PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts

Skid
11-28-10, 12:03 PM
Hello everyone! My son just graduated from Basic at MCRD and is home on RA till after the Holidays. I'm at a loss as what he could take back with him for his school. He's going to Camp 29 Palms for communications. Any ideas?

Thanks!

DanM
11-28-10, 12:05 PM
Sunscreen and sun glasses.

hbharrison
11-28-10, 01:28 PM
Tell your son congrats and yes to the sunscreen and sun glasses.

SGT7477
11-28-10, 03:13 PM
Hello everyone! My son just graduated from Basic at MCRD and is home on RA till after the Holidays. I'm at a loss as what he could take back with him for his school. He's going to Camp 29 Palms for communications. Any ideas?

Thanks!
We don't have basic in our beloved Marine Corps it's boot camp, how about a K-Bar? Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin:

Supersquishy
11-28-10, 03:13 PM
A nice Casio G-shock all black watch. Still wear mine, from my Mom,
or a leatherman, I still wear mine, from my Dad.

Skid
11-28-10, 03:17 PM
We were thinking a Ka-Bar knife. He bought a watch already, but sunglasses might work. Any specs on them? I ask because in the Army they need to be all black.

Old Marine
11-28-10, 04:22 PM
No pancakes with syrup.

Zulu 36
11-28-10, 04:51 PM
I second Supersquishy's suggestion of a Leatherman tool. Especially if he is going into commo. I used the heck out of mine during Desert Storm, including cutting and splicing commo wire, and as a police officer.

A Leatherman tool is something he can use every day, unlike a K-Bar.

SlingerDun
11-28-10, 06:14 PM
10 inch portable Blu-ray/DVD player. Relatively cheap, and if it breaks; no big deal.
Or a pair of Danner Jungles.

I suppose he'll appreciate what ever you decide on, long as it don't suck

Skid
11-28-10, 07:50 PM
I think I'll go with the Ka-Bar. I have several leathermans from my deployments, some of still in the box, and he can have those if he wants.
Thanks for the suggestions.

hbharrison
11-28-10, 08:32 PM
Have you looked at "Sgt Grit" Marine catalog they have one h*ll of a lot of good stuff and at reasonable prices. You can find them on the net just type "Sgt Grit" it will come up.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-29-10, 01:02 AM
As a former Commo guy, leatherman. Followed by a nice Kbar. Nothing fancy or 'OMG' high speed.

Next on the list, more socks. Likely his are getting worn. Get the best you can afford.

Stumps is COLD in Jan/Feb, when I was there. Make sure he doesn't forget his Goretex and long underwear. If he doesn't have it, get some of that.

Lastly, a good stocking cap, which they can wear, coyote brown. Can't recall what they are called though.

Casedizzy2821
11-29-10, 01:43 AM
I would advise against a ka-bar because they are useless in comm. Not to mention you can get in trouble for carrying them around. Go with a leatherman/gerber. I would go with a nice one, because on the cheap ones, the blades always break.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

SlingerDun
11-29-10, 02:04 AM
...stocking cap..... coyote brownyeah, you mean the one with a Carhartt patch:cool: i like those

dback13
11-29-10, 02:45 AM
Why does it have to be Marine Corps related?
What does he like to do?

dback13
11-29-10, 02:49 AM
Why does it have to be Marine Corps related?
What does he like to do?

Supersquishy
11-29-10, 05:51 AM
yeah, you mean the one with a Carhartt patch:cool: i like those

Ohh yeah, a nice Carhart detroit jacket would be good, its non-moto, can be worn around town and base and will last for years, I still have mine from 10 years ago.