon who had no clue as to what the folks in the field were doing or what life was like "at the front". A pogue was usually identified by signs such as neatly pressed cammies and "spit-shined jungle boots" (now there's an oxymoron). They also usually wore a big-assed knife somewhere on their gear and had plenty of "war-stories". I knew plenty of 03XXs who would qualify as pogues - infantrymen with clean finger nails and with no callusses on their feet - who ate one MRE a day because the chow hall only served "two hots" - and slept in a cot at night - and made daily runs to the PX for "pogey bait" and got bent out of shape when the "auto-dog" ran out of ice cream. I guess it was technically "person on ground with unused equipment" - "on ground" meaning "in-country" - folks that still had all the paint on their e-tools and sterile canteen cups.

There were many non-pogues who were in MOSs other than 03XX -- I would never refer to my corpsman as a pogue - nor my last artillery FO (the one before him, sure, he was a pogue). Same goes for my combat engineers - they were always right there next to us, carrying the same gear - if not more, eating the same chow, sleeping in the same mud, and to a man, they'd kick the crap out of some 03XX REMF who called them a pogue.

"Person Other than Grunt" - huh... New one on me... kind of loses it's meaning, if you ask me.

REMF- Rear Echelon Mother ****er. That one's classic.

usmcrro
12-01-10, 12:24 AM
I plan to go aircrew. I'm just wondering because I've heard two different perspectives. Do grunts really treat pogs like a piece of sh!t and have no respect towards? Teasing is one thing but I wouldn't understand someone sincerely mocking another Marine because he has different ambitions.

It depends. Teasing and mocking is fine- we all make fun of each other in the USMC. On a serious note, when you work with grunts, you need to earn their respect and it's obvious why. Once you do, they don't rip on you as much. Also, most grunts I know hate motards as well. However, this depends on how the unit and Marines there operate.

allengreen65
12-01-10, 05:58 AM
never knew a grunt that didnt appreciate a hot shower, electric lights, power for their radios,,etc...etc...I was with comm in OKI and engrs, at Lejeune

DrZ
12-01-10, 08:15 AM
Gotta tell you.... I was a winger and was damn proud of what I did. I made damn sure all the photorecon and fighter/attack birds were up and running to provide intel and air support for the knuckle draggers out there. I don't seem to remember any 9 - 5 days but then I am old now and my memory fails me at times. When the birds were up and hot....I went to the comm shack helping to fix the PRCs for the same knuckle draggers to make damn sure they had comm back to us lowly POGs in Da Nang and Chu Lai.

Really boils down to this.... the grunts and the wingers have always had a friendly rivalry and they always will. Both groups also knew if the other was needed.... they would have their a$$e$ covered. We mourned the brothers we lost and it didn't matter if they were wingers or grunts..because they are our family.

Theft? Don't bring crap that someone would want to steal and you won't lose anything. Keep in mind that more than just your brothers are around your area...leave crap out and it will grow legs and walk out. This happens.

Tipped many 33s (ba moui ba) with those knuckle draggers and was damn proud to call them my brothers. If they call you a POG....big f*cking deal. We are POGs and they are POWs (People other than Wingers.) but we are all Marines.

egbutler1
12-01-10, 03:56 PM
It depends. Teasing and mocking is fine- we all make fun of each other in the USMC. On a serious note, when you work with grunts, you need to earn their respect and it's obvious why. Once you do, they don't rip on you as much. Also, most grunts I know hate motards as well. However, this depends on how the unit and Marines there operate.

Said better than I could, you must earn the respect. I known plenty of guys that were not grunts that gained my respect and entered our close circle of trust.

Marine1011
12-01-10, 04:01 PM
Bottom line, there is one Marine Corps, not twenty or thirty, depending on your MOS. We all work together. Without the other MOS people, our MOS is nothing, it is like the illustration I made earlier, an infantry company out in the field, by themselves, literally.
One Corps, many MOS'. I would think we have already earned respect in the eyes of other Marines as we are Marines too. I hope that respect doesn't keep having to be re-earned. How often, once a year? How often does respect in the Corps have to be earned, so that Marines respect other Marines? A yearly thing? It leads to an absurdity, every Marine having to constantly look good to other Marines, and this disrespect based on what job we do, I don't like it a bit. Sounds like civilians griping about who gets the best marks from the big boss. I thought we were different.
One Corps, many jobs.

03Mike
12-01-10, 04:07 PM
I would think we have already earned respect in the eyes of other Marines as we are Marines too. I hope that respect doesn't keep having to be re-earned.

From my experience - limited as it may be - regardless of MOS, you have respect until you give a Marine reason to doubt it. As a leader of Marines (commissioned or non-commissioned), you start with the respect of your Marines, but you damn well better earn it every day.

Marine1011
12-01-10, 04:18 PM
Exactly. I agree. It appeared to me that some here have reversed the order of those things, starting off with the idea that respect is not there unless earned. I, like you, maintain that the respect should already be there unless and until reason is given to think otherwise.

IronKnee
12-01-10, 06:48 PM
Nope, sorry Fatty that's inaccurate emotion.
He is still a Marine, but the USMC will no longer allow a "former" 0300 to operate in one of it's line units as a grunt. Said civilian may enter the field as something like a photojournalist, then again he's not technically a grunt anymore is he? He may not be a pogue, but unless he joins another outfit as a foot troop, he's not a grunt by the traditional definition. Is that "rational" enough for ****s sake!

I used to be a packer
I used to be a wrangler
I used to be a camp jack/dishwasher
I used to be a collegiate/greco wrestler and coach

I used to be a buckaroo, nobody can take that away from me. But ive been a full-time farrier for the last 23 years and as much as i hated to admit it, am no longer a cowhand. My "former" peers made that quite clear through the example of their everyday lifestyle, without even saying a word.

FattyTheFerret on the other hand, with his multiple monikers flaming around the boards like a spoiled mosquito princess irritating and feeding off male attention, has degenerated into the most notorious troll in the history of Leatherneck.com.

congratulations, you're titled!

Whatever. You tell any of the grunts I know that they were no longer grunts after they got out and you'll get an earful.

IronKnee
12-01-10, 06:50 PM
you are sooooo off base I'm about to declare you UA. A grunt is a Marine,,, you just went too far,,,,,.

are you kidding? Marines steal stuff from each other all the time

there's a reason they sell locks at the px and it's not because anyone thinks the construction crew is going to sneak into wall lockers

Marine1011
12-01-10, 06:50 PM
OK. We will tell them.

DontTreadOnMe
12-01-10, 07:53 PM
Yeah us Utilities Marines can either hook you up or leave you in the dirt, wanna call me a POG and cop an attitude and you just wont be able to power up your precious IPOD's and Laptops or get heat or A/C in that tent of yours. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect the 03 field they do an incredible job for our country, but its ignorant to put down non-grunts we bust are a** for a lot of grunts to get what they need and a lot of the times what they really don't need or require regarding there mission, also at the same time provide our own security like sitting on crew served weapons, sweeping ect. To put it plain and simple only boot grunts who have never experienced field combat are usually the ones to mouth of to us "POG". After all I havent recieived numerous awards from infantry battalions for doing nothing. The real grunts know and respect all of the Marine Corps mission because the corps runs like a clock with the support of a lot of moving parts.

dback13
12-01-10, 10:55 PM

Since when do you guys do medevacs? The only one's I've seen are Army blackhawks.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-01-10, 11:39 PM
Well, this has deteriorated into the usual monkee poo throwing firearms flame frak you thread.

Done.